The Student Room Group

Would this be cheating?

If someone accidentally managed to copy a file off the computer and onto their memory stick during an ICT controlled assessment BUT they did not edit the copied file or bring it back into the CA next lesson, would this still be cheating (as they took the file off the computer but did not edit the file at home and did not transfer the file back over during the CA next lesson)?
Reply 1
Probably, depending on the nature of the assessment. It means you can look over your work at length and plan what you're going to do next lesson.
Original post by bobbricks
If someone accidentally managed to copy a file off the computer and onto their memory stick during an ICT controlled assessment BUT they did not edit the copied file or bring it back into the CA next lesson, would this still be cheating (as they took the file off the computer but did not edit the file at home and did not transfer the file back over during the CA next lesson)?

That's a tricky one. As it was unintentional and they hadn't edited anything, I'd tentatively suggest that "someone" wouldn't be cheating. However, being able to view the file from home could be an advantage in terms of mentally planning ahead.

Personally, for the sake of fairness I think the file would have to be deleted off the memory stick.

Can I ask why the person had their own memory stick plugged into the computer during the controlled assessment?
Reply 3
Original post by spacemenrule94
That's a tricky one. As it was unintentional and they hadn't edited anything, I'd tentatively suggest that "someone" wouldn't be cheating. However, being able to view the file from home could be an advantage in terms of mentally planning ahead.

Personally, for the sake of fairness I think the file would have to be deleted off the memory stick.

Can I ask why the person had their own memory stick plugged into the computer during the controlled assessment?

Because they were allowed to bring in images, sounds, videos etc. from home
Technically it's not, but if you, I mean if they got caught by teachers they probably would be punished for cheating as the teachers don't know that you weren't going to edit it (possibly with the help of a ICT whizz).
Reply 5
Well if this is something you have done, just don't mention it and hope for the best. If it's something you're planning to do, don't. Most schools have software that allows the teacher to watch the screens of all pupils - they may well see you copying the file, or if not, another pupil might see you.
Reply 6
Original post by anony.mouse
Technically it's not, but if you, I mean if they got caught by teachers they probably would be punished for cheating as the teachers don't know that you weren't going to edit it (possibly with the help of a ICT whizz).

Would the teacher report it to the exam board or disqualify them from their GCSEs?
It's generally a safe assumption that if you have to ask whether something might be cheating, it's not worth taking the risk.
Original post by bobbricks
Would the teacher report it to the exam board or disqualify them from their GCSEs?

If they caught you copying the file from school computer to USB stick then they might. But if the next day, if it was in the final lesson of the controlled assessment, they some how saw it on your USB, but you could prove ie by showing when it was last edited that it hasn't been changed from the last controlled lesson then they might just give you a warning.
You're asking, so you already know.

Quick Reply

Latest