The Student Room Group

Made my first baguette, and I realized subways is just TOO expensive now!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Friar Chris
You mean, you honestly never realised before that Subway is more expensive than making your own sandwich?

Subway is expensive even in the realms of retail sandwiches, let alone compared to making your own food :wtf:

haha yes, I found an independent baguette shop in town that does nice baguette sandwiches starting from 99p. Okay you don't get that Subway choice/variety but I would still buy from there often if I was to buy a sandwich from town where there are 4 subways!

However, I don't buy from there because as you say, even cheap baguettes are never going to be as cheap as the home-made variety.
Original post by tehforum
That is true if you compare it to other fast food places, but I despise paying that much for a sandwich, even if it does fill you up!

Whereas, I can get a decent baguette filled with chicken tikka, prawn mayo, tuna mayo etc etc for £1 - and £1.50 for a toasted sandwich from an independent shop

Hm, fair. I think subway prices are (at least fairly) constant across the country, so that it's less of a bad deal where I am. I very much doubt that I could find an independent shop anywhere near that cheap anywhere in Cambridge. I certainly haven't seen any.
To be honest with you. Baguette costs like 99p for two. Subway has like 10 toppings available plus its fresh. I eat late in the day when im at university so any sandwich would go soggy especially a tomato one or mayonnaise. So subway is perfect for me, its made the way you want it. No dogey stuff. Its £3 plus a drink. Tesco charges £2 for a normal sliced sandwich which is **** and like £1.20 for an oasis and nowhere to sit and eat?!?

Subway has a great proposition, especially compared to other unhealthy food chains poisoning people a 6inch tuna sub only has 300 calories.
Reply 63
Original post by kka25
I just made my first baguette with turkey, tomato, lettuces, cheese and apple slices :sexface:

And I realized now that Subways is just TOO expensive! :eek:

loooool 39p for 2 baguettes in Lidl then buy some meat and/or vegetable sand it's done!
Reply 64
Can anyone tell me how good subway generally is with keeping the fillings separate (before they're in the sandwich)? I know it'll probably vary from store to store but after a bad experience at Baguette Express where they somehow managed to cross-contaminate either the chicken or the cheese with shellfish I'm a bit wary of the build-a-sandwich type shops :frown:
Reply 65
Original post by Harley
Can anyone tell me how good subway generally is with keeping the fillings separate (before they're in the sandwich)? I know it'll probably vary from store to store but after a bad experience at Baguette Express where they somehow managed to cross-contaminate either the chicken or the cheese with shellfish I'm a bit wary of the build-a-sandwich type shops :frown:

The ingredients are right in front of you, so you can see it being made. So if you have any problems you can voice them to the sandwich maker.
Original post by Harley

What? How do they get away with that?

I've never had that, but I'm pretty sure Subways are at least mostly franchises. You'll probably find the odd appallingly run one, as you will with anything that works on that system.
The ingredients are right in front of you, so you can see it being made. So if you have any problems you can voice them to the sandwich maker.

Yeah, but realistically, we're British. Most of us would just not say anything and mope.
That's primarily the reason why I've never bought anything from Subway before. But I know deep down I have to buy something from there one day just to see how it tastes. Cause to be honest, their sandwiches and baguettes do look pretty ****ing tasty.

Original post by penguinsrcool
bet thats not the only time you've been stuffed with a 6 inch

Suggesting she has a massively wide cave? :colone:
Reply 69
Original post by TimmonaPortella
What? How do they get away with that?

I've never had that, but I'm pretty sure Subways are at least mostly franchises. You'll probably find the odd appallingly run one, as you will with anything that works on that system.

I have no idea, I bought the sandwich to eat on a bus journey going home from uni (which made the allergic reaction I suffered more annoying because I was stuck on the bus for 3 hours) and then I couldn't go back and complain because I was hundreds of miles away :frown:

In retrospect I should have emailed a complaint or something but I couldn't prove it or anything so I just let it go.
Reply 70
This seems to have steadily become the "what is your sandwich?"thread, so here goes.

Whether I'm at subway or making my own, it's bacon, then two of the following: lettuce, tomato, cheese, then it's either mayo or barbeque sauce.
Original post by Bill_Gates
To be honest with you. Baguette costs like 99p for two. Subway has like 10 toppings available plus its fresh. I eat late in the day when im at university so any sandwich would go soggy especially a tomato one or mayonnaise. So subway is perfect for me, its made the way you want it. No dogey stuff. Its £3 plus a drink. Tesco charges £2 for a normal sliced sandwich which is **** and like £1.20 for an oasis and nowhere to sit and eat?!?

Subway has a great proposition, especially compared to other unhealthy food chains poisoning people a 6inch tuna sub only has 300 calories.

Boot meal deal (sandwich, drink and crisps / chocolate bar) is £3.29.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 72
Original post by OU Student
Boot meal deal (sandwich, drink and crisps / chocolate car) is £3.29.

Yeah, the Boots meal deal with pretty badass.

Their selection is extremely good.
Subway is very expensive - I don't know why people buy it, you can make sandwiches and toast them for a lot cheaper
Reply 74
Yeah, the Boots meal deal with pretty badass.

Their selection is extremely good.

I quite like the co-op meal deal, not as good a selection of crisps for the snack part, but their bacon and egg sandwiches are great :smile:
Original post by OU Student
Boot meal deal (sandwich, drink and crisps / chocolate car) is £3.29.

My point exactly!
Reply 76
I've said it many times that subway offers little unique selling point (reminds me of nandos)
At least Subway isn't supermarket sandwiches.

HELLO SIR, WOULD YOU LIKE SOME BREAD WITH YOUR MAYONNAISE?
As for my sandwich, it has to be breadcrumb chicken slices (cooked), lettuce, onions and a tiny bit of garlic mayonnaise :sogood:
Reply 79
Original post by kka25

Anyway, I'm trying to find one of those subways sauces; wondering where I can buy them; honey mustard is just gorgeous! :biggrin:

Ain't no need for all that shit, besides, I've never been to Subway's so I wouldn't know how their mustard or whatever tastes like :erm:

What you need my friend, is a kick arse vinaigrette to go with your sammich :yep:... I find it funny how of all tsr users, you quoted me for this conundrum :laugh:

Anyhow, this is how I make mine (how my mother makes it and I copied her, unsurprisingly though, I can never make one as good as hers :grumble: )

You need yourself some maiden olive oil :sexface: (1 tsp), 1 tsp of red wine vinegar, 1/2 tsp of mustard (and same measurement of mayo if you're into that kind of shit), a pinch of salt and stir the shit out of that bitch adding the oil last... :cool: The measurements are a bit off because I never actually follow them and also you'll need to make a smaller portion for a sammich :colondollar: but these are the main ingredients for a nice vinaigrette :cool:

Quick Reply