The Student Room Group

Is it too late to apply for a Masters?

Hi Guys,

Im in a pickle at the moment. Basically, For the past few months, I was put off from a masters because I didn't have the money to attend a London uni, or to go further afield in terms of living costs. I applied for a nfew scholarships- all rejections unfortunately.

Anyway, this week it happens that I've somehow run into funding (a relative died and left me some money in his will) that will comfortably pay for a masters without the need for substantial bank loans.

Im currently in my final year, reading for a degree in history. I'm at a fairly good 2.1 at the moment, with a 67% average. I have been predicted a first for this year, and am (so far) on track although who knows what could happen...But I think I'll have a 2.1 regardless. My academic background is in history, although I studied political science in China as part of a summer abroad study scholarship.

I want to apply for a masters in Politics, to fit with my career plans of being a Political Journalist. I've had experience in this area, having done work experience on politics desks of national newspapers, running the politics section of my student newspaper and setting up a political science magazine at my university. I've also worked in student and local government briefly.

Ideally, I'd like to be at the LSE, so that I can get a good education while still doing media stuff/freelancing. Problem is- I don't know if it's too late for me to apply at this stage. The anxiety is excruciating, so much so that it is affecting my degree rather significantly (ie. super behind on my dissertation). If someone could provide some advice as to what might be a good move, I would really appreciate that!
Reply 1
err, ring up the LSE and ask about the courses you are interested in?
I know people who have their heart set on a course that they haven't applied to yet!

I may be wrong on this, but I think many Masters courses, unlike Bachelors, don't have a set application date. They fill up when they fill up. Also, they want your money, to be quite honest..
Reply 3
Original post by lightburns
I know people who have their heart set on a course that they haven't applied to yet!

I may be wrong on this, but I think many Masters courses, unlike Bachelors, don't have a set application date. They fill up when they fill up. Also, they want your money, to be quite honest..

Yeah- generally for competitive courses it tends to be 'earlier the better', which was why I was fairly reluctant to (had i known about the money, I'd have done it in december-jan).
Reply 4
LSE does rolling admissions, and while some of the more popular courses are closed already others are still listed as open - but it's quite late in the application cycle and they may close soon. And rushing an application may not help your case... If I were in your shoes I'd be inclined to concentrate on your dissertation and any more exams you may have, try get that first, find something useful to do in a gap year, and take your time applying properly to a range of programs.
Reply 5
The chances of you getting a place now are much smaller than if you were to apply at the end of last year.

I know of people waiting until the spring/summer time before applying and getting into a Masters course in the same year, but I don't think any of them were at places that were deemed competitive (mostly humanities/creative arts courses).

Rather than busting a gut to get a place this year, you could however apply now for a place in the following year, maybe?
Reply 7

Yes, but this is the problem with applying for competitive courses now:

Submitting an application before a programme is listed as closed does not guarantee that your application will be considered.

If you submit your application but the programme closes before you can be considered, you will be given the option to choose an alternative choice which is still available - we will let you know how to do this at the time. We advise you to apply as soon as possible

It's a popular course at LSE (and elsewhere), the OP has a chance to get a first, and rushing an application to try get it in often backfires. He could try do this and there is the chance he gets in of course, but if he doesn't I think taking time with applications and applying for next year is a good idea. (Also - even if he can rush the application, a lot of postgrad applicants run up against delays because referees take a long time to send in references.)
Original post by sj27
Yes, but this is the problem with applying for competitive courses now:

Submitting an application before a programme is listed as closed does not guarantee that your application will be considered.

If you submit your application but the programme closes before you can be considered, you will be given the option to choose an alternative choice which is still available - we will let you know how to do this at the time. We advise you to apply as soon as possible

It's a popular course at LSE (and elsewhere), the OP has a chance to get a first, and rushing an application to try get it in often backfires. He could try do this and there is the chance he gets in of course, but if he doesn't I think taking time with applications and applying for next year is a good idea. (Also - even if he can rush the application, a lot of postgrad applicants run up against delays because referees take a long time to send in references.)

But I was just pointing out the fact that it is still possible to apply. Of course, the OP's chances will be worse now. But if the OP really wants it, trying doesn't hurt
Reply 9
I don't know about LSE, but I applied for International Relations in Exeter a couple of weeks ago, and they gave me a conditional within a few days. York also responded within a week's time for the same course. There's still time, in other words, unless their website says the course is closed.
Reply 10
It's not too late at all - I would however apply as early as you can; perhaps try and get your application sent off by mid-March if possible. I recently applied to the LSE in early February (if my memory serves me correctly) and I received an offer for the IR MSc course after three weeks of submission. I have applied for another course in late February and I am still waiting on a reply. The best of luck (-:
Honestly, I'd just apply, an application will take you half a day at most. I applied for masters at LSE, Birmingham, Sheffield,
Nottingham, Leicester and Edinburgh and did all them in a day and received offers from all of them, all history and politics masters courses. As long as you display you're a good student, highlight your research interests and who your supervisors are now, coupled with a decent academic record, you will be fine and they will offer you a place, they want your money, they charge an extraordinary fee for their programmes (I am only paying £3828 for my Mres at Birmingham compared the 8k+ at LSE) and they will make room for you if you're paying and have a decent academic record which you do obviously. Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending