The Student Room Group

Maths and Further Maths A*

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I would too, but they're still good results. I think the A* is too hit and miss.

I think there should be a lower A2 average and a higher requirement for the whole qualification. Or just a whole total score, with no less than an A in an A2 module.

540/600 = A*

And you can't have any Bs in an A2 module.

For maths at least.

It'd be worth more then although giving the possibility of 80 in C3/4 might be controversial.

Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, burns think thy wanted to stop people who just didn't work in year 13
Original post by tooambitious
Yeah, I've been thinking about that too, burns think thy wanted to stop people who just didn't work in year 13

Yeah, that's an issue... But I still think it should change. Perhaps the 90 average remains, so just 540/600 with 90 minimum in C3 and C4 (not an average)
Yeah, that's an issue... But I still think it should change. Perhaps the 90 average remains, so just 540/600 with 90 minimum in C3 and C4 (not an average)

I like that less :tongue:. maybe 90 average including an applied module, like FM and other subjects
I like that less :tongue:. maybe 90 average including an applied module, like FM and other subjects

:ahee:

:nah: but then I'd miss out :wink: unless S1 I do it...

90 average in C3+4

And 540/600 overall.

That way the A2 pressure still there, alongside having to work. And then there's the average so you can get 80 something in one.

Or maybe even a whole new UMS structure! Different weightings for each unit, and then have a total score for AS.

C/FP/M/S/D 1 = 10%
C2 = 12%
C3/4, M2/3/4/5, S2/3/4, D2 = 19.5%
(edited 11 years ago)
:ahee:

:nah: but then I'd miss out :wink: unless S1 I do it...

90 average in C3+4

And 540/600 overall.

That way the A2 pressure still there, alongside having to work. And then there's the average so you can get 80 something in one.

Or maybe even a whole new UMS structure! Different weightings for each unit, and then have a total score for AS.

C/FP/M/S/D 1 = 10%
C2 = 12%
C3/4, M2/3/4/5, S2/3/4, D2 = 19.5%

Hmmm, yeah, 90 overall in the subject with 90 at A2

Loll, don't think they go for that somehow :wink:
Hmmm, yeah, 90 overall in the subject with 90 at A2

Loll, don't think they go for that somehow :wink:

Why? :fuhrer:

Watch, I'll get into power and reform things :h: for the best though.
Reply 46
Possible to learn these over summer:

FP1 D1,S2(FM ASLEVEL) and C3,C4 and S1(A2level maths)?

I have only recently decided I would like to attempt at least further maths ASlevel as I want to do engineering
^ yes.
Reply 48
^ yes.

Seriously? I will also be doing the rest of A2 Maths at school but I would like a head start..

How are you with C3 and C4? Have you got much to do?:tongue:
Original post by madfish
Seriously? I will also be doing the rest of A2 Maths at school but I would like a head start..

How are you with C3 and C4? Have you got much to do?:tongue:

Yeah, that's fine.

I've finished C3/4 a while ago, just haven't done much...

Need to do papers!
Reply 50
Yeah, that's fine.

I've finished C3/4 a while ago, just haven't done much...

Need to do papers!

I am bricking it for C2 and M1... So behind .. I can do the easier questions of most topics but then the harder ones I am clueless about

so worried!!!:frown:

And yea I started pastpapers 3 days ago, doing 1 a night. When you can't do a question do you resort straight to the mark scheme?
Original post by madfish
I am bricking it for C2 and M1... So behind .. I can do the easier questions of most topics but then the harder ones I am clueless about

so worried!!!:frown:

And yea I started pastpapers 3 days ago, doing 1 a night. When you can't do a question do you resort straight to the mark scheme?

M1 is difficult, well Moreso than the others :smile:

Aah, well, you shouldn't. Ask on here, and go back to the books with your past papers.

BUT I sometimes do :colondollar: don't though, I'd advise against it.
To be fair, A*s in maths and further maths aren't that hard to get. All you have to do is, rather plainly, apply certain concepts to simplistic questions. You can easily get there with some revision.

STEP and uni maths = the real challenge.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 53
M1 is difficult, well Moreso than the others :smile:

Aah, well, you shouldn't. Ask on here, and go back to the books with your past papers.

BUT I sometimes do :colondollar: don't though, I'd advise against it.

Yea it's harder than pure imo.

I find moments and vectors the hardest topic... oh and SUVAT.
Original post by Indeterminate
To be fair, A*s in maths and further maths aren't that hard to get

Yes...?:tongue:

Original post by madfish

Yeah, I find pure really easy I think :smile:

They are the hardest ones. Suvat is easiest though, just write the values you know. And what you need.
Reply 55
Original post by madfish

Mechanics is the easiest - so logical and tidy (and completely unrepresentative of reality). Stats, on the other hand, is just number crunching and so dull.
Original post by Indeterminate
To be fair, A*s in maths and further maths aren't that hard to get. All you have to do is, rather plainly, apply certain concepts to simplistic questions. You can easily get there with some revision.

What is this in response to...
Original post by Data
Mechanics is the easiest - so logical and tidy (and completely unrepresentative of reality). Stats, on the other hand, is just number crunching and so dull.

I think it's the hardest for the majority. For me, it all makes sense, so I don't know how I lost so many marks in it :colondollar: ah well...

Pure is best. Then mechanics.
Reply 58
What is this in response to...

I think he was just trying to belittle all you A-Level students discussing the logistics of getting an A* in Maths/Further :lol:
Original post by Noble.
I think he was just trying to belittle all you A-Level students discussing the logistics of getting an A* in Maths/Further :lol:

:unimpressed: humph

Quick Reply

Latest