The Student Room Group

Just smoked my FIRST cigarette!!! HELP!!!??!?

2 weeks ago i smoked for the first time, i had about 3 cigarettes i think. the following 2 days i really kept thinking "i want/need another cigarette" and i really craved it... but then that subdued after 2 days. however i still really want a cigarette whenever i smell someone smoking one and if i think about cigarettes there is a small pang. is this normal? how long until this stops? it was 2 weeks ago! i really liked smoking and will do it again in the future but i do not want to BE a smoker, i don't want to have to have even 1 a day... or 1 a week etc. just when i am being sociable if i fancy one and someone offers.... so just casually... because i did like it a lot so i want to do it again.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Buy two packs and smoke them all in one day, once you're done you won't want to smoke any more
Original post by amg_22
Buy two packs and smoke them all in one day, once you're done you won't want to smoke any more

Don't do this.

Just leave it and it should go in a few weeks.
Reply 3
Original post by amg_22

um..... no thanks....
Reply 4
Original post by helpforgym
2 weeks ago i smoked for the first time, i had about 3 cigarettes i think. the following 2 days i really kept thinking "i want/need another cigarette" and i really craved it... but then that subdued after 2 days. however i still really want a cigarette whenever i smell someone smoking one and if i think about cigarettes there is a small pang. is this normal? how long until this stops? it was 2 weeks ago! i really liked smoking and will do it again in the future but i do not want to BE a smoker, i don't want to have to have even 1 a day... or 1 a week etc. just when i am being sociable if i fancy one and someone offers.... so just casually... because i did like it a lot so i want to do it again.

See your local GP- NHS has many initiatives to help stop addictions to smoking
Addicted after three cigarettes? Don't be ridiculous. Your fear of being addicted is making you imagine you're addicted. Just stop thinking about them and you'll be fine.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
DONT SMOKE IT WILL KILL YOU

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just forget about it all. I only get cravings for cigarettes when I'm drunk. You just have to be strong and power through, it's such a silly thing to do so it's well worth the effort that it takes to just resist the urge. You're not going to be addicted, you're probably just scaring yourself. You'll be fine. :smile:
Reply 8
Just don't smoke when you don't want to. And when you want to smoke, smoke.
Reply 9
Original post by a729
See your local GP- NHS has many initiatives to help stop addictions to smoking

Original post by JohnnytheFox
Addicted after three cigarettes? Don't be ridiculous. Just stop thinking about them and you'll be fine.

i am clearly not addicted.... otherwise i would be smoking more.... i have not smoked since. i never said i was addicted. to me addicted means you feel like you HAVE to have it. i do not, i just WANT it. i can keep it under control really easy, it's not even something i have to think about, like it's REALLY far from making me miserable... i am just curious when this will stop... i was rather surprised that only 3 cigarettes could have this lasting effect on me because does that mean i still have nicotine in my body or what?
Keep going, you never know. Go and play cancer roulette.

Or, don't be silly. Just stop, you're not addicted. You're completely imagining cravings.
You're not addicted. You're not even having cravings. You know how long and how many cigarettes it takes to actually receive the non socially fed enjoyment of a cigarette, let alone addiction?

Three is not the answer.

Tell yourself that your lucky penny makes you feel good. All your friends also have lucky pennies, and you can all share your lucky pennies together. Flipping your lucky penny over is incredibly cool. Flip it over 3 times. Thinking about flipping your lucky penny over again?

There is no difference between the two situations. That's why some people are being a bit harsh on you, you're being silly :h:
Reply 12
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Keep going, you never know. Go and play cancer roulette.

Or, don't be silly. Just stop, you're not addicted. You're completely imagining cravings.

it's not cancer roulette though is it. it's not like there's a cigarette out there that is going to give me full blown cancer and it could be the next one i smoke or it could be my 1000ths, really. it takes like 30 years BEING a smoker to be at proper risk of smoking caused cancer. if i smoked just at parties when i felt like it then risk of cancer would be negligable.

no i am not, an i never said i was addicted.
Original post by amg_22

U think so? I smoke 2 packs a day..
Reply 14
If you carry on smoking consistently then you will get addicted, don't start smoking, it can't be nice enough to justify the risk of cancer ravaging you.
Reply 15
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
You're not addicted. You're not even having cravings. You know how long and how many cigarettes it takes to actually receive the non socially fed enjoyment of a cigarette, let alone addiction?

Three is not the answer.

Tell yourself that your lucky penny makes you feel good. All your friends also have lucky pennies, and you can all share your lucky pennies together. Flipping your lucky penny over is incredibly cool. Flip it over 3 times. Thinking about flipping your lucky penny over again?

There is no difference between the two situations. That's why some people are being a bit harsh on you, you're being silly :h:

never said i was addicted as i am not. i am not stupid. i am saying when i smell people smoking, i really want a cigarette. doesn't really suggest that i think that constitues as addiction. i am asking when this will stop if i were to go without smoking indefinitely. i am not being silly, people need to stop trying to seem "cool" and "experienced" on the internet and learn to actually read and comprehend without putting words in my mouth, so to speak.
as a smoker, i doubt you're craving cigarettes after having 3... it takes much more than that to get addicted/crave them.
Reply 17
it's not cancer roulette though is it. it's not like there's a cigarette out there that is going to give me full blown cancer and it could be the next one i smoke or it could be my 1000ths, really. it takes like 30 years BEING a smoker to be at proper risk of smoking caused cancer. if i smoked just at parties when i felt like it then risk of cancer would be negligable.

no i am not, an i never said i was addicted.

It is cancer roulette, smoking significantly increases your risk of cancer, and it doesn't take 30 years of being a smoker for it to pose a serious risk. You seem very ignorant of the facts.
Studied health effects on my course. Smoking ****s your insides up in more ways than you could possibly imagine.
Reply 19
i am clearly not addicted.... otherwise i would be smoking more.... i have not smoked since. i never said i was addicted. to me addicted means you feel like you HAVE to have it. i do not, i just WANT it. i can keep it under control really easy, it's not even something i have to think about, like it's REALLY far from making me miserable... i am just curious when this will stop... i was rather surprised that only 3 cigarettes could have this lasting effect on me because does that mean i still have nicotine in my body or what?

Ok, well you better put a stop to it before things get better after all you wouldn't want to slip into denial

Latest