The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revising for Summer exams?

Scroll to see replies

Started revision a week ago and after receiving my results yesterday am now going full-steam ahead with revision.

I'm getting all of my revision material ready so that I don't have to prepare it all come May/June. I have 7 exams this June and 6 of those are essay-based subjects requiring a lot of quotes to memorise. To top it all off, I have two days where I have two exams on each day so it makes last-minute revision for the latter exam that day all the more harder.

I'm currently doing about 2-4 hours a night and aim to maintain this all the way through to exams, but I'm still having my own 'downtime' i.e. I still play videogames for a couple of hours and go to work at weekends. But revising now is seriously helping me remember some of the things that I'd have previously forgotten had I left revision to a later date.
Original post by soohyun_hoon
Try telling that to my parents - my dad will end up shouting at me, and my mum will nag, like normal

Disadvantages of having strict parents :frown:

Without meaning to stereotype, do you happen to be Asian/Indian and do science's? How did you do in January? I couldn't do what you're doing, not least because you can't be getting enough sleep.
Reply 102
LZS
OP
Original post by AmyLH
Yes, just occasionally test yourself as well to make sure it's going in. I've done this for memorising maths and chemistry equations a lot :smile:

Okay thanks, I'll make some then :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 103
LZS
OP
Original post by Swords N Thorns
I was quite happy with my results, got AAA in bio, chem and maths in the end, so my revision technique can't have been too shabby. This is how I've been revising:

- Start revising from the start. Some days I'll do 30 minutes a day, some days I'll do 3 hours a day, sometimes I won't do any revision at all today. Just go over what you did in your lessons that day, read the pages over, make sure you understand it all. If not, work at it until you do. If it only takes 5 minutes to understand everything, just leave it at that, and relax.

- In your free periods, actually do work. I usually do revision in this time. I usually alternate between bio and chem, and it just helps to refresh my memory so I don't forget things. I usually do maths solomon papers in the morning before college starts, just to try and slot some revision in.

- I usually save my homework until the weekend, but I don't do any revision at the weekends.

- Most of the time, don't bother wasting your time on pretty posters etc. Just learn it.

- Do all past papers when you've finished the syllabus. Then do them all again just before your exam. Memorise the mark schemes, key phrases etc. (Mostly applies to bio and chem).
I never bothered reading around the syllabus/reading examiners reports etc. I tried it, but felt like I was wasting my time.

Hope this helped! :smile:

I'll definitely try some of this, thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 104
Yes and no for me. I want to start revising now, but I can't as I haven't got half my notes done and I might end up over-revising. I've been making revision notes since my January exams ended and the Biology's taking forever but almost done. I write my notes on A4 sheets, Blutac them about my room, recite them to myself daily without looking at them and I'm planning to do two past papers a day given I've got 7 exams in the summer. 3 are mod.1 retakes so they should by easy, 1 is a retake from yesterday's results, but that's only to try and increase my chances of getting a B in Physics. The only one I'm completely relaxed about is Biology as I need about 21 UMS to get an A overall, some of which I can get on my c/w and I've plently of room for improvement in mod.1. Hopefully I can get my notes finished by mid-March and have them memorised by the end of March!
Reply 105
LZS
OP
Original post by Crabbiey
Yes and no for me. I want to start revising now, but I can't as I haven't got half my notes done and I might end up over-revising. I've been making revision notes since my January exams ended and the Biology's taking forever but almost done. I write my notes on A4 sheets, Blutac them about my room, recite them to myself daily without looking at them and I'm planning to do two past papers a day given I've got 7 exams in the summer. 3 are mod.1 retakes so they should by easy, 1 is a retake from yesterday's results, but that's only to try and increase my chances of getting a B in Physics. The only one I'm completely relaxed about is Biology as I need about 21 UMS to get an A overall, some of which I can get on my c/w and I've plently of room for improvement in mod.1. Hopefully I can get my notes finished by mid-March and have them memorised by the end of March!

So, what you do is write your notes down and then stick them around your wall? This is a great idea. I did wonder what I would do once I had covered the whole spec. So, once I've done all of the notes, stick them around and just try and recite them without looking?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CosmicVengeance
4 is way too much, id do inbetween 2-3 hours and take 30 min break then repeat

Posted from TSR Mobile

Breaks were implied. :smile:
Original post by sickofeducation
i have got 8 exams and dey re all as aswell! college is soo hard? wt subject are u doing?

i do biology chemistry and ict
you ?
Original post by Dr DaMan
Without meaning to stereotype, do you happen to be Asian/Indian and do science's? How did you do in January? I couldn't do what you're doing, not least because you can't be getting enough sleep.

You didn't even have to guess :tongue: - I have Chinese parents, and I do not do any sciences. I study Law, Govt & Politics, and ICT.

My Jan exams were ok, though I could do better if they weren't nagging 24/7
who does accounting, economics and business?

Gcse? I do business

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by 3mma_gal96
Gcse? I do business

Posted from TSR Mobile

i mean a level
Reply 112
So sorry if this is the wrong place to post but here goes anyways. Just wondering, do uni's accept open college results or are they looked down upon?

And, is anyone currently in or has finished university after completing an open college course(s)? Plus can anyone just post a couple of the best open colleges that are reputable, have good reviews when it comes to tutors and a good selection of courses. Also it would be even more helpful if they had a wide selection of fast track A-Levels. All this would be greatly appreciated! Sorry if this seems like a lot to ask.

Thanks in advance
i mean a level

Oh,no sorry

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starting in about a Fortnight, going straight into full-hardcore revision:work::unimpressed:

I do economics.
I have my gcse's. No i haven't started revising. I 'll revise for all my exams around April
Reply 117
Did a past paper for C3 today, without doing any C3 work since January, and got higher in it than I did in the actual exam. WTF!? :argh:
I'm going to get my coursework out of the way and then revise as soon as I've finished those :smile:
I'm gonna start revising now because it's better to know it really well and go over it a few times, so when it comes to exam time you can recap it much quicker. I did pretty good in my January exams, so i've got 3 or 4 left to go. I really need to get off this game though (league of legends, might have heard of it) because it's seriously distracting me. Good luck with your revision guys :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest