The Student Room Group

I'm alone all Easter break, what to do?

As the title says, I will be spending Easter all alone. Going home is not really an easy option for me, because my mother has recently passed away, and my elder brother lives in Switzerland. Although my parents have been divorced since I was 2 years old, my father is living in my home because he has no where else to go. He is a vile man who is physically and mentally abusive. He won't contribute towards rent or bills because he has no job and doesn't even get benefits. I know if I go back he will hassle me for money and give me a hard time. I just won't be able to relax.

I have a step-mother and half-siblings however I feel like a burden to them when I'm at their house and don't really feel very welcome there. Plus my half sister has made it clear that she is extremely busy revising for exams.

I currently live outside of my home in London, in another city. I live in a catered halls of residence. Pretty much everyone I have spoken to in my halls will be going away during the Easter break.

So I feel like I don't know what I'm going to do with myself, as I have a month off. I do have 3 pieces of coursework to complete and lots of reading and revision to do, but I suppose I would enjoy being around other people.

What do I do? :frown:
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:frown: Aww you poor thing, have you asked any mates whether you can crash at theirs over the holidays?
Reply 2
Original post by pinda.college
:frown: Aww you poor thing, have you asked any mates whether you can crash at theirs over the holidays?

Yeah but to be honest why would their parents want me in their homes, I'm not their responsibility. I literally have no-one. :frown:
Original post by Depressed1993
Yeah but to be honest why would their parents want me in their homes, I'm not their responsibility. I literally have no-one. :frown:

I would expect my closet friends to vouch for me and convince their parents about my circumstances. Perhaps an old childhood friend from highschool would be a better person to ask (someone who lives local to your hometown). Make it clear that you only need a place to stay, offer to contribute financially too.
Reply 4
i never go home for easter, last year i managed to pop home for a weekend, but purely because i needed to get away.

i found in first year there was always people around my campus, and even some people popping in and out of my halls, so i was not alone.
could you ask old school friends if they want to come and visit you maybe and stay for a few days? just to break up the time.

you will find ways to fill your time, and if you have essays and revision to complete that will help. maybe skype a few people over easter?
Reply 5
Original post by PonchoKid
i never go home for easter, last year i managed to pop home for a weekend, but purely because i needed to get away.

i found in first year there was always people around my campus, and even some people popping in and out of my halls, so i was not alone.
could you ask old school friends if they want to come and visit you maybe and stay for a few days? just to break up the time.

you will find ways to fill your time, and if you have essays and revision to complete that will help. maybe skype a few people over easter?

I will try, but to be honest I would still feel like an unecessary burden. I'm trying to be strong but this is my first Easter without my mummy.
Reply 6
I will try, but to be honest I would still feel like an unecessary burden. I'm trying to be strong but this is my first Easter without my mummy.

you wont be a burden, if their your friends theyll happily come and visit, and spend time in your new city with you!

you will get through it. i know its difficult, but you have to fill your time with fun things.
such as watching nice films, eating nice food, pampering yourself a bit.
spread these things out with your work, and skyping and what not and it will get easier
Reply 7
you wont be a burden, if their your friends theyll happily come and visit, and spend time in your new city with you!

you will get through it. i know its difficult, but you have to fill your time with fun things.
spread these things out with your work, and skyping and what not and it will get easier

I don't skype because I need a new laptop.

What if I'm not able to stay with my friends and they can't come and see me? The thought of being alone in halls with my thoughts is driving me insane. :frown:
Just stay in your uni halls and focus on your studies.
Reply 9
Original post by Dee Leigh
Just stay in your uni halls and focus on your studies.

+
I'm trying to yes, but it is difficult when you're alone.
I don't skype because I need a new laptop.

What if I'm not able to stay with my friends and they can't come and see me? The thought of being alone in halls with my thoughts is driving me insane. :frown:

it might be hard, but it is dooable. lots of people do it. youll be suprised actually.

but its worth asking your mates. if they are your true mates they will know your situation and im sure theyll be happy to help.
Plenty of people, myself included, would love to have a few weeks alone. You make this sound like some terrible thing when it should be something that anyone could cope with.

And if you really do get super lonely, do what I did last Easter when everyone in the house was away, go and meet new people. A similarly simple task.

And how is it harder to study when alone than with people? Does not compute. People = distractions.

Don't sensible people generally watch nice films and eat nice food anyway? I know I prefer to eat food that I like and if I'm gonna watch something for an hour or two I do prefer to enjoy it.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by concubine
Don't sensible people generally watch nice films and eat nice food anyway? I know I prefer to eat food that I like and if I'm gonna watch something for an hour or two I do prefer to enjoy it.

if your depressed its very easy to NOT do these things. especially if your lonely aswell.
so by remembering to do these it actually cheers you up...
come over to mine & boogie.
Reply 14
Original post by concubine
Plenty of people, myself included, would love to have a few weeks alone. You make this sound like some terrible thing when it should be something that anyone could cope with.

And if you really do get super lonely, do what I did last Easter when everyone in the house was away, go and meet new people. A similarly simple task.

And how is it harder to study when alone than with people? Does not compute. People = distractions.

When you don't have any parents to support you, and a small family that doesn't even live with you, yes you feel incredibly alone especially when you've lost the most important person in your life.

I understand if you're around people all the time, especially if you have a large family, you'd want sometime to yourself.

I am going through a lot and although I'm trying to be strong its still very ****ing hard. So for me, being alone all Easter is not something I would enjoy.
When you don't have any parents to support you, and a small family that doesn't even live with you, yes you feel incredibly alone especially when you've lost the most important person in your life.

I understand if you're around people all the time, especially if you have a large family, you'd want sometime to yourself.

I am going through a lot and although I'm trying to be strong its still very ****ing hard. So for me, being alone all Easter is not something I would enjoy.

I have a small family. I don't see my family much. I've lost two of the most important people in my life.

So. 6_6

Treat the solitude as something good.
+
I'm trying to yes, but it is difficult when you're alone.

It's doable and doesn't need to be so difficult. It may feel a bit strange but you will get used to it. And not everyone gets to go home during the holidays, so there may be some people around.

Hey I kinda know how you feel. I lost my Mum before coming to uni :frown: and my dad is pretty useless. We lost our family home, so now Uni is my home and im always in my house alone, cos my housemates are always going home.

You're not gonna be anyone's responsibility, don't worry about that :smile: Just ask if you could come over for a couple of days. Given the circumstances regarding your mother, I'm sure they'd understand. And even without that, I've always had mates from uni stay over at my home for a couple of nights and visa versa, just to see their home life.

Just think about it the other way. I'm sure if friends wanted to stay round yours for a couple of nights, you wouldn't feel that they're being too much or drowning you in responsibility. Just make sure you know and they know that you will be leaving on a certain day and you don't overstay your welcome.

If you still feel bad about staying, you can always take the whole family out for lunch/dinner at the end of your stay as a thank you :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by Mother_Russia
You're not gonna be anyone's responsibility, don't worry about that :smile: Just ask if you could come over for a couple of days. Given the circumstances regarding your mother, I'm sure they'd understand. And even without that, I've always had mates from uni stay over at my home for a couple of nights and visa versa, just to see their home life.

Just think about it the other way. I'm sure if friends wanted to stay round yours for a couple of nights, you wouldn't feel that they're being too much or drowning you in responsibility. Just make sure you know and they know that you will be leaving on a certain day and you don't overstay your welcome.

If you still feel bad about staying, you can always take the whole family out for lunch/dinner at the end of your stay as a thank you :smile:

I just can't help but feel extremely low, I feel like I don't have a proper family and I really wish I did.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending