The Student Room Group

Deferred med offers- where likes them?

I am Yr 12 and already have gap year plans lined up which would mean me being out of the UK Oct- Mar 2014 i.e exactly when interviews would be happening so I'm planning on applying this October for deferred entry in Oct 2015 instead of during my gap year.

Though most of the websites theoretically are okay with deferred entry applications, in practice I wonder if they have the same success rate as direct applications. e.g. For Oxford this year they had 26 deferred applications of which exactly 0 were successful.

Does anyone have experience of getting a deferred offer ( by choice) and where was it from (and for which year of entry?)
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
I got deferred offers from Cambridge, Nottingham and Southampton, but this was a long long time ago (for 2003 entry). I would be surprised if they've become less receptive to gap years in that time, though it's definitely worth checking with each university individually (and with each college if you go for Oxbridge).
Reply 2
Original post by Soraia
I am Yr 12 and already have gap year plans lined up which would mean me being out of the UK Oct- Mar 2014 i.e exactly when interviews would be happening so I'm planning on applying this October for deferred entry in Oct 2015 instead of during my gap year.

Though most of the websites theoretically are okay with deferred entry applications, in practice I wonder if they have the same success rate as direct applications. e.g. For Oxford this year they had 26 deferred applications of which exactly 0 were successful.

Does anyone have experience of getting a deferred offer ( by choice) and where was it from (and for which year of entry?)

I have deferred entry offers 2014 from Cardiff and Birmingham.
Most medical school treat deferred applicants equally as normal applicants, except Oxford and Bristol
Reply 3
Thanks guys. Anyone else?
I can see a couple of deferreds on the stalking pages, but not sure if these were by choice as I've heard some med schools do this if they like you but have run out of places e.g. UCL.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Soraia
I can see a couple of deferreds on the stalking pages, but not sure if these were by choice as I've heard some med schools do this if they like you but have run out of places e.g. UCL.

I got a deferred offer from Liverpool last year (interview then rejection from UEA too, but the interview shows they have no problem with deferrers). I remember checking the websites last year and the unis said that they have no problem with gap years as long as theyre being used productively. Sounds legit to me, out of everyone I know who applied without deferring, 2 interviews was about the average
Reply 5
Original post by Soraia

I applied for 2013 entry then decided I wanted a gap year so I contacted all the universities and changed to deferred in January and they let me (Manchester told me to ask again in May though). They'd only ask people to volunteer to defer when they know how many people have got the grades and have firmed on results day, they wouldn't do it before then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending