The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Feasibility of getting a job while at Warwick?

Would it be difficult to travel to Coventry / Leamington Spa on the weekend / some weekdays? I would like a job in retail on the shop floor, but are there many opportunities for this in these relatively small towns?
Reply 1
You will find that universities have a lot of jobs going, weather that's canteen work, cleaning the dishes, helping organising events, working in bars/clubs etc. A lot of people don't take them up because they don't have time or want to spend that excess time socializing. However, there will be shops around campus and in the main town, and if they are all in full employment, you can make your own small campus shop! I'm sure the students will appreciate that. Yes it is feasible, Warwick is a very good university, I'm sure there's something you can do :biggrin:
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 2
Original post by JediArron
You will find that universities have a lot of jobs going, weather that's canteen work, cleaning the dishes, helping organising events, working in bars/clubs etc. A lot of people don't take them up because they don't have time or want to spend that excess time socializing. However, there will be shops around campus and in the main town, and if they are all in full employment, you can make your own small campus shop! I'm sure the students will appreciate that. Yes it is feasible, Warwick is a very good university, I'm sure there's something you can do :biggrin:

Do you go to Warwick? Thanks for the great ideas! About starting my own campus shop, would that be possible?
Reply 3
Original post by Devina-S
Do you go to Warwick? Thanks for the great ideas! About starting my own campus shop, would that be possible?

Hehe, I'm in year 12, but I have been researching into universities and lifestyles etc. It's a great little thing to add to your CV, and the university (I assume) will recognize you.

Yeah there's not much stuff on most campuses, like there's a cafe/canteen etc, but I am not sure myself if there's retail shops/resteraunts? If there's not then go ahead! :biggrin: (You would have to ask for planning permission or to rent an area of the campus though)
Reply 4
Original post by JediArron
Hehe, I'm in year 12, but I have been researching into universities and lifestyles etc. It's a great little thing to add to your CV, and the university (I assume) will recognize you.

Yeah there's not much stuff on most campuses, like there's a cafe/canteen etc, but I am not sure myself if there's retail shops/resteraunts? If there's not then go ahead! :biggrin: (You would have to ask for planning permission or to rent an area of the campus though)

Ah thanks!! Pretty innovative for a Year 12 x)
Reply 5
I study at Warwick! Apart from when there are larger organised events on, you don't generally see little stalls as you describe around campus. Whether this is because they don't allow them or because no-one has thought of doing this yet I'm not sure. Most probably it's the former.

It's perfectly possible to get to Coventry and Leamington from campus - buses vary from about every 15 minutes or so to every hour depending on the time of day and day of the week. Mostly these are to serve those students who live off campus in 2nd and 3rd year.
In terms of jobs available, I don't know much about off campus but from what I've heard, on campus jobs can be very competitive to apply to. Some are available through the SU and there is also Unitemps which handles temporary employment with the university.

Edit: just noticed you mentioned small towns. Warwick University isn't actually in Warwick - it's on the edge of Coventry.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Another warwick student here! I have several friends with jobs in Leamington Spa varying in from weekend jobs at a retail store to bar work a few evenings at a pub or at one of the clubs in the area. There are loads of students job hunting in Leam though, some moving in early after summer to secure a job, so you have to be on the ball and be quick! Generally roaming around asking for vacancies, handing out your cv, and applying online if applicable is your best bet, I believe. There are a variety of jobs available on campus otherwise, including once again bar work, work at one of the cafes or restaurants, work with Warwick tours, vacation work for Warwick Conferences, or work at the Warwick Art Centre (I personally work at the latter, and have friends doing all of the above). It is fairly competitive, though! Experience is valued in bar work and catering, and for my paid job at the art gallery in art centre I had to go for a little interview. It wasn't that bad, though, don't worry.

Below are a few places to look for jobs on campus, although it only covers a selection of the opportunities!

http://www.warwickartscentre.co.uk/students/get-involved/
http://www.warwicksu.com/jobs/browse/ (it updates as more jobs become available, so I'd keep an eye on it over summer)

Also Unitemps and Targetjobs of course! Although beware, targetjobs will send you a constant army of emails after you sign up with them. They also sprung a phone interview on me once. It woke me up. xD Needless to say, I didn't get the job...

@ttoby: xD My mother forgot that the first time we drove to Warwick... We ended up in the middle of warwick town centre. Fun times with all of the luggage. x3
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest