The Student Room Group

Is there any point of taking 4 A levels?

Does taking 4 A levels rather than 3 make you stand out? (of course, if you do well in them)

And if anyone does, how hard is the work load? Languages in particular.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't bother taking 4 A Levels unless you're doing maths and further maths. The workload is already huge with 3 and most unis will make you an offer on the basis of 3 unless you're doing the above option and applying to somewhere like imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No, don't do it. 3 is plenty, if you take 4 the workload will kill you (unless they compliment each other, like Maths and Further Maths)
You know what, I still do 4 A levels and I wouldn't change it for the world. I do maths and 3 sciences, I enjoy all of my subjects and am enthusiastic in working towards all of them.

Doing 4 rarely gives you an advantage (it depends on the course and the university) however if you feel like you could cope with the workload and are already getting good grades, I say go for it.

Just ENSURE that you like all of your subjects. There's nothing worse than becoming demotivated half way through the year.

Ps. for the people saying that 4 subjects is too much of a workload, I disagree. It keeps me busy and I think if I only did 3 than I'd be bored half the time.
Reply 4
Well I do 5 and find the work load fine. I do maths, further maths, physics, economics and business. It probably depends on your subjects but I'd say do four because say you did 3, when it comes to your A2 June exams and you mess up in just one exam, it can effect your whole grade for that subject, and therefore mean you won't meet your offer for uni. Doing 4 means you have like a back up (like an insurance sort of) makes you more safe. And most of the time, doing the fourth supports the other 3 anyway so the extra work load wouldn't be too high. Like I say, I do 5 and find it fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I'm predicted 3A*s and 2As by the way, and I'm definitely not the cleverest! So it can be done!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by awilson008
You know what, I still do 4 A levels and I wouldn't change it for the world. I do maths and 3 sciences, I enjoy all of my subjects and am enthusiastic in working towards all of them.

Doing 4 rarely gives you an advantage (it depends on the course and the university) however if you feel like you could cope with the workload and are already getting good grades, I say go for it.

Just ENSURE that you like all of your subjects. There's nothing worse than becoming demotivated half way through the year.

Ps. for the people saying that 4 subjects is too much of a workload, I disagree. It keeps me busy and I think if I only did 3 than I'd be bored half the time.

Yes, I agree. Although I chose to carry on 3, if you feel you can do 4 go for it. I however felt that carrying on four would do me more bad than good because I have the tendency to not equally balance revision out as I find this hard. I'm doing 3 A Levels at the moment and am struggling!
Original post by Kousar
Yes, I agree. Although I chose to carry on 3, if you feel you can do 4 go for it. I however felt that carrying on four would do me more bad than good because I have the tendency to not equally balance revision out as I find this hard. I'm doing 3 A Levels at the moment and am struggling!

Fair enough, obviously everyone will be different. I think a big factor is the subjects that are being done. If there are large coursework elements to the subject then this may take time away from other subjects. Also if you enjoy one subject than another there's a tendency to shy away from the less desired subject.

Luckily I like all my subjects so balancing my efforts between them isn't too difficult!

It is important to balance what you would like to do with what you want to achieve.
If you take 4 it does make you look better and even if you just get an E and drop it, that can help when it comes to applying for uni next year because you may get offers for points and the 20 points you get for an E at AS means you can get a B instead of an A or a C instead of a B in one of your A levels. Also its good to have four because many people that took only 3 at AS hated one failed it and had to resit the year and start all over again. Also the work load isn't too much at AS unless you take more than 2 coursework subjects.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by xMr_BrightSide
No, don't do it. 3 is plenty, if you take 4 the workload will kill you (unless they compliment each other, like Maths and Further Maths)

Don't generalise, a lot of people can cope quite easily with the workload of 4/5 subjects.
Original post by nespix
Don't bother taking 4 A Levels unless you're doing maths and further maths. The workload is already huge with 3 and most unis will make you an offer on the basis of 3 unless you're doing the above option and applying to somewhere like imperial.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why Maths and Further Maths may I ask?
Reply 11

I am finding it so hard to retain information

I revised so so sooooooooo much for my Chemistry exam and only got a B (1 raw mark off an A) but I got an A in Physics.

I just can't store information in my brain... I find Physics and Maths so logical and intuitive most of the time.. but in Biology exams I just come to questions and have no idea what to write :frown:

I would love 4 As in maths and science... I without a doubt put in the hours but since my January module chemistry result.. I have gave up on it and biology

I just see no point in working for them:frown:
It depends on the entry requirements for the uni and course you are applying for. Id definitely do 4 in year 12, then drop one of then at the end of AS.
Depends if you think you can cope with it.

Plenty of us find/found it no trouble, but for some people it's probably better just to focus upon 3 and get decent grades in them. You have a better idea of what's gonna work for you.
I take 5 and the workload is fine. 4 is probably the best number to take as its not too much work and you will still have enough free time. 3 a-levels isn't really enough in my opinion to demonstrate to universities that you can apply yourself and manage your time effectively.
Original post by madfish
I am finding it so hard to retain information

I revised so so sooooooooo much for my Chemistry exam and only got a B (1 raw mark off an A) but I got an A in Physics.

I just can't store information in my brain... I find Physics and Maths so logical and intuitive most of the time.. but in Biology exams I just come to questions and have no idea what to write :frown:

I would love 4 As in maths and science... I without a doubt put in the hours but since my January module chemistry result.. I have gave up on it and biology

I just see no point in working for them:frown:

With biology it's just important to nail the exam technique. As you said, physics and maths have a large element of 'logical thinking' that make it a bit easier on the revision workload. But with biology, the only way to get a top grade is playing the 'game' of the exam. Do ALL of the past papers. Anything you don't know, top up your knowledge using your notes.

For chemistry, you are only 1 mark off, so to say that you want to give up is crazy! Our january module was on the organic topic, so the final exam may be on something that you enjoy more or are better at. Just don't lose your motivation, because in the end, what you put in is what you get out :smile:

I wish you the best of luck, keep fighting! :smile:
Reply 16
With biology it's just important to nail the exam technique. As you said, physics and maths have a large element of 'logical thinking' that make it a bit easier on the revision workload. But with biology, the only way to get a top grade is playing the 'game' of the exam. Do ALL of the past papers. Anything you don't know, top up your knowledge using your notes.

For chemistry, you are only 1 mark off, so to say that you want to give up is crazy! Our january module was on the organic topic, so the final exam may be on something that you enjoy more or are better at. Just don't lose your motivation, because in the end, what you put in is what you get out :smile:

I wish you the best of luck, keep fighting! :smile:

aww thank you :smile:

are you taking a break before starting for summer exam revision?
Reply 17
Original post by calla_lily
I take 5 and the workload is fine. 4 is probably the best number to take as its not too much work and you will still have enough free time. 3 a-levels isn't really enough in my opinion to demonstrate to universities that you can apply yourself and manage your time effectively.

How often did you revise? If you don't mind me asking..
Reply 18
Original post by L1000
Does taking 4 A levels rather than 3 make you stand out? (of course, if you do well in them)

And if anyone does, how hard is the work load? Languages in particular.

I take 4, the work is crippling me and I have no life!
I take one language, German, and the AS workload was nothing but A2 is horrible there's such a big step up. I would recommend only taking 3 unless you really love your subjects and think you can handle the workload, otherwise you really don't need the 4th to be honest
Original post by madfish
How often did you revise? If you don't mind me asking..

No I don't mind :tongue:!! 'did' - is actually do, since I am doing 5 at the moment!! I don't revise that much, I put the work in when needed. It works fine for me (it always has) and I did well in my January modules :smile:. I haven't started revision for summer exams yet but I will be starting that soon. When I do revise, I go through the textbooks, make my own notes and learn them off by heart as far a possible (I rarely remember exact wording but as long as I remember the key points thats okay!)!! I tend to do a few hours on 1 subject, take a break and then a few hours on another. Does that help? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest