The Student Room Group

OCR Physics Unit 2 - G482 - (June Exams Preparation)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Hi everyone, I've just signed up to this, soo getting used to it still, lol. But I'm doing some Physics and I'm stuck on a question, any help on how to do it will be much appreciated:

The alternating electrical supply for the National Grid is generated at 50Hz. Estimate how far the free electrons in the overhead power cables are displaced in one minute for a cable carrying 100 A???
Original post by brawlerpit
Maybe someone who did it as an AS last year could shine some light; are you understanding the topics well?

I haven't gotten around to teaching myself most of it, as I tend to not get a lot out of lessons, we make no notes and I usually leave a lesson not knowing what I was supposed to be learning.
But what I have been through by myself has been fine :smile:
The textbook I have isn't great for practice questions though...
How about you? :smile:
Original post by Dusky Mauve
I haven't gotten around to teaching myself most of it, as I tend to not get a lot out of lessons, we make no notes and I usually leave a lesson not knowing what I was supposed to be learning.
But what I have been through by myself has been fine :smile:
The textbook I have isn't great for practice questions though...
How about you? :smile:

I'm having to teach most of it myself, I've covered the entire Waves unit, the other topics I'll have done by March, but that's relying on the book and YouTube videos... I'm in the same position as you, I walk into lessons, make no notes and leave with no understanding at all. The book is useless as the questions aren't any good and there is a limited amount of them.

There is only like 5 papers for the new spec, so I feel screwed. :frown:
I'm having to teach most of it myself, I've covered the entire Waves unit, the other topics I'll have done by March, but that's relying on the book and YouTube videos... I'm in the same position as you, I walk into lessons, make no notes and leave with no understanding at all. The book is useless as the questions aren't any good and there is a limited amount of them.

There is only like 5 papers for the new spec, so I feel screwed. :frown:

Which book do you have? I have the Cambridge Physics 1 for OCR? It's absolutely useless.
I have 2 revision guides that I'm hoping will get me through it though, I felt like they did for G481! (and watch my results say otherwise... :L)
Original post by Dusky Mauve
Which book do you have? I have the Cambridge Physics 1 for OCR? It's absolutely useless.
I have 2 revision guides that I'm hoping will get me through it though, I felt like they did for G481! (and watch my results say otherwise... :L)

I have the OCR and Heinman copy, and it's revision guide. I don't mind the revision guide, but as the last exam was so worded, the revision guide cuts out some of the key theories.

I screwed Unit 1 so badly, worded questions threw me off, even though I got an A in my mock exam.

Is it a good idea to use the specification as a way to revise? Making notes on each thing?
I have the OCR and Heinman copy, and it's revision guide. I don't mind the revision guide, but as the last exam was so worded, the revision guide cuts out some of the key theories.

I screwed Unit 1 so badly, worded questions threw me off, even though I got an A in my mock exam.

Is it a good idea to use the specification as a way to revise? Making notes on each thing?

The specification's a good tool, like a check list but sometimes it needs you to know about it in greater detail. I'm struggling to write up notes and finding a lot of the physics behind electrical circuits quite difficult to remember, despite being able to fully apply the knowledge to designing and building digital circuit last year! I really feel like A Levels are taking a toll on my brain, will try to get my notes done tho and post soon.

GOOD LUCK FOR TOMORROW EVERYBODY, Let us know what you all got and whether you're planning for retakes!
So... what results did people get? I got a C in physics :< (darn really hated the last unit, was really hoping I wouldn't have to retake it), ^.^ Got an A in Maths C1 tho (Yay, one I won't have to retake!) and a B in Biology (am really glad but will still try to retake see if I can an A). What other subjects and results did you all get? Who else is gonna retake for G481?
Reply 27
Original post by Shinusuke_Akki
So... what results did people get? I got a C in physics :< (darn really hated the last unit, was really hoping I wouldn't have to retake it), ^.^ Got an A in Maths C1 tho (Yay, one I won't have to retake!) and a B in Biology (am really glad but will still try to retake see if I can an A). What other subjects and results did you all get? Who else is gonna retake for G481?

Well done, that's a good set of results! :smile:
I got As in maths, bio and chem and a B in physics, which I am very pleased with and will not retake.
Woooooo got 146/150 in G482 this Jan! :biggrin: Love this module to bits :')
Got a C in Physics :frown: *jumpsoffcliff*
Got a C in Physics :frown: *jumpsoffcliff*

G482?
Reply 31
I managed a B in G481, despite the awful wordiness of the paper! One raw mark off an A, will definitely retake it this summer.

Getting nervous about unit 2. My college has completely screwed us over the physics. We've had two teachers leave and the substitute who was teaching us the electronics was a total fool who didn't understand the stuff he was trying to teach! Honestly, he just mumbled his way through reading from the textbook and then made us play with circuits every lesson. Waves wasn't going much better. Last week new teacher started and she is amazing though so I really hope she can save it! But of course we've still got most of our unit 3 practicals to do so I just don't know if there's enough time to get all of it done...

Ah well, fingers crossed.
Hi, im going to be retaking the physics mechanics exam (unit g481), can you tell me if this is a 6 unit subject or a 4 unit subject?
Reply 33
Original post by TheIsotope
Hi, im going to be retaking the physics mechanics exam (unit g481), can you tell me if this is a 6 unit subject or a 4 unit subject?

For OCR the whole A-level is 6 units, but there are only 4 written exams. G481 is the first unit worth 30% of the AS. The two non-exam units are made up of practical assessments, worth 20% of the grade each year. Unit 2 (G482) will be worth the other 50% of the AS grade.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
G482?

G841 , the Mechanics module. I will fail G482, despite my love of physics.
Disappointed because I got 100ums in c1 and physics screwed me over ;(
Original post by sessess
I managed a B in G481, despite the awful wordiness of the paper! One raw mark off an A, will definitely retake it this summer.

Getting nervous about unit 2. My college has completely screwed us over the physics. We've had two teachers leave and the substitute who was teaching us the electronics was a total fool who didn't understand the stuff he was trying to teach! Honestly, he just mumbled his way through reading from the textbook and then made us play with circuits every lesson. Waves wasn't going much better. Last week new teacher started and she is amazing though so I really hope she can save it! But of course we've still got most of our unit 3 practicals to do so I just don't know if there's enough time to get all of it done...

Ah well, fingers crossed.

I am taught by somebody who spent the past 5 hours worth of lessons showing us YouTube videos over and over again, without any explanations.

I'm really unsure what to do about Physics now :/
G841 , the Mechanics module. I will fail G482, despite my love of physics.
Disappointed because I got 100ums in c1 and physics screwed me over ;(

Now now, G482 isn't that bad :redface:. Make sure you fully understand all the topics, and are able to give perfect answers for all the worded questions by checking markschemes and you'll do well! The only downside is that there's only like 6/7 past papers for it!

Well done in C1! You beat me by 2 UMS :tongue:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Now now, G482 isn't that bad :redface:. Make sure you fully understand all the topics, and are able to give perfect answers for all the worded questions by checking markschemes and you'll do well! The only downside is that there's only like 6/7 past papers for it!

Well done in C1! You beat me by 2 UMS :tongue:

G482 looks horrible, I can just imagine all the wording in that exam.

Well done on 98! That's really good.
G482 looks horrible, I can just imagine all the wording in that exam.

Well done on 98! That's really good.

The wording isn't bad in the exam trust me, each G482 paper follows the same structure, it starts off easy with Electricity stuff (simple calculations and sketching circuits), then it gets a bit challenging with all the complex wave theory, and then lastly you get a bit of Quantum at the end which is really nice and if you're lucky you may even get a little mini-essay on Quantum theory :biggrin:. It's just that the exam is really long and tiring I almost wanted to just give up on this exam in Jan :tongue:, but I'm glad I didn't as I ended up with a good mark (146/150). And another thing is the grade boundaries for G482 are relatively low compared to G481 which I'm taking in June.
Reply 39
I am taught by somebody who spent the past 5 hours worth of lessons showing us YouTube videos over and over again, without any explanations.

I'm really unsure what to do about Physics now :/

What kind of youtube videos? Our crap teacher made us watch ten minutes of a car chase from a terminator movie and then said "see, that was all about stopping distances" and then told us to read about it in the textbook. For a whole lesson. :unimpressed:

What do you mean you're unsure what to do? I've started reading revision books and looking stuff up online and I already feel like it's helping me to understand better. 10 weeks til exams, still plenty of time to learn it if we start now and work hard!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending