The Student Room Group

Cambridge UMS Quesion

Hi
I want to study Medicine at Cambridge uni. Today I got my as jan marks back
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
physics 100/120 A (Disappointed)
I was just wondering if my lower physics ums would affect my ums average, im not planning on taking it for A2.
Also is it the average of the highest ums values so maths bio and chem for me?
finally what ums average should I be aiming for?
Thanks
Reply 1
They will take all your subjects into account because they're all related to the degree.
Ideally you should be aiming for an average of 95%+ however there is no definitive value. Around 95 will put you in a very good position though considering the quality of other applicants.

The physics result will have minimal affect on your application, keep going at this rate and you're likely to do very well :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by uniphysics
They will take all your subjects into account because they're all related to the degree.
Ideally you should be aiming for an average of 95%+ however there is no definitive value. Around 95 will put you in a very good position though considering the quality of other applicants.

The physics result will have minimal affect on your application, keep going at this rate and you're likely to do very well :smile:

Thanks for the reply, so is cambridge the only uni that really looks at your ums as opposed to just grades, I like the sound of imperial college as well
Reply 3
Original post by Mo_maths
Thanks for the reply, so is cambridge the only uni that really looks at your ums as opposed to just grades, I like the sound of imperial college as well

Yes I think soo, but more and more Uni's are starting to ask for it. For Medicine you have to keep in mind that Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL require the BMAT and maybe UKCAT as well which is another barrier :P

Most school's will base a prediction on your AS UMS, so the Uni is likely to look at your predictions and AS grades mainly to judge who gets an interview.
Hi
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
I was just wondering if my lower physics ums would affect my ums average, im not planning on taking it for A2.
Thanks

From my understanding they only look at the 3 most applicable subjects to the course. So in this case Chemistry Maths and Biology if you get =>93 ums average that should put you in a good place. You are also auto pooled if you have an average ums of 93 or higher.

But I may be wrong.
Reply 5
If someone was to retake a january module in the summer, would they be at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge for Medicine?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Hi
chem 95/100 A
maths 94/100 A
bio 95/100 A
Thanks

I'm a first year at Cambridge and if I recall correctly, its usually the UMS scores in your three most relevant subjects that are important.

95% is often mentioned as a good number, so I think you're fine on the UMS front. At more competitive colleges, that figure may rise slightly.
Reply 7
Original post by StudentAT
If someone was to retake a january module in the summer, would they be at a disadvantage when applying to Cambridge for Medicine?

Universities don't see retakes from January to June but they do see retakes from June to January!

Posted from TSR Mobile
nice results - i got 120/120 in biology SO FAR (im doing salters), but I only got 81/90 (90%) in chemistry - should I retake to apply to oxford?
Reply 9
Original post by cyberphilic_9999
nice results - i got 120/120 in biology SO FAR (im doing salters), but I only got 81/90 (90%) in chemistry - should I retake to apply to oxford?

Oxford interview on a combination of % of A*s at GCSE and BMAT score - they don't care about AS UMS as long as you are predicted good A2s. You should have at least 70% A*s, preferably 90 - 100% unless you have a very good BMAT to compenstae.
Original post by StudentAT

If you resit and substantially improve your score, that can only improve your position.

People get confused and think that a resit per se will be looked down upon, but actually if anything were to be taken into account it would be the low score you got first time. Resitting, unless you get a similarly low score again (which would be bad), can't hurt.

If you get one or two low scores first time around, and resit them to get high scores, you've nothing to worry about. If it's happening with every module, then it becomes a worry.
Original post by TimmonaPortella
If you resit and substantially improve your score, that can only improve your position.

People get confused and think that a resit per se will be looked down upon, but actually if anything were to be taken into account it would be the low score you got first time. Resitting, unless you get a similarly low score again (which would be bad), can't hurt.

If you get one or two low scores first time around, and resit them to get high scores, you've nothing to worry about. If it's happening with every module, then it becomes a worry.

I agree, it says somewhere on their website that Cambridge understands that everyone has their 'off-days', so the odd resit would not be a significant concern. However, if a lots of resits had to be done (assuming no extenuating circumstances) they would be more worried about your ability.
I think you'll have to give both your original and resit results on the Cambridge SAQ form (but other unis will just see your best result).
Original post by cyberphilic_9999

Oxford don't look at your UMS results, so no problem there. 90% is still very high, there is no need to resit!
The only case where you would be worried about UMS would be for your college A2 predictions - at my college they only predict A*s to people with over 90% average in the AS. But you're still on target for that, and your college may be more flexible...
Don't resit - it's much better to concentrate on revising for the more important summer exams.
Original post by NimbusCumulus
From my understanding they only look at the 3 most applicable subjects to the course. So in this case Chemistry Maths and Biology if you get =>93 ums average that should put you in a good place. You are also auto pooled if you have an average ums of 93 or higher.

But I may be wrong.

There is no automatic pooling for medicine.

Also I heard automatic pooling was only for people, applying for non medical courses with UMS of higher than 97.
Reply 14
Original post by NimbusCumulus

But I may be wrong.

Unfortunately for medicine (and maths) the autopool isn't used :frown:
But I THINK you're correct about the three most applicable subjects?
I'm not entirely sure but I think it's the three highest subjects for arts degrees and the three most applicable for science degrees
Reply 15
Hi, im applying for HSPS at Cambridge this year. Due to extenuating circumstances, i got AABB in my AS results. One of the Bs is being remarked and ive dropped the other for A2. My average for my three best is 81 ums, i know the average for cam is 90 though. With extenuating circumstances and one resit as well, applying to kings college, does anyone think i have a chance? Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending