The Student Room Group

Still unemployed after nearly a year graduating!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by flavius11
As much as I enjoy left-wing propaganda, I think putting the marxist theory away and focusing on what he can practically do to achieve the best he can would be more positive. Yes the economy is bad, but there are still so many opportunities out there for people. If we all adopt the siege mentality and assume 'oh I have a degree so I'm entitled to more' then we'll get nowhere whilst those around us who have a positive attitude will succeed and leave us behind. The whole sense of entitlement that many of our generation have is really quite disgusting, and reflective of a really negative shift in attitude from hard graft and aspiration to laziness and arrogance that seems to have become a British disease in the last decade or two.

How do you say there are opportunities out there for people? When clearly large organisations are going into administration? If the big players are out of the game this creates no jobs it actually decreases jobs - the folks worked in these large companies would also now be competing with you in jobs...

From your responses seem you to be one of those living off benefits you make things sound so easy yet your comments have no common sense in them.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 21
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
You said "we have no experience"

Posted from TSR Mobile

That is from general viewpoint - for most graduates on most courses.

I do have experience within my field, but it isn't vast amounts - not the amount a full time working person would have if that makes sense.
Reply 22
And to those saying my course is "mickey mouse" maybe you dont keep up on the changes and legislation and targets of the developed countries...

Carbon emissions/pollution, energy, housing, waste - the list is endless its all environmental health...
Original post by Uni=RipOff
How do you say there are opportunities out there for people? When clearly large organisations are going into administration? If the big players are out of the game this creates no jobs it actually decreases jobs - the folks worked in these large companies would also now be competing with you in jobs...

From your responses seem you to be one of those living off benefits you make things sound so easy yet your comments have no common sense in them.

I don't want to seem rude but I don't think attacking this individual is very productive.

There are opportunities out there for graduates and non-graduates. Of course there are. If there weren't, NOBODY would get one.

The problem is recognising when you have the capacity to get a certain kind if job and when you don't.

Sadly, for whatever reason (but probably through no fault of your own) you do not currently have the capacity to get the type of job you want. So shoot a bit lower and, in time, you may be able to get to where you want to be.

So move forward and get on with it or waste more time coming to the conclusion that some of us are trying to guide you towards.

It's a rubbish situation and I have every sympathy. I would probably rant in your position as well. But there is no point chopping down people who are trying to knock some direction into you.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 24
Well mate, what you give is what you get. If a person thinks they can attack me then they should expect retaliation. In the OP I didnt insult any particular individual or did I?

More on topic, it can clearly be seen that HE is another messed up system. Up until 2006 the fees were around £1000, 2007 til 2012/13 or whatever it was they went upto £3-3.5k. Now they are £9k.

Sooner, rather than later, students of UK will go abroad to study especially within the EU as many unis over there apparently charge around a £1000.

Its just like the industrial revolution where there was endless jobs, despite being labour work mainly it was stil work. It helped the UK economy massively. Now all that was shipped out to India and China mainly, their economies over there are booming and our PM goes over there to "strike" a deal...

Am not blaming any particular individual but the decision makers have run down the economy.

I respect you say aim for lower jobs. However, am not aiming for £30-40k jobs am aiming for the lower end grad market yet even stil there is a LACK of availability in these jobs. Most vacancies say 2 or 3+ years experience - obviously I dont apply for these jobs - the stepping stone is quite simply missing!
And to those saying my course is "mickey mouse" maybe you dont keep up on the changes and legislation and targets of the developed countries...

Carbon emissions/pollution, energy, housing, waste - the list is endless its all environmental health...

The point is.. your degree has failed you. It's supposed to prepare you for a job - clearly employers don't deem that preparation as adequate experience. The longer you stay out of work, the worse your future applications will look. This means you need to do something drastic. You are at the point where you must act and turn it all around. You have to face the facts. Currently, employers do not regard your current application highly no matter how fantastic it is and you shouldn't wait for them to finally realize the error of their ways. This might go against your own plans you have made thus far but I'd recommend getting any job you can get. It's imperative you don't delay any longer.
I know competition for even the most basic jobs is incredibly high but you have to try nonetheless.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 26
I'm in the same position OP, haven't had luck even in retail/customer service and other non-related jobs as well. Most of my friends are headed back for a masters, whilst few are in supermarkets or unemployed. When you hit 9months you'll be in the work programme, and they'll make you do work experience regardless, (most likely as an admin assistant), I will be referred in April. Just know that you are not alone, there's many of us. Youth unemployment is stubbornly high set to increase in 2013, and the economy is stagflating, that's the simple truth.
Reply 27
Original post by flavius11
The point I was making was that the guy started there on minimum wage and is now on over £60,000 a year. Sure he works in the same place, but look how his life has been changed through working his way up.

Ugh, 20 years to make 60k? :s-smilie:
Reply 28
Sticking up for oneself is arrogance - how old are you 13?!

Think many posters in this thread have not yet graduated, or not even gone to uni - they seem to be blowing bubbles.

@ TheRebel - finally someone in the same boat. What do you mean about after 9months? Which organisation is this?

Also it doesnt matter which uni you go to, lets say you went to Oxford, if you didnt pull your finger out of your backside you would fail, or come out with a 3rd - it's about what you can do not what uni you go to... Common sense like I said.
(edited 10 years ago)
Sticking up for oneself is arrogance - how old are you 13?!

Think many posters in this thread have not yet graduated, or not even gone to uni - they seem to be blowing bubbles.

@ TheRebel - finally someone in the same boat. What do you mean about after 9months? Which organisation is this?

Also it doesnt matter which uni you go to, lets say you went to Oxford, if you didnt pull your finger out of your backside you would fail, or come out with a 3rd - it's about what you can do not what uni you go to... Common sense like I said.

Think everyone here has gone to uni. I've graduated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 30
Original post by daindian
I disagree with your point abou universities good universities also do easier degrees eg. Leisure and management at Manchester uni

How is that disagreeing with his point? Can you read? :eek:

This is like me saying you drive a red car and own a blue hat, to which you reply that you disagree as people with yellow hats also drive red cars. So?!
Original post by M1011
How is that disagreeing with his point? Can you read? :eek:

This is like me saying you drive a red car and own a blue hat, to which you reply that you disagree as people with yellow hats also drive red cars. So?!

I had this thought at first.. Bit I think it was in reply to the assumption that OP must have gone to a crap uni to do this particular course (which was also labelled 'crap').

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 32
Original post by LexiswasmyNexis
I had this thought at first.. Bit I think it was in reply to the assumption that OP must have gone to a crap uni to do this particular course (which was also labelled 'crap').

Posted from TSR Mobile

Perhaps. The way I read it was that it was crap upon crap which led to a bigger pile of crap :tongue:
Reply 33
Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

Get a job as cleaner.
Reply 34
Hello all, time for a rant :angry: !! lol

Is there anyone else who finished uni in 2012 and is still looking for work? Or am I the only one??

I graduated in Environmental Health, and am aware only about 8 unis do that couse in the UK! So you would think the prospect of getting a job is high!

I have sort of given up in that field and looking at any job now (not minimum wage, call me arrogant but I aint working for min wage after spending 4 years at uni - then being stuck there for the rest of my life!)

Am not restricting myself, am happy to move anywhere in the world as long as the pay can support me.

I offically finished in May 2012, so yeah its nearly a year and am 25 soon too! :frown:

As my name says - uni is a rip off - they have even increased the fees to £9k (total joke) yet you cant get job. Why? Because we dont have experience.

Anyone in this boat feels ripped off?

People I went school with are far better off by not going college or uni!

Darn thing now is I cant even do an apprentaship!

Rant over (or commerical :P)

Firstly, your refusing to work for minimum wage. Why? Just becuase you have a degree doesn't mean it's a pass to the better off jobs. Well maybe it is in reality but it really depends upon your degree, results and the university you've graduated from. I have a friend who graduated in Law last August and STILL doesn't have a puppilage contract. It's not hard to see the reason is that she only gained a 2:2 from University of Leicester. Now at the moment she is a waitress!

Secondly, University isn't a rip off. It's a "No Win No Fee" situation. Yes you have a lot of debt on you. Yes you owe a lot of money. But hey, if you don't earn over 21K a year you don't have to pay a penny! And even if you have to pay back, it will only be a negliable amount per calender month. Most people don't even finish payiny ALL their debt during their life because of the interest rates.

Finally, regarding your issue of experience. Why don't you look for volunteering jobs to gain relevant experience THEN apply for a job once you can prove that your skills that were developed in the previous work is fully transferable and proves you're an worthy candiate?
Reply 35
What plans do you have for the summer, mate?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 36
Unfortunately I can't help you in this sector. My interests are education and tourism business. And also art metallurgy.
This is 2013, not 1950. Most people have a degree now, get over yourself. It's not exactly unusual for people with a degree to have to do low-pay work as their first job after graduation. Just look at the percentages of how many people don't have a job 6 months after graduation, some are as high as 70%. Surely working at the checkout in Tesco is better than fretting over not getting any proper income (apart from JSA, which you probably aren't entitled to as you aren't actively looking for any sort of work)?
With all due respect to the OP, I agree with what most posters have said - you need to perhaps set your (initial) sights lower. This doesn't mean necessarily accepting a life of drudgery, but rather just working harder to get through the ranks.

I'll give myself as a good example -

Graduated in 2010 with a 2:2 in Law from a redbrick uni (no excuse for the degree classification, sadly just didn't work hard enough.) Went travelling for 3 months, then came back expecting to roll into a high-paying grad job - didn't happen, of course.

But, rather than getting despondent, I networked to the max. and - after 2 months of job-hunting - managed to secure a job at a big financial services firm in London. The job itself was far from amazing - £18k pa, and I was basically the dealers/traders b*tch, answering their phones and getting shouted at. But at the time I was ecstatic to get a job, especially one related to the field I was interested in (finance)

I applied 110% effort every single day, continued networking, and helped my colleagues/the company out beyond my job role as much as I could.

Now, 2 years later, I'm 24 years old, still with the same company, except I'm now an Analyst earning £32k pa (basic) working in the City.

All the people I work with are graduates, pHDs etc - ok, top grads probably get into these kind of roles straight away, whereas it's taken me an extra 2 years' of grind. But I'm there now - and it all started with that initial non-ideal job

So, my advice would be - find the field you're interested in, get the best entry-level (with prospects) job you can find, slog your guts out for a long a it takes, impress as many people as you can, and go from there. Of course you need luck etc. along the way, but that's the same for anything in life!

Good luck :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
We've had a hiring freeze since the beginning of the year unfortunately, however feel free to pm me with your cv/background, and I'll try to give you some tips (I'm no expert by any means, but happy to help out where I can :redface:)

I'd recommend sending your cv out to recruiter Michael Page, and also reed.co.uk if you haven't already :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending