The Student Room Group

Uve been to childschools 8 years ago, what would u change if u were in control?

Personally i am quite an extemist, i would let child school start at 11 in the morning so kids can sleep out a bit and drink tea in the moring... This what i say is not nonsense because a Japanese study proofed that children who sleep longer get better grades in school ....

What i also missed when i was 11 ( in the year zero ) , that there were no group discusions, it was merely 100% of all the time the teacher talking and the kids had to shut up and listen,,,, so no intervention of speach for kidss... wich is a crying shame, kids are not robots hey...and certanly not machines....

Oke what would u change?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Teach proper spelling and grammar.
Reply 2
I would make sure all kids learnt good spelling, punctuation and grammar.
Original post by CLS94
I would make sure all kids learnt good spelling, punctuation and grammar.

This is the remark of a fool, bacause any kid these days has Google to check on spelling and also spelling controle,,, Jesus my **** nephew of 3 has a labtop and knows this...

Oke next person to answer... and ps i spell bad english because i am German...
Reply 4
Original post by edwinemanuelposse
This is the remark of a fool, bacause any kid these days has Google to check on spelling and also spelling controle,,, Jesus my **** nephew of 3 has a labtop and knows this...

Oke next person to answer... and ps i spell bad english because i am German...

Presumably then, you have good to check your spelling as well. It doesn't seem to have helped much. And don't blame it on that. I can tell your probably not first language English as some of your phrases are a bit off (but still understandable, don't worry :smile: ) but all the shortening words you clearly know how to spell and using four commas at once isn't anything to do with it.
Personally i am quite an extemist, i would let child school start at 11 in the morning so kids can sleep out a bit and drink tea in the moring... This what i say is not nonsense because a Japanese study proofed that children who sleep longer get better grades in school ....

What i also missed when i was 11 ( in the year zero ) , that there were no group discusions, it was merely 100% of all the time the teacher talking and the kids had to shut up and listen,,,, so no intervention of speach for kidss... wich is a crying shame, kids are not robots hey...and certanly not machines....

Oke what would u change?

totally agree with u.. everything u said is spot on.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6

Oke what would u change?

I would NOT start school at 11
I agree that children need sleep and that parent's should take responsibility for their children's sleep patterns, ensuring they go to bed at a sensible time

Your description of very teacher led classrooms may be the case in Germany but it is far less so in the UK where the majority of classrooms (especially in good schools) will have a wide variety of tasks taking place over time
Reply 7
I would change the teachers. I would get teachers that can actually teach and are bothered to do their job. (mostly for secondary school)
Reply 8
Original post by Meghna96
I would change the teachers. I would get teachers that can actually teach and are bothered to do their job. (mostly for secondary school)

And how would you do that?
Reply 9

Obviously, when your a kid that's what you think - but in reality, most teachers do teach well (or at least are constrained by the course guidelines) and do want to do their job.
Reply 10
Original post by zaliack
Obviously, when your a kid that's what you think - but in reality, most teachers do teach well (or at least are constrained by the course guidelines) and do want to do their job.

me and most of my year at my school haven't had a good relationship with teachers. I have maths teacher that uses other students to teach because they may have understood it earlier than the rest of the class and she uses maths watch to teach us. That is not what's called being the teacher. Our learning has become too independant. I'm in top set. guess it's just a personal opinion.

also, they have preference- they'd rather to revision classes for people on D's and C's just to boost up the % A*-C's even though Everyone needs revision classes, weather an A* or and E student. They don't push us enough.

this sort of links to the brightest pupils failed by state schools thread.
Reply 11
Original post by TenOfThem
And how would you do that?

not exactly sure

Teachers just need to be kind, teach us everything we need and make sure we understand before moving onto another topic , finish teaching everything a week before the exam, and provide revision to anyone. It's all I'm asking for .

But some teachers are just plain lazy and unorganized.
me and most of my year at my school haven't had a good relationship with teachers. I have maths teacher that uses other students to teach because they may have understood it earlier than the rest of the class and she uses maths watch to teach us. That is not what's called being the teacher. Our learning has become too independant. I'm in top set. guess it's just a personal opinion.

That is good teaching (unless it is every lesson)

There is plenty of evidence that suggests the weaker students will benefit from the different explanation and that the brighter ones will benefit from unpicking their understanding in order to explain

Why not use MathsWatch ... why is it better to watch your teacher go through a question that the MathsWatch Lady

As I say ... if these are the only lessons then it is poor teaching

But then again ... you want to replace her from an almost non-existant pool of maths teachers

also, they have preference- they'd rather to revision classes for people on D's and C's just to boost up the % A*-C's even though Everyone needs revision classes, weather an A* or and E student. They don't push us enough.

No, they would not "rather" do that

There are 2 issues here

One is that the government have placed such ridiculous always increasing targets on your teacher's shoulders that relate to C+ grades

The other is this

Student A struggles with Maths/English but is on the cusp of achieving the C that will make a massive difference in their life chances

Student B finds Maths/English fairly easy and is on the cusp of achieving an A* that will make almost no difference to the opportunities they will have in life

Which of these do you think should get the extra teacher time and which should take it upon themselves to complete extra study and ask for help during a lesson/break time
(edited 11 years ago)

But some teachers are just plain lazy and unorganized.

But where is the supply of excellent teacher that you are looking for?

Do you really think that your head teacher has a choice of candidates and rejects the good in favour of the rubbish?
Reply 14
Later start times just mean you go to sleep later, not that you'll get more sleep. If you were truly an extremist as you claim, you'd drug the kids to ensure they went to sleep at the same time.
I'd give aptitude tests after nursery on to which I'd add 1 year of basic schooling. Then maybe a couple more between schools. At the moment we have a system where really smart kids will have stupid teachers. What reason would such a child have to accept what a teachers that says "fink" says over what they themselves "think"? Teachers will always end up hating a section of the brightest kids in crap schools for this reason and invent rubbish like adhd and dyslexia in order to explain them away. They will then become criminals.

As I've said many times, a meritocratic education system is in the interests of the whole of society because if you want the best doctors you need to select from the largest possible pool.
Reply 16
But where is the supply of excellent teacher that you are looking for?

Do you really think that your head teacher has a choice of candidates and rejects the good in favour of the rubbish?

I don't know, you tell me! I'm just a student ranting about my school. It's my opinion.
I don't know, you tell me! I'm just a student ranting about my school. It's my opinion.

I understand that it is your opinion

I am telling you the reality that we sometimes have less than excellent teachers because there is no choice

This is the sad truth

So - unless something is done to attract more people into secondary education you cannot simply swop the ones who are not good for good ones :frown:
Reply 18
That is good teaching (unless it is every lesson)

There is plenty of evidence that suggests the weaker students will benefit from the different explanation and that the brighter ones will benefit from unpicking their understanding in order to explain

Why not use MathsWatch ... why is it better to watch your teacher go through a question that the MathsWatch Lady

As I say ... if these are the only lessons then it is poor teaching

But then again ... you want to replace her from an almost non-existant pool of maths teachers

No, they would not "rather" do that

There are 2 issues here

One is that the government have placed such ridiculous always increasing targets on your teacher's shoulders that relate to C+ grades

The other is this

Student A struggles with Maths/English but is on the cusp of achieving the C that will make a massive difference in their life chances

Student B finds Maths/English fairly easy and is on the cusp of achieving an A* that will make almost no difference to the opportunities they will have in life

Which of these do you think should get the extra teacher time and which should take it upon themselves to complete extra study and ask for help during a lesson/break time

Maths watch is used maybe once a week- but the thing is, she doesn't teach us how to solve a problem, even though we've never come across the topic before. She may teach us one example and then expects us to be able to understand everything else in that topic .

but I have to say maths watch is 10x better than her teaching.

She's sent the weaker students to go have special tutoring outside the classroom during our lessons, and he has taught us as a supply once. His teaching for that lesson was really beneficial.

They should give us the opportunities to be able to achieve that A*- I'm not saying they shouln't focus on C students- everyone should have equal opportunities. And if provided, I think more students on that A/B boundary would want to attend that revision than C/D students.
Reply 19
I would make so that you get homework everyday to understand the subject, only employ teachers who feel a dedication for their subject, not the ones who work just to earn money.

I don't agree on the point of setting 11 am as a start of the school. When I was at that age, my lessons started from 8 am and it didn't bother me, and it didn't affect my grades (I was the best student in the class with the highest grades). I had a teacher who taught us all subjects like Maths, English + our native language and she was very dedicated to her job, she loved children and she was the best teacher at that time.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending