The Student Room Group

The Queen shows support for gay rights, for the first time

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9920238/Queen-to-sign-new-charter-backing-gay-rights.html

Give it a read. What do you think?

I was disgusted by some of the statistics like:

Forty-one of the Commonwealth’s 54 nations retain legislation against homosexual acts. In parts of Nigeria and Pakistan those found to have taken part in gay sex can receive the death penalty, in Trinidad and Tobago it can incur 25 years in jail and life imprisonment in Sierra Leone, Tanzania, Uganda, Bangladesh and Guyana

It'd be better to go all imperialist on these countries just to force change, as a humanitarian act.

Still, good news for the LGBT community and a step forward for society :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by Miracle Day
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/9920238/Queen-to-sign-new-charter-backing-gay-rights.html

It'd be better to go all imperialist on these countries just to force change, as a humanitarian act.

Lol.
Might be the first time publicly, but surely in 1967 when homosexual relationships were legalised, she had much more power to stop it back then, yet she didn't. Therefore, this is why I doubt it is the first time she has supported our rights.
Reply 3
Original post by Reform
Lol.

I'm an interventionist, shoot me.
Reply 4
David Davies is an ignorant prick, "one can’t help wondering what Prince Philip’s view would be". Why is that relevant?
Original post by aja89
David Davies is an ignorant prick, "one can’t help wondering what Prince Philip’s view would be". Why is that relevant?

Frankly I don't think the Queens opinion is relevant either.
It will be purely cerimonial. Of course it is a good thing to know the Queen supports gay rights and gender and racial equality. I though that the Queen was suppost to hide her feelings and not show any politican direction, isn't that why people are worried what will happen when Prince Charles takes over?

Anyway this is a small step. It is disgraceful that countries still have punishments for being gay but I hardly think they were waiting for the Queen to reveal her opinion before acting. Hopefully it might bring some press coverage and a chance to raise awareness. A small step in the right direction.
Reply 8
Original post by elitepower
It will be purely cerimonial. Of course it is a good thing to know the Queen supports gay rights and gender and racial equality. I though that the Queen was suppost to hide her feelings and not show any politican direction, isn't that why people are worried what will happen when Prince Charles takes over?

The Queen is signing this, just as she signs Acts of Parliament. It doesn't express a personal political opinion, but rather an official one.

As for being purely ceremonial, it will happily give the Commonwealth more leeway to boot out countries who act in a way which is incompatible with our values. And being thrown out of the Commonwealth makes you look almost instantly like a pariah state.

You're pathetic excuse for a human being. You do realise that most of the current homophobic legislation in these countries is the the legacy of British colonialism?

As brown queers we are perfectly capable for fighting our own battles and don't need your white saviour ass.
Reply 10

Totally agree. However for her to deliberately avoid saying sexuality shows she really has no backbone.

That said she can say whatever she pleases, it matters not one iota.
Original post by Dante's Inferno
You're pathetic excuse for a human being. You do realise that most of the current homophobic legislation in these countries is the the legacy of British colonialism?

As brown queers we are perfectly capable for fighting our own battles and don't need your white saviour ass.

Seems like you have jumped to a conclusion far too quickly here, my man. Although the OPs comment was ill thought out I guess he had good intentions at heart: to rectify what has gone on in the past. However, I don't think your slightly racist comment will help things. If anything you have just shown yourself up to be a bit of a bitter and twisted individual that has hate for an entire race of people based on what actions occurred before we were born. Educate yourself and grow up.
Reply 12
One thing that confuses me about this. If 41 out of the 54 Commonwealth countries have laws against homosexual acts, why did they agree to this charter? I'd have thought things like this would at least need a majority of the countries in favour of it, but maybe I'm wrong about that.
“This is the first time that the Queen has publicly acknowledged the importance of the six per cent of her subjects who are gay.”

By signing a charter that doesnt mention the fact? Seriously?
Reply 14
politically correct brigade

Anything else he says is invalidated by his non-ironic use of this phrase.

Aside from that though, I'm glad to see the country coming around to the idea of gay marriage. It's not infringing on anybody's rights. This phrase comes to mind:

"Don't want gay marriage? Don't get gay married."

That said, this does not mean that the Queen is supporting such legislation. It is her job to sign this charter because it was what was agreed upon by the Commonwealth nations. It doesn't mean she supports it. She is supposed to remain apolitical.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by Dante's Inferno

I'm out of +rep but this.
Original post by L i b
The Queen is signing this, just as she signs Acts of Parliament. It doesn't express a personal political opinion, but rather an official one.

As for being purely ceremonial, it will happily give the Commonwealth more leeway to boot out countries who act in a way which is incompatible with our values. And being thrown out of the Commonwealth makes you look almost instantly like a pariah state.

Ah I see thanks. There is a BBC article on it that adds some more detail - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21732545

Quick Reply

Latest