The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Audley's probably nowhere near the top ten for the rankings of the belts Wlad has got but tbh, I'm sure they can defences of their own choosing can't they? But Audley would be a better proposition and garner more interest than this nobody he's fighting.

But I hope Fury has a go at one of the brothers this year.
Original post by Dierknights
Price should have fought Fury. At least then it wouldn't have looked so lame when he got knocked out.

I don't think price or his team wanted that fight, but atleast if he got ko'ed by fury it wouldnt have been as bad. I think its going to take price atleast a year or two to get back onto the world stage, if he can.

I love the way all the price bandwagon jumpers have all of a sudden started putting him down as soon as he got ko'ed. Those same people are now biggin up fury who was hated by the majority of the public not so long ago.
I'm afraid I can't seem to conjure up much enthusiasm for Price or Fury. Neither seem to have much of a defence.

Guess I'd have to say I slightly prefer Fury as he has a more exciting style IMHO.

I am a Klitschko fan though, I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the Klitschkos have to offer. And I was routing for Audley during that knockout comp, so him vs Wlad I'd like to see, although I can imagine Audley getting KO'd with a right straight on the way in.
Original post by frankieboy
I'm afraid I can't seem to conjure up much enthusiasm for Price or Fury. Neither seem to have much of a defence.

Guess I'd have to say I slightly prefer Fury as he has a more exciting style IMHO.

I am a Klitschko fan though, I don't think a lot of people appreciate what the Klitschkos have to offer. And I was routing for Audley during that knockout comp, so him vs Wlad I'd like to see, although I can imagine Audley getting KO'd with a right straight on the way in.

Fury is improving in every fight. He's only 24 so i see lots of potential in him. Audley vs Wlad is no competition, Audley says he's a "new fighter" now and that hes found a new passion for boxing but it's all just leading up to him getting badly ko'ed again. The guy needs to go out on his shield before its too late
Fights tonight: hopkins vs cloud and keith thurman vs jan zaveck. What are all your predictions?

my predictions: cloud by SD or MD and thurman by 8th round KO
Not sure if I'll stay up for tonight's fight. Will it be exciting or just another Hopkins display?
Original post by Dierknights
Not sure if I'll stay up for tonight's fight. Will it be exciting or just another Hopkins display?

I'll be staying up as i always do. I only had 5 hours sleep last night so I had a little nap just now so i'll be able to stay up lol. I think the fight has the potential to be a cracker, hopkins could show his age in this fight and we all know cloud (who although got dominated by campillo, showed heart and toughness) is going to keep the pressure on, not to mention he's a bit of a cash cow.

I also want to see keith thurmans performance against zaveck. Zaveck is very tough and imo was starting to beat andre berto before he got stopped on cuts.
Eddie Hearn's called a press conference on Monday where he's expected to announce Ricky Burns as his new signing.

Man, Frank will be steaming!

Cleverley's the last name he's got and I wouldn't be surprised if he's jumped ship (possibly to Golden Boy) by the end of the year.
Original post by Aky786UK
Eddie Hearn's called a press conference on Monday where he's expected to announce Ricky Burns as his new signing.

Man, Frank will be steaming!

Cleverley's the last name he's got and I wouldn't be surprised if he's jumped ship (possibly to Golden Boy) by the end of the year.

Do you think this is the end of Frank Warren? he's been in the game for a while now and maybe its a sign that he's on the way down.
Bernard Hopkins wins UD. I don't know if this was a case of over-estimating cloud or under-estimating hopkins. In this case it might have been a bit of both. Either way, cloud got exposed again and hopkins overrules his personal record and again at 48 becomes the oldest man in boxing history to win a legitimate boxing title. I hear people saying hopkins is in the best shape ever and physically looks better than his previous fights, dare i say he does it again at 50?

Also, right after the fight he aggressively called out andre ward. Thoughts on that fight? Initial thoughts say andre ward would do it
Original post by oh-my-diddy
Do you think this is the end of Frank Warren? he's been in the game for a while now and maybe its a sign that he's on the way down.

It seems that way unless Cleverly stays with him and puts on good performances against possibly the new IBF champion Hopkins.

Warren's not with Sky Sports so he's not got the major publicity that a deal with them brings, i.e never-ending coverage on Sky Sports News.

He's got his own channel but that's not got off the ground fully.
Muhammed Ali was a good boxer.
Original post by Aky786UK
It seems that way unless Cleverly stays with him and puts on good performances against possibly the new IBF champion Hopkins.

Warren's not with Sky Sports so he's not got the major publicity that a deal with them brings, i.e never-ending coverage on Sky Sports News.

He's got his own channel but that's not got off the ground fully.

I got a feeling Cleverly might sign up with eddie hearn soon too, i'm hearing rumours anyway. Boxnation are apparently not doing too well either.
Did anyone know Tyson Fury can sing? lol the more i see this guy the more i'm starting to warm to him

Thoughts on the Brandon rios vs Mike Alvarado fight? deserved win for alvarado i say. I actually predicted alvarado by KO and he almost did it lol. Talks are taking place for a trilogy. Alvarado shouldn't take it yet, too much risk. I say he fighs other 140's and i say he beats alot of them.
Reply 4615
Thoughts on the Brandon rios vs Mike Alvarado fight? deserved win for alvarado i say. I actually predicted alvarado by KO and he almost did it lol. Talks are taking place for a trilogy. Alvarado shouldn't take it yet, too much risk. I say he fighs other 140's and i say he beats alot of them.

As good as their fight was, I personally don't want it to happen again.
I thought Alvarado wouldn't be able to get away from Rios but he surprised me! He should fight other guys like Garcia, Khan and Peterson but he is Top Rank but they don't fight Golden Boy fighters. :frown:

I'm looking forward to the 140 lbs mini tournament though! I hope it ends with Khan fighting Peterson as I think it would be a good scrap. Garcia-Khan might be good as Khan could redeem himself, if Judah beats Garcia then beats the winner of Matthysse-Peterson then that'd be a tragedy as Khan-Judah would happen again and I think Khan would win - no doubt.
But I don't think that will happen. ^^

I think the only person Khan won't really have a chance against is Matthysse as I doubt he can stay away from his fierce punches for 12 rounds but if Peterson beats him it's all good. :biggrin:

I'd like to see Broner in the mix by the end of the year as he is classy enough to challenge a lot of guys in the 10 stone division!
Original post by MizRman
As good as their fight was, I personally don't want it to happen again.
I thought Alvarado wouldn't be able to get away from Rios but he surprised me! He should fight other guys like Garcia, Khan and Peterson but he is Top Rank but they don't fight Golden Boy fighters. :frown:

I'm looking forward to the 140 lbs mini tournament though! I hope it ends with Khan fighting Peterson as I think it would be a good scrap. Garcia-Khan might be good as Khan could redeem himself, if Judah beats Garcia then beats the winner of Matthysse-Peterson then that'd be a tragedy as Khan-Judah would happen again and I think Khan would win - no doubt.
But I don't think that will happen. ^^

I think the only person Khan won't really have a chance against is Matthysse as I doubt he can stay away from his fierce punches for 12 rounds but if Peterson beats him it's all good. :biggrin:

I'd like to see Broner in the mix by the end of the year as he is classy enough to challenge a lot of guys in the 10 stone division!

Yeah I say alvarado beats most of the top fighters in the 140 division. It's not impossible for top rank and golden boy to make a fight (a fight recently took place involving these two but can't remember which).

Alot of people are dissappointed at why khan has been put as the mandatory for whoever wins the tournament, but politics aside, it will be an interesting tournament. I say peterson beats the incredibly limited garcia, garcia beats judah. Mathysse peterson is close but i say peterson wins that one too. we could see a well demanded peterson khan rematch after all. I think khan can beat mathysse if he boxes smart. but thats the million dollar question. he couldve beaten garcia and peterson if he boxed smart but he didn't.

I'm actually thinking of doing my own prediction vids soon. I almost got the alvarado prediction right and i'd like to voice my opinions on khan and his future potential.
Reply 4617
Yeah I say alvarado beats most of the top fighters in the 140 division. It's not impossible for top rank and golden boy to make a fight (a fight recently took place involving these two but can't remember which).

Alot of people are dissappointed at why khan has been put as the mandatory for whoever wins the tournament, but politics aside, it will be an interesting tournament. I say peterson beats the incredibly limited garcia, garcia beats judah. Mathysse peterson is close but i say peterson wins that one too. we could see a well demanded peterson khan rematch after all. I think khan can beat mathysse if he boxes smart. but thats the million dollar question. he couldve beaten garcia and peterson if he boxed smart but he didn't.

I'm actually thinking of doing my own prediction vids soon. I almost got the alvarado prediction right and i'd like to voice my opinions on khan and his future potential.

Sounds good! Yeah, Khan "can" beat everyone, but everyone can beat him too. He has great boxing ability and speed but his main flaws are his defense and ring smarts ... which should improve with Virgil Hunter in the corner - we'll wait and see. Garcia is limited, but Judah and Peterson (or even Matthysse) will have to avoid the swift left hook. Matthysse punches like a middleweight so anyone that faces him will have to either box beautifully, break him down (which is what HE does) or knock him out.
Peterson is a very crafty fighter who can break down his opponents which I think he could do with Garcia and Matthysse but with a classier Khan - I'm not so sure. This 140 lbs situation is really interesting and very exciting! Hopefully all goes to plan on April 27th for Khan and Garcia to make this all work out!
Reply 4618
^ I agree. Khan can beat anyone but he also susceptible to being beat by anyone. I still enjoy watching him. He will win convincingly against Diaz as well.
Garcia is very limited but he will still be too strong for a once upon a time talented Judah.

This time of year is where is all happens. Looking forward to the next couple of months.
Reply 4619
Original post by Né Stig
I'm tirelessly making posts in regards to boxing on one fight wonders.

well if you're looking for a One-fight wonder you should see Buster Douglas, He was the first person to not only win against, but also Knock out the Iron Mike Tyson. The fight was in 1990, so Tyson was arguably in his prime but after that, no one ever heard of Douglas again, he became morbidly obese at one point and later bankrupt.

the betting odds of Douglas winning the fight were 49:1 against

skip the video to around 7 minutes in for the knock out.
[video="youtube;rt8LZ8FjGN8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt8LZ8FjGN8[/video]

Latest