The Student Room Group

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

This forum has not discussed SEN at all, so here is a thread to discuss this matter

I think there should be more support for the child
Reply 1
There also needs to be more education for the staff working with people with SEN. Some of the attitudes I've had from so-called disability support have been shocking.
Reply 2
Original post by OU Student
There also needs to be more education for the staff working with people with SEN. Some of the attitudes I've had from so-called disability support have been shocking.

True

I thought I create a thread because it has not been touched on
What type of SEN are we talking about? If it's PMLD then I'm not surprised that TSR doesn't discuss it much, because it's generally a forum of high achieving academic students. I have seen the odd thread around for SpLD though.
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
What type of SEN are we talking about? If it's PMLD then I'm not surprised that TSR doesn't discuss it much, because it's generally a forum of high achieving academic students. I have seen the odd thread around for SpLD though.

Everything
Reply 5
Do schools work closely with charities to get more of an idea of how to support a child with SEN? Because I think that's something that should be done.
Reply 6
All SENCOs have to have a Masters degree specifically in being a SENCO so have been taught how to support children. There are also many organisations that work closely with children inside and out of schools, supporting the kids for a range of SEN.
Reply 7
Original post by Emmabob
All SENCOs have to have a Masters degree specifically in being a SENCO so have been taught how to support children. There are also many organisations that work closely with children inside and out of schools, supporting the kids for a range of SEN.

But this doesn't mean they'll know about all disabilities. They're probably only taught about the more common ones, causing problems for those of us with rare diseases.
Reply 8
Admittedly, no they don't. However, this is where the other organisations come in. We've recently had a student with a physical disability start at the school I work at and the SENCO worked with many different organisations relating to them, links to the primary school and what we would be facing as a team in order to support them. An outside organisation also came and trained us all so that we could support them.
Reply 9
Original post by Morgsie
True

I thought I create a thread because it has not been touched on

We do have an entire forum devoted to the matter, so that's hardly true.
Reply 10
Original post by Craghyrax

That covers Higher Education mainly, this one covers primary and Secondary education aswell as the broader picture of educational policy
Original post by Morgsie
That covers Higher Education mainly, this one covers primary and Secondary education aswell as the broader picture of educational policy
The Disabled Student's forum is for issues related to any kind of disability at any stage in schooling.

I wasn't suggesting that your thread doesn't belong here. A discussion about SEN issues is just as relevant as any other topic in Educational Debate! I'm being a pedant and challenging your generalisation that this isn't discussed anywhere else on the site :wink: If you browsed old forum pages of Disabled Students you'd find quite a variety in terms of what people have posted threads on.
Original post by Craghyrax

Not all disabled students have SEN.
Original post by OU Student
Not all disabled students have SEN.
Of course. I'm not sure how that's relevant to my point though. SENs are considered a type of disability, which means that the Disabled Student's forum does incorporate discussion about them.
Reply 14
Original post by Emmabob

no they dont. i am a trainee teacher specializing in SEN and i could be a SENCO after ive worked for a few years as a class teacher to get more experience. my mum used to be a SENCO and she doesnt have a masters degree.
Reply 15
Most SENCOs I've worked with have a Masters or are getting a Masters. Its just what I've experienced so presumed that was the norm

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending