The Student Room Group

How far away did you/are you moving away for Uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Emre944
I'll be moving from Istanbul, Turkey to UK hopefully. I've never been to the UK before but I can't wait to go since getting to study abroad has been a long term goal/dream of mine.

I'm sure you'll have a great time :smile:
Original post by Wick3d
Only 80 miles. Wish it could of been more.

80 miles is still quite a distance tbh, I'm sure it'll still be exciting :smile:
From middle of England to Edinburgh; to drive it takes around 5 hours but on the train it's more like 7 due to changes. Currently on my year abroad and it takes less time to get home from here than Scotland.
3 hours
If I got to Lancaster about 77.7 miles
If I got to Liverpool 47.7 miles

I want to go somewhere that I can live but can also return home regularly
Reply 45
Birmingham to Sheffield. A direct train which takes 1 hour. For me it's perfect - I'm in a completely different city so I have no need to travel back. If I was in Wolverhampton or Coventry or something like that, I might end up going back for shopping or nights out.
However the fact that it's an hour means that if I DO decide to go back, I dunno for someone's birthday or whatever, it's relatively quick and cheap. Emphasis on the cheap - you'd be amazed how much you end up spending on train tickets, and imagine what that would be like if you're from Kent and you've picked Aberdeen or something?

(Just checked out of curiosity and a Single from Canterbury to Aberdeen, tomorrow at midday would set you back £54, and that's with a railcard!)
(edited 11 years ago)
bump
I moved from Liverpool to Aberystwyth in Wales last September, which is about a three hour drive; but in July I'm going on a study exchange for a semester to Brisbane in Australia and that'll be an approximate 28 hour trans-continental flight away.
10 hours, Aberdeen to Norwich :love: So so glad I did it, it's brilliant being somewhere where nobody remembers embarrassing things you did when you were younger. Admittedly there are plenty of opportunities for humiliation at uni but still, nobody needs their childhood stories added onto that, do they? No preconceived ideas about you either, which is awesome. I guess I wanted to "reinvent myself", so I went far, far away. Plus I fell in love with UEA and Norwich so I had to be here :love: And your parents aren't around all the time, although I still talk to mine regularly on Skype. Only downside was forgetting my ID and leaving it at uni when I went home for Christmas/my 18th birthday, and since it was 10 hours away I couldn't nip back and get it. :lol: I really didn't want to leave uni though, I like it too much, I'm staying over the Easter holidays, partly because it'll be easier to study but mostly because this is my second home now and I like it. And train tickets cost a fortune but when they run on time, trains are fun. Going to have a faff sorting all my things out over the summer but I just didn't want to stay at home anymore. I would've gone to New Zealand if I could but apparently they don't let British students do pharmacy there which is what I really wanted to do but I really really want to move there after I graduate. In short, being ages away from home has its downsides and sometimes it would be nice for my friends back home to meet my friends here, but I'm trying to convince all my pals to go to Edinburgh in the summer (much more interesting than Aberdeen!) so maybe they'll meet then :biggrin:. Moving out is fun!
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 49
I'm from Hull and will be moving to either Preston, Lancashire or Liverpool for Uni, so straight down the motorway for me, not too far!
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
10 hours, Aberdeen to Norwich :love: So so glad I did it, it's brilliant being somewhere where nobody remembers embarrassing things you did when you were younger. Admittedly there are plenty of opportunities for humiliation at uni but still, nobody needs their childhood stories added onto that, do they? No preconceived ideas about you either, which is awesome. I guess I wanted to "reinvent myself", so I went far, far away. Plus I fell in love with UEA and Norwich so I had to be here :love: And your parents aren't around all the time, although I still talk to mine regularly on Skype. Only downside was forgetting my ID and leaving it at uni when I went home for Christmas/my 18th birthday, and since it was 10 hours away I couldn't nip back and get it. :lol: I really didn't want to leave uni though, I like it too much, I'm staying over the Easter holidays, partly because it'll be easier to study but mostly because this is my second home now and I like it. And train tickets cost a fortune but when they run on time, trains are fun. Going to have a faff sorting all my things out over the summer but I just didn't want to stay at home anymore. I would've gone to New Zealand if I could but apparently they don't let British students do pharmacy there which is what I really wanted to do but I really really want to move there after I graduate. In short, being ages away from home has its downsides and sometimes it would be nice for my friends back home to meet my friends here, but I'm trying to convince all my pals to go to Edinburgh in the summer (much more interesting than Aberdeen!) so maybe they'll meet then :biggrin:. Moving out is fun!

Exactly the same reason I'll be moving far away :smile: I want to start all over again. And I think going to a uni far away is probably the best way to do that :smile:
Original post by beansontoast93
Exactly the same reason I'll be moving far away :smile: I want to start all over again. And I think going to a uni far away is probably the best way to do that :smile:

Definitely, I can say my life is quite different now to what it was at school, in a good way. :biggrin: There are practical issues to living so far away but as a rule it's brilliant. I always wanted to move away for university though and as much as I love my family my parents were pretty keen for me to leave as well, they both left home for uni so they understand why I wanted to.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 52
I am 10,000 miles away from home. Come from London studying at UQ in Australia :smile: can't exactly 'pop home' for the weekend when I please.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 53
According to Google, I moved 87.8 miles away for uni. Not exactly very far.

And now I live in a completely different place that happens to be 87.5 miles away from my home town, and also a similar distance to where I went to uni.
Reply 54
130 miles, from Norwich to Nottingham! :smile:
Reply 55
london to st andrews, 7/8 hours by train if you take account of all the changes and extra trains/buses :redface:

still get really really homesick, but i'm managing it okay :smile:
Reply 56
I'm hopefully going to Southampton which is two and a half hours away by car and a bloody nightmare by public transport.
I'm from Vienna, Austria and moved to Warwick.
West midland to London about 115 miles.
bump

Quick Reply

Latest