The Student Room Group

Has anyone started revising for Summer exams?

Scroll to see replies

I'm starting properly after March 26th (when all of my c/w should be completed). Until then it's c/w and organisation of materials. Got 6 exams in May/June (2 AS resits, 1 A2 resit and 3 first-time A2 exams). Motivated by the idea that I'll be done by the 10th June meaning that I can buy The Last of Us and try to relax for a couple of months before results :/ It's going to be tight though, Essentially one and a half months to prepare for first-time exams :/
Reply 141
Original post by Use Err Name
I'm starting properly after March 26th (when all of my c/w should be completed). Until then it's c/w and organisation of materials. Got 6 exams in May/June (2 AS resits, 1 A2 resit and 3 first-time A2 exams). Motivated by the idea that I'll be done by the 10th June meaning that I can buy The Last of Us and try to relax for a couple of months before results :/ It's going to be tight though, Essentially one and a half months to prepare for first-time exams :/

what did you get for your gcses, i was hoping to get some advice on gcse revision (i have 12 exams, no retakes) especially english literature, we haven't even been given anthologies yet, when the exams are 2 months away, thanks in advance
Yeah might as well, even though barely revising paid off in January. Just going to do C2, S1 and Chem2 revision till April then kick off with Biology and Econ 2
Original post by haroon77
what did you get for your gcses, i was hoping to get some advice on gcse revision (i have 12 exams, no retakes) especially english literature, we haven't even been given anthologies yet, when the exams are 2 months away, thanks in advance

Revise early or you'll will spend the holidays moping around feeling bad or yourself. Do lots of past papers as well.
Hell yes..I didn't expect my results to be so bad :s-smilie:
Started history revision..but I really don't know how to revise for biology !!! :frown:
Reply 145
Original post by SamTheMan95
Revise early or you'll will spend the holidays moping around feeling bad or yourself. Do lots of past papers as well.

thanks, what would you say abt eng lit, i really want an a*, how would i need to revise to master it
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Hell yes..I didn't expect my results to be so bad :s-smilie:
Started history revision..but I really don't know how to revise for biology !!! :frown:

Concentrate in lessons even though it may get boring sometimes, write notes and go over them when you get home so you reinforce what you learnt and try doing 1 past paper every week at least. For my bio unit1 I did every single paper and just missed out on an A ;( if I had concentrated/revised a bit more I would have secured it but you learn from your mistakes :smile: I think short bursts for biology are the best way to revise never try to do too much at one time.
How do you revise for history? I find it difficult so I always end up with B's :s-smilie: really want an A or even A* :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Swords N Thorns
I was quite happy with my results, got AAA in bio, chem and maths in the end, so my revision technique can't have been too shabby. This is how I've been revising:

- Start revising from the start. Some days I'll do 30 minutes a day, some days I'll do 3 hours a day, sometimes I won't do any revision at all today. Just go over what you did in your lessons that day, read the pages over, make sure you understand it all. If not, work at it until you do. If it only takes 5 minutes to understand everything, just leave it at that, and relax.

- In your free periods, actually do work. I usually do revision in this time. I usually alternate between bio and chem, and it just helps to refresh my memory so I don't forget things. I usually do maths solomon papers in the morning before college starts, just to try and slot some revision in.

- I usually save my homework until the weekend, but I don't do any revision at the weekends.

- Most of the time, don't bother wasting your time on pretty posters etc. Just learn it.

- Do all past papers when you've finished the syllabus. Then do them all again just before your exam. Memorise the mark schemes, key phrases etc. (Mostly applies to bio and chem).
I never bothered reading around the syllabus/reading examiners reports etc. I tried it, but felt like I was wasting my time.

Hope this helped! :smile:

helped heaps thanks! Gonna change my study plan now lol
Reply 148
I started the day I got my results...they were that bad. I'm gonna have 9 exams in summer and most of them are Maths so I need to get my ass in gear or else I won't be going to uni :'( . I'm pretty much revising at any time I can. Is this life? haha
How likely is it that I will be able to get 97 ums in my biology exam because this is what I need to get to get an a* overall in science !
Would I be able to choose to retake my biology and chemistry even though my teacher only thinks I need to retake biology because my target is an a
Original post by amberee
Concentrate in lessons even though it may get boring sometimes, write notes and go over them when you get home so you reinforce what you learnt and try doing 1 past paper every week at least. For my bio unit1 I did every single paper and just missed out on an A ;( if I had concentrated/revised a bit more I would have secured it but you learn from your mistakes :smile: I think short bursts for biology are the best way to revise never try to do too much at one time.
How do you revise for history? I find it difficult so I always end up with B's :s-smilie: really want an A or even A* :colondollar:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks!! I don't understand, for bio4 I did like every question possible for that paper, I knew the content inside out..but I guess HSW/application questions confuse me :frown:
Btw if you're doing AQA, do you think its easier to get higher UMS for unit 1 or unit 2? I don't want to re-do both!

For history, I've started going over the chapters and i'm making notes and going over the content and making sure I understand the causes of particular important events. Also things like why there's a political shift during a certain period of time..(I'm doing Kaiser to Fuhrer, edexcel btw).

For each chapter, I'm practicing essay questions. I think practicing essays is the best thing to be honest, the technique and structure of the essay is so important!

Same, I'm on a B, need an A because that's what I want to do at uni :tongue:
Good luck!! :smile:
Original post by haroon77
thanks, what would you say abt eng lit, i really want an a*, how would i need to revise to master it

I didn't revise at all for that and got an A. although our teachers recommended reading all short stories and poems so that when you see a question you know exactly which short stories or poems to use. Also you could do practice essays and ask your teacher to mark them for you. Good luck.
Original post by Yumnaarrhhh
Thanks!! I don't understand, for bio4 I did like every question possible for that paper, I knew the content inside out..but I guess HSW/application questions confuse me :frown:
Btw if you're doing AQA, do you think its easier to get higher UMS for unit 1 or unit 2? I don't want to re-do both!

For history, I've started going over the chapters and i'm making notes and going over the content and making sure I understand the causes of particular important events. Also things like why there's a political shift during a certain period of time..(I'm doing Kaiser to Fuhrer, edexcel btw).

For each chapter, I'm practicing essay questions. I think practicing essays is the best thing to be honest, the technique and structure of the essay is so important!

Same, I'm on a B, need an A because that's what I want to do at uni :tongue:
Good luck!! :smile:

Ahh I dunno :s I do Edexcel biology and OCR history but yeah the how science works are soo important especially for graph/practical questions you might get asked. History is becoming a nightmare for me I have to get an A as well :frown: My teacher said the same thing practice essays, make plans for questions etc but since we are doing Tudor rebellions I like learning about time period so makes it enjoyable to some level ;L
Ahaha thanks good luck to you as well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
AQA COMP3 students will have -.-
Its crazy I only have a week of study leave before my 9 exams start so I'll have to revise after school - however after school im usually mentally drained and therefore to exhausted 2 properly revise!
Any advise guys?
Original post by gooner4ever
Its crazy I only have a week of study leave before my 9 exams start so I'll have to revise after school - however after school im usually mentally drained and therefore to exhausted 2 properly revise!
Any advise guys?

Never had study leave at my sixth so after school and revising in free periods is the only way really. Easter holidays should be strict 8 hours a day of revision (with breaks of course) just use any free time you have from now and spend it revising. Give yourself a night off from time to time
Maybe revising with a group of friends will help you feel less tired because it will be more interactive? It's helped me loads in the past me and some friends are about to start a study group again now :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 157
I started revising the day after my jan exams finished because i was scared i'd get too relaxed and not be able to get into the mindset for revision until like a month before exams :tongue: it's been quite good though, i'm really on top of work and i'm feeling good about june exams (failed half my jan exams :tongue: )
Reply 158
LZS
OP
Original post by sickofeducation
im really struggling on ow to answer the long mark question, mu main problem is how to evaluate dat always brings my mark down, any tip on wt points to you to evulate?

I'm an AS student and I sat the Unit 1 exam in January and got a B with about 2 days worth of revision (stupid, I know) and main evaluation points that can be used in pretty much any long answer are:

Scale: how much effect is this going to make? If it's small, it won't matter as much

Opportunity cost: for anything to do with the government- they can spend the money elsewhere

Short run/long run : is it that bad in
The long run?

There are loads more specific ones depending on each question, but those ones are really useful for most questions needing evaluation.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 159
Officially started yesterday

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest