The Student Room Group

What is the best way to revise for A level Biology?

Hi~ What is the best way to revise Biology? I can't seem to find a way that is effective. I recently got a U in AQA Biology Unit 1 and I'm really worried about my future as I need an A or a B in this subject for university.
Thank you!! :smile:

edit: why did i get negged :confused:
(edited 10 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Past papers and questions, seriously. It's not good enough memorising the material, you need to learn how to apply it using the correct exam technique :moon:
I just make notes, and keep making notes, if you start early then your not under pressure so you can actually take it in more effectively because you're relaxed.

Well that's what I did, sat the same exam in Jan and got 98/100 ums

(I also did every past paper so many times that I could remember the mark schemes for each one)

Edit: Wow negged? really?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Niki_
Hi~ What is the best way to revise Biology? I can't seem to find a way that is effective. I recently got a U in AQA Biology Unit 1 and I'm really worried about my future as I need an A or a B in this subject for university.

I'm in exactly the same position as you. I did aqa biology and got an e in the January exams, and need an a overall. Yet I couldn't seem to work out how I'd got one because I know I made sure I knew everything from the book. I've asked for my paper back, as it must be specific stuff they're looking for, and when I do I'll see if I can spot anything about their marking :-)

Not really sure why this is a reason to be negged...

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by kimprovising
Past papers and questions, seriously. It's not good enough memorising the material, you need to learn how to apply it using the correct exam technique :moon:

How much of the material do I need to memorize? I never know what is enough and what isn't enough. The specification is really vague. ><
Reply 5
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
I just make notes, and keep making notes, if you start early then your not under pressure so you can actually take it in more effectively because you're relaxed.

Well that's what I did, sat the same exam in Jan and got 98/100 ums

(I also did every past paper so many times that I could remember the mark schemes for each one)

Wow, congrats!! :eek: How detailed are your notes? I don't know how much detail I should put into my notes... I'm scared that if I make them too simple - i'll miss out key words needed for the marks (if you know what I mean). Also, is memorizing mark schemes a good technique? And should I keep doing past papers til I memorize them like you? :confused:
Reply 6
Original post by KatiexZoe
I'm in exactly the same position as you. I did aqa biology and got an e in the January exams, and need an a overall. Yet I couldn't seem to work out how I'd got one because I know I made sure I knew everything from the book. I've asked for my paper back, as it must be specific stuff they're looking for, and when I do I'll see if I can spot anything about their marking :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm on the same boat :frown:. Atleast you passed the exam!! Let me know how it goes :smile:!!
Original post by Niki_
Wow, congrats!! :eek: How detailed are your notes? I don't know how much detail I should put into my notes... I'm scared that if I make them too simple - i'll miss out key words needed for the marks (if you know what I mean). Also, is memorizing mark schemes a good technique? And should I keep doing past papers til I memorize them like you? :confused:

I can't say, all you know is that whatever you did for jan, doesn't work for you, so try a different style, My note gets pretty detailed. Simplicity is your enemy.
Also just try and put in as much terminology as possible, even if it doesn't make sense to you answering the question.

If there is a question say about enzymes you want to put.

tertiary/quarternary structure
specific shape
enzyme substrate complex
complementary

regardless of the connective words you should get the marks.
Biology is terminology and exam technique, well so far that's my experience.
(edited 11 years ago)
Start now. Find the spec and make notes for each specification point using textbook/online notes/ anything you can find (try googling "Aqa Biology A Level notes"), in your own words. They should be detailed enough to include terminology, but condensed (don't write paragraphs, but bullet points). Then keep reading them, make flash cards, try to "teach" someone in your family by explaining stuff out loud, and do this topic by topic. And as people have said do every past paper and whatever you get wrong, note down why you got it wrong (e.g maybe you didn't use figures from the graph when asked to describe it) that'll help your exam technique :smile: and ask your teachers anything you're not sure about!
Good luck xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by KatiexZoe

Not really sure why this is a reason to be negged...

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hide yo posts, hide yo replies, cos they be negging everybody out here.

Seriously though I'm just trying to help and say what worked for me and I've been negged twice.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by PKMN TRN JAM
Hide yo posts, hide yo replies, cos they be negging everybody out here.

Seriously though I'm just trying to help and say what worked for me and I've been negged twice.

Ikr I was like "why would that post get a neg"?
Whoever is negging on this thread...
YOU DONT HAVE TO COME AND CONFESS, WE'RE LOOKIN FOR YOU....WE GONNA FIND YOU!!!!
Original post by Gulzar
Ikr I was like "why would that post get a neg"?
Whoever is negging on this thread...
YOU DONT HAVE TO COME AND CONFESS, WE'RE LOOKIN FOR YOU....WE GONNA FIND YOU!!!!

I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you are looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money. But what I do have are a very particular set of skills; skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let me post as normal, that'll be the end of it. I will not look for you, I will not pursue you. But if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you, and I will neg you

This was posted from The Student Room's Android App on my GT-S5830i
Reply 12
does anyone have the end of chapter test for the OCR AS Biology - its like some COAS teacher biology thingy.. ???
apparently they really help with showing your understanding and revision..
Practice lots of essay type questions, especially for the AQA syllabus. Those 3-6 marks in certain questions can only be achieved through constant practice and familiarity with the key terms. You must learn to cut to the chase, and try not to waffle.
Hey there guys, just wondering that the advice given above can be applied to gcse biology?
Reply 15
how much harder are the unit 2 exams comared to unit 1?
Original post by Midnight1811
Hey there guys, just wondering that the advice given above can be applied to gcse biology?

Make sure that you cover everything in the speicification. You need to constantly practice the written questions, and ensure that you fully understand all of the key terms.
Reply 17
Just memorise the textbook for gcse biolgy!
Reply 18
do all the past papers too. go through them in detail.
Reply 19
Original post by Niki_

I did AQA biology and managed to get an A overall in AS, and then got a B for the overall A level.

The only thing I can say you MUST MUST MUST do is go over and over all of the past papers.

Alot of people don't do very well in their first lot of A level exams, as they don't realise how hard the jump from GCSE to A level is, or even how to answer A level questions!

If you go through all of the past papers then you will get an idea of what they are looking for in your answers.

Half the time you only need to mention a word to get a mark (e.g. In a protein question, mention primary, secondary, tertiary structures, incl. alpha helix and beta pleated sheet etc. In an enzyme question just mentioning the word 'active-site' can get you a mark!)

It is really simply phrases and words which will get you the marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending