The Student Room Group

Proof of Limits

Hi, I have the following question:

Capture.PNG

I did the proof as dictated by a book, and have the following:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Could someone please check if it's ok, because there is no solutions in the book. Also I'll be uploading other exercises after this so just please check if it's ok :smile:
Original post by raees
Hi, I have the following question:

Capture.PNG

I did the proof as dictated by a book, and have the following:

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Could someone please check if it's ok, because there is no solutions in the book. Also I'll be uploading other exercises after this so just please check if it's ok :smile:

The mistake I noticed was that the final line in the 1st image should use the fact that

ϵ4<x<ϵ4ϵ+4>x>4ϵ\displaystyle -\epsilon - 4 < -x < \epsilon - 4 \Rightarrow \epsilon + 4 > x > 4 -\epsilon

Also, it's always better to use quantifiers, at undergraduate level anyway.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Indeterminate
The mistake I noticed was that the final line in the 1st image should use the fact that

ϵ4<x<ϵ4ϵ+4>x>4ϵ\displaystyle -\epsilon - 4 < -x < \epsilon - 4 \Rightarrow \epsilon + 4 > x > 4 -\epsilon

Also, it's always better to use quantifiers, at undergraduate level anyway.

quantifiers?
Original post by raees
quantifiers?

\forall

means "for all"

\exists

means "there exists"

As the name suggests, they relate to quantity.
Reply 4
oh! ok, thank you for the help
Reply 5
Original post by Indeterminate
\forall

means "for all"

\exists

means "there exists"

As the name suggests, they relate to quantity.

Do not listen to this guy. Words are vastly preferable to symbols. Symbols are just abbreviations; sometimes they are useful and sometimes they aren't.

For instance

eiπe^{i\pi}

is much better than

"The exponential function evaluated at the square root of minus one times the area of the unit circle"

but on the other hand

for all ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 there exists a δ>0\delta > 0 such that for all xx with 0<xc<δ0 < |x − c | < \delta, we have f(x)L<ϵ|f(x) − L| < \epsilon

is vastly preferable to

ϵ>0δ>0 ⁣:x,0<xc<δf(x)L<ϵ\forall \epsilon > 0 \exists\delta > 0\colon \forall x, 0 < |x - c | < \delta \Rightarrow|f(x) - L| < \epsilon

since it is eminently more readable.

Save the overuse of symbols for notes and formal logic and use words in your own writing. This is how maths is written - take a look at any book.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by raees

It is kind of ok (a couple of slip ups) but here is the main problem. The order and the way you have written it out is horrendous.

When you are writing an epsilon delta type proof, you should start off by fixing epsilon and defining delta and showing that it works.

What the book has told you is the way in general to find a delta that works. What you have written out is your workings out/scrap notes that you would calculate BEFORE writing out an actual answer. When you write out an answer, you do it in the way easiest to read and follow, not in the order following the thought process needed to get to it.

In this case, you have overcomplicated something extremely simple. For example, here is my proof.

Let ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 be given and define δ:=ϵ\delta := \epsilon.

Then 0<x4<δ0 < |x-4| < \delta is equivalent to 0<4x<δ0 < |4-x| < \delta (by definition of the modulus) which is further equivalent to 0<4x<ϵ 0 < |4-x| < \epsilon (since ϵ=δ\epsilon = \delta)

The final inequality may be written as 0<f(x)L<ϵ 0 < |f(x)-L| <\epsilon

where f(x)=9xf(x) = 9-x and L=5L=5.

Therefore, by definition, the limit of f(x)f(x) as x4x \rightarrow 4 is 55.

The point was that both inequalities were the same with epsilon replaced with delta so choosing delta equal to epsilon makes the RHS equivalent to the LHS (which is even stronger than what you need).
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Mark85
It is kind of ok (a couple of slip ups) but here is the main problem. The order and the way you have written it out is horrendous.

When you are writing an epsilon delta type proof, you should start off by fixing epsilon and defining delta and showing that it works.

What the book has told you is the way in general to find a delta that works. What you have written out is your workings out/scrap notes that you would calculate BEFORE writing out an actual answer. When you write out an answer, you do it in the way easiest to read and follow, not in the order following the thought process needed to get to it.

In this case, you have overcomplicated something extremely simple. For example, here is my proof.

Let ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 be given and define δ:=ϵ\delta := \epsilon.

Then 0<x4<δ0 < |x-4| < \delta is equivalent to 0<4x<δ0 < |4-x| < \delta (by definition of the modulus) which is further equivalent to 0<4x<ϵ 0 < |4-x| < \epsilon (since ϵ=δ\epsilon = \delta)

The final inequality may be written as 0<f(x)L<ϵ 0 < |f(x)-L| <\epsilon

where f(x)=9xf(x) = 9-x and L=5L=5.

Therefore, by definition, the limit of f(x)f(x) as x4x \rightarrow 4 is 55.

The point was that both inequalities were the same with epsilon replaced with delta so choosing delta equal to epsilon makes the RHS equivalent to the LHS (which is even stronger than what you need).

Now I'm a bit confused :/

I looked at the next question it asks for me to prove the following:

Capture.PNG

So I do as you say and get the following:

Capture.PNG

but then where do I go from here?

p.s. sorry for late reply, didn't get a notification that someone else had replied.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by raees

but then where do I go from here?

I don't think you understood what I was saying. The game with these proofs is that if I give you an ϵ>0\epsilon >0, you give me a δ\delta such that if xx is within ±δ\pm \delta of a point cc, then f(x)f(x) is within ±ϵ\pm \epsilon of LL. If you can do that for any ϵ>0\epsilon >0 I give you, then you have shown that limxcf(x)=L\mathrm{lim}_{x \rightarrow c} f(x) = L.

Generally, the way you write a proof covering any choice of ϵ\epsilon is to write δ\delta as a function of ϵ\epsilon.

The sole aim of the game is working out how to define δ\delta in a way that works. The method that you used to work out δ\delta was fine and basically involves going backwards to ensure that the δ\delta does what you want but my point was that you can't write down all of your workings out as an answer in the order you worked it out - it makes for confused and horrible reading. Once you have worked out how to define δ\delta you just do that at the start of the proof and then the rest of the proof is demonstrating that it works.

You can't generally start writing the proof straight away - you do some working out, figure out how to define δ\delta and then write the proof. Here, I don't think δ:=ϵ\delta:=\epsilon will work. You need to go back and use some method to define a δ\delta that will work.

Hint: To simplify things, put y:=x5y:=x-5. This means, you want to define δ\delta such that

0<y4<δ0<y2<ϵ0<\mid y- 4\mid < \delta \Rightarrow 0 < \mid \sqrt{y} - 2 \mid < \epsilon

Further hint: Use the fact that

0<y2<ϵ 0 < \mid \sqrt{y} - 2 \mid < \epsilon
0<y2y+2y+2<ϵ\Leftrightarrow 0 < \mid \sqrt{y} - 2 \mid \frac{\mid \sqrt{y} + 2 \mid}{\mid \sqrt{y} + 2 \mid} < \epsilon
0<y2y+2<ϵy+2\Leftrightarrow 0 < \mid \sqrt{y} - 2 \mid \mid \sqrt{y} + 2 \mid < \epsilon \mid \sqrt{y} + 2 \mid
0<y4<ϵy+2\Leftrightarrow 0 < \mid y - 4 \mid < \epsilon \mid \sqrt{y} + 2 \mid

Further further hint:

If δ<1\delta<1 then

y4<δ3<y<53+2<y+2<5+2\mid y - 4 \mid < \delta \Rightarrow 3 < y < 5 \Rightarrow \sqrt{3} + 2 < \sqrt{y} + 2 < \sqrt{5} +2

Can you put these together and work out how to define suitable delta?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Mark85
I don't think you understood what I was saying. The game with these proofs is that if I give you an ϵ>0\epsilon >0, you give me a δ\delta such that if xx is within ±δ\pm \delta of a point cc, then f(x)f(x) is within ±ϵ\pm \epsilon of LL.

How do I know what the value of x will be?
Reply 10
Original post by raees
How do I know what the value of x will be?

You are considering a limit at a particular point inside the domain at your function. The values of x are the ones in some neighbourhood of that point. Go back and read the definition of a limit and try to understand what it is...

You are showing that you can get the value of a function as close as you like to the limit (lying at a distance of ±ϵ\pm \epsilon by taking any value of xx within ±δ\pm \delta of the point cc. Try to think of the picture.

You really have to take the time to read, learn and inwardly digest the definition of a limit before you start being able to work out and write a proof that a limit exists. Otherwise, you will get very confused by what the book (or me or whoever) is actually trying to do.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Mark85
You are considering a limit at a particular point inside the domain at your function. The values of x are the ones in some neighbourhood of that point. Go back and read the definition of a limit and try to understand what it is...

You are showing that you can get the value of a function as close as you like to the limit (lying at a distance of ±ϵ\pm \epsilon by taking any value of xx within ±δ\pm \delta of the point cc. Try to think of the picture.

You really have to take the time to read, learn and inwardly digest the definition of a limit before you start being able to work out and write a proof that a limit exists. Otherwise, you will get very confused by what the book (or me or whoever) is actually trying to do.

ok, thanks for the help anyways
Reply 12
Original post by Mark85

Ok so I did some more studying and have run into a problem with a question.

This is the question:

IMG_20130316_173115.JPG

and I did the following first(rough work), to determine a value for delta:

Capture.jpg

I end up with two values.. I tried setting one, but I don't end up with
|f(x)-L|<epsilon , how do I set a value?
Reply 13
someone?
Reply 14
Original post by raees

I end up with two values.. I tried setting one, but I don't end up with
|f(x)-L|<epsilon , how do I set a value?

To be honest, I can't really understand what you wrote... for instance I don't know why you would make delta be a function of x...

But if you go back to my previous post, you will see that I found that if I assume that delta is less than one, I could then show that if delta was a particular multiple of epsilon, it would work. In that situation therefore, I would define delta to be the minimum of 1 and the particular multiple of epsilon that I determined so that both conditions would be satisfied. Without looking at what you have done, try taking delta to be the minimum of the two values and see if you can write out a proper proof (in here if you like) and we can help check it or otherwise, you will get to a point where it won't work and you can hopefully see the problem.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Mark85
To be honest, I can't really understand what you wrote... for instance I don't know why you would make delta be a function of x...

But if you go back to my previous post, you will see that I found that if I assume that delta is less than one, I could then show that if delta was a particular multiple of epsilon, it would work. In that situation therefore, I would define delta to be the minimum of 1 and the particular multiple of epsilon that I determined so that both conditions would be satisfied. Without looking at what you have done, try taking delta to be the minimum of the two values and see if you can write out a proper proof (in here if you like) and we can help check it or otherwise, you will get to a point where it won't work and you can hopefully see the problem.

ook... how about this -->

Capture11.PNG

Capture12.PNG

Capture13.PNG

Capture14.PNG
Reply 16
Original post by raees
ook... how about this -->

You seem to be going along the right lines in your workings but your 'proof' makes no logical sense and is incomplete. You need to actually write a sentence or two, starting with a premise and arriving at a conclusion and try to explain what is going on where necessary.

Another problem is also that your choice of delta won't work here. Your workings relied on δ=min{1,ϵ(5+2)}\delta = \mathrm{min}\{1,\epsilon(\sqrt{5} +2)\} but then you unexplicably choose to define δ=ϵ(5+2)\delta=\epsilon(\sqrt{5} +2)... You also needed to have used the lower of the bounds on xx rather than the higher to make it work so would need δ=min{1,ϵ(3+2)}\delta = \mathrm{min}\{1,\epsilon(\sqrt{3} +2)\}

Think about it, the proof has to work for any positive ϵ\epsilon. If ϵ\epsilon is larger than 13+2\frac{1}{\sqrt{3} +2} then your bound on xx doesn't apply anymore; you assumed that δ\delta was less than 11 for that.

To write a proof that a limit exists and has a certain value like this you have to start by fixing an ϵ>0\epsilon > 0, defining a δ\delta (depending on epsilon) and then assuming that, in this case, 0<x9<δ0 < |x-9| < \delta and then deriving from that the conclusion x52<ϵ|\sqrt{x-5}-2|<\epsilon if necessary going backwards through your working to justify each step. Thus the form of the proof should look like this (and the dots between implications represent steps which must be filled in):

Fix ϵ>0\epsilon > 0 and set δ:=min{1,ϵ(3+2)}\delta:=\mathrm{min}\{1,\epsilon(\sqrt{3} +2)\}.

Then 0<x9<δx52<ϵ(3+2)x5+20<|x-9|<\delta \Rightarrow \cdots \Rightarrow |\sqrt{x-5}-2|< \frac{\epsilon(\sqrt{3} +2)}{\sqrt{x-5}+2} since δϵ(3+2)\delta \leq \epsilon(\sqrt{3} +2).

On the other hand, 0<x9<δx5+2>3+20<|x-9|<\delta \Rightarrow \cdots \Rightarrow \sqrt{x-5}+2 > \sqrt{3} +2 since δ1\delta \leq 1.

Therefore, 3+2x5+2<3+23+2=1\frac{\sqrt{3} +2}{\sqrt{x-5}+2} <\frac{\sqrt{3} +2}{\sqrt{3}+2}=1 and so ϵ(3+2)x5+2<ϵ\frac{\epsilon(\sqrt{3} +2)}{\sqrt{x-5}+2}<\epsilon. Together with the above, we get that
0<x9<δx52<ϵ0<|x-9|<\delta \Rightarrow |\sqrt{x-5}-2|< \epsilon as required.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest