The Student Room Group

Quick Q on The binomial expansion.

Hi guys, just come across something in the Core Mathematics 2 textbook that I'm a bit stuck on (page 84, q6) <-- just incase I write it out horribly :colondollar:

I've managed to solve this question with a little nudge in the right direction but I was wondering if there was a different, slightly quicker method to solving it. Here's the question;

The coefficient of x2x^2 in the binomial expansion of (1+x2)n(1 + \frac{x}{2})^n, where n is a positive integer, is 7. Find the value of n.

Okay, so I figured that the coefficient of x2x^2, which is 7, is equal to n4\frac{n}{4}. From that I get 28, and that's where I got stuck. Someone told me that I know the answer is 8 because 28 is in the expansion of (a+b)8(a+b)^8, but surely there's a quicker way than sitting there writing out pascal's triangle all the way to 8?! :eek:

Any help is greatly appreciated as usual :P
Reply 1
how did you get n/4
Original post by lebron_23
Hi guys, just come across something in the Core Mathematics 2 textbook that I'm a bit stuck on (page 84, q6) <-- just incase I write it out horribly :colondollar:

I've managed to solve this question with a little nudge in the right direction but I was wondering if there was a different, slightly quicker method to solving it. Here's the question;

The coefficient of x2x^2 in the binomial expansion of (1+x2)n(1 + \frac{x}{2})^n, where n is a positive integer, is 7. Find the value of n.

Okay, so I figured that the coefficient of x2x^2, which is 7, is equal to n4\frac{n}{4}. From that I get 28, and that's where I got stuck. Someone told me that I know the answer is 8 because 28 is in the expansion of (a+b)8(a+b)^8, but surely there's a quicker way than sitting there writing out pascal's triangle all the way to 8?! :eek:

Any help is greatly appreciated as usual :P

Well:

(1 + x/2)^n

1 + nx + n(n-1)/2! (x/2)^2 +...

So:

[n(n-1)/2!]/4 = 7/4
Ignore my post actually.

I'm blabbering.
Reply 4
Original post by TenOfThem
how did you get n/4

Well, I used the binomial expansion as you normally would but with the power as n rather than a number. So the expansion in ascending order of x gave me (n2)\displaystyle \binom{n}{2} x 1n11^n-1 x x24\frac{x^2}{4}. Then, making 7 = n4\frac{n}{4} I got 28 as my answer. If I went wrong somewhere, please point it out and please feel free to give me tonnes and tonnes of help :colone:

(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Well, I used the binomial expansion as you normally would but with the power as n rather than a number. So the expansion in ascending order of x gave me (n2)\displaystyle \binom{n}{2} x 1n11^n-1 x x24\frac{x^2}{4}. Then, making 7 = n4\frac{n}{4} I got 28 as my answer. If I went wrong somewhere, please point it out and please feel free to give me tonnes and tonnes of help :colone:

You have not used the binomial expansion at all

(1+x2)n=1+n(x2)+n(n1)2!(x2)2(1+\frac{x}{2})^n = 1 + n(\frac{x}{2}) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2!}(\frac{x}{2})^2
Reply 6

(1+x2)n=1+n(x2)+n(n1)2!(x2)2(1+\frac{x}{2})^n = 1 + n(\frac{x}{2}) + \frac{n(n-1)}{2!}(\frac{x}{2})^2

Oh, that's a bit of a problem then :colondollar:. I thought it was possible to use the nCr function to find the coefficients of the terms in the expansion? That's sort of how I got to my answer.. It seems to work, but please explain your method, it seems more expansion-ish. Thanks again lol..

That's what I tried to type up!:biggrin:
Reply 8
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's what I tried to type up!:biggrin:

Haha its cool, I understood. What I didn't understand was what I said in my above post :confused: meh :colondollar:
Reply 9
Oh, that's a bit of a problem then :colondollar:. I thought it was possible to use the nCr function to find the coefficients of the terms in the expansion? That's sort of how I got to my answer.. It seems to work, but please explain your method, it seems more expansion-ish. Thanks again lol..

I have used nCr but in the simplified version that you should have also been taught

You seemed to decide that nC2 = 1... why?
Reply 10
I have used nCr but in the simplified version that you should have also been taught

You seemed to decide that nC2 = 1... why?

I didn't intend to make is equal 1. I thought that nC2 was equal to 28, because that divided by 4 would give the coefficient of x2x^2.
7 = n4\frac{n}{4} I got 28 as my answer.

nC2 = 28

so, rewrite this using the formula to convert from nCr into factorials:

n! / (n-2)!2! = 28

then you can sort this out by removing the factorials and you should get a quadratic
I didn't intend to make is equal 1. I thought that nC2 was equal to 28, because that divided by 4 would give the coefficient of x2x^2.

It is
Reply 13
It is

Okay, that makes me feel much better, thank you. But now the problem is, I'm not sure how to get from nC2 = 28 to what n is equal to. I figured it was 8 because 28 is in pascal's triangle under the expansion of (a+b)8(a+b)^8

Oh god, scrap all of that - I just realised how to get from nC2 = 28 to n = 8. Thank you for your help and patience though!! :biggrin:
(edited 11 years ago)
Okay, that makes me feel much better, thank you. But now the problem is, I'm not sure how to get from nC2 = 28 to what n is equal to. I figured it was 8 because 28 is in pascal's triangle under the expansion of (a+b)8(a+b)^8

By using the fact that nC2=n(n1)2!^nC_2 = \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2!}

Oh god, scrap all of that - I just realised what I was doing wrong. Thank you for your help and patience though!! :biggrin:

ok :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by Lunch_Box
nC2 = 28

so, rewrite this using the formula to convert from nCr into factorials:

n! / (n-2)!2! = 28

then you can sort this out by removing the factorials and you should get a quadratic

Thank you SO much, I knew it wasn't as long and as difficult as I though it was - I just forgot about using the nCr to factorial equation *major facepalm*

Much appreciated!! :biggrin:
Reply 17
By using the fact that nC2=n(n1)2!^nC_2 = \dfrac{n(n-1)}{2!}

Haha the answer emerges.. Thanks a bunch again. This has been more informative than 99% of my lessons put together >.<

Quick Reply

Latest