The Student Room Group

Economics

The Office for National Statistics recently announced that the unemployment rate was reduced to 7.8% from 7.9%. In your opinion, which type of unemployment is responsible for this reduction? Explain your answer.

I know the main types of unemployment but i dont feel as though i have enough knowledge to answer the question.

Please someone help! :frown:
Reply 1
It could be any type of unemployment..although, Cyclical seems the most obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile
If it's talking about the unemployment for the christmas period it could also be seasonal unemployment.

It could even be more people taking up part-time work due to themselves being unable to find full-time employment.
Reply 3
Original post by MalteseMalteser
If it's talking about the unemployment for the christmas period it could also be seasonal unemployment.

It could even be more people taking up part-time work due to themselves being unable to find full-time employment.

Yeah, it could be anything, is there any case study?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by LZS
It could be any type of unemployment..although, Cyclical seems the most obvious

Posted from TSR Mobile

hi there, why do you think that cyclical seems the most obvious one? i have a similar question as the guy who posted the question.
Reply 5
Original post by kevintwc
hi there, why do you think that cyclical seems the most obvious one? i have a similar question as the guy who posted the question.

It's hard to say due to the lack of information, but we could say that the unemployment rate was reduced due to an increase in something that affected AD (in a positive way) hence causing employment to increase. I doubt full employment would be at 7.x% for a country hence there's probably going to be some cyclical unemployment among other types.

Quick Reply

Latest