The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1900
Original post by Tommyjw
I've even seen us linked to Ibra today :laugh:

Wow. I know it's completely ridiculous but imagine having that beast in our team.
Original post by qasidb
Wow. I know it's completely ridiculous but imagine having that beast in our team.

Never understood why he never came to the PL, his size and raw strength was made for the Premier League.
Wouldn't Ibra counter the same criticism that Berba had, i.e not fitting into our style of play? Not that him joining will happen of course but the thought came across.

Tomorrow's team - expecting Evans to return possibly alongside Rio? Vidic might be rested after coming through two consecutive games. Giggs isn't playing so Kagawa, Rooney and Hernandez to come in.
Not with ibras consistency. Problem is that he's best when the team is around him but he can still do a decent job with the team around RVP.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rohitbd
Ronaldo rumours are still ongoing, too be honest as much as I'd love to see him back the transfers of Zaha and Nani's new contract push will surely mean that they will become surplus to our needs if Ronaldo comes, however Nani is being linked constantly with Juve, wouldn't want him to leave but if we could get an exchange for Vidal then I would be so happy for me Vidal could take our midfield to the next level and take on Toure man for man, I love the guys work rate, should be highest priority after Ronaldo for me but who knows what SAF is thinking.

Won't happen, but Vidal would be great. Him and cleverley/Carrick would be a boss pair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by jam277
Not with ibras consistency. Problem is that he's best when the team is around him but he can still do a decent job with the team around RVP.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Tbh Ibra is better than RVP, he's just a trouble-causer and inconsistent, but on his day (e.g. against England in the friendly) he's one of the best in the world.
Ibra couldn't handle with Messi being the star of Barcelona, I can't imagine he'd be happy to play a secondary role for anyone else anymore. Even though Messi and RVP are different players and one might say Messi is another level to RVP but like I said, Ibra likes to be THE man.
Reply 1907
Ibra is not going to happen, only him or RVP could play and I'd prefer RVP to him, not that RVP is better I'd just put them in that 3rd best player in world group with Falcao, Iniesta & others plus RVP suits our ethos better.

Anyone hoping SAF might try and buy Bale this summer, Bale has always admired Giggs and I'm sure he would love to learn from him let alone his wish to emulate CR7, though at the same time it would seem a little harsh if he left spurs if they get CL plus the competition from Real and levy's asking price.

By the way Nick Powell scored for the U-21 against West Ham recently, the guy has been doing quite well recently, excited for his future, it'll be interesting to see all these young talented englishmen play for the country, players such as Jones, Smalling, Zaha, Cleverly, Powell and Welbeck show excellent promise for England in the future.
In all honesty we all love the idea of Ronaldo returning but the money it would cost to get him back is basically the same as Bale. 23 year old or 28 year old? I think Zaha has probably killed the chances of another winger arriving tbh. Looking at how quickly Bale rose, Zaha could do the similarly.
Have Kagawa and Hernandez played together much/at all yet?
A relaxed Giggsy gives an interview to Gary Neville. Great insight into how he does his day to day things and would have liked Gary to ask him if he did give Ronaldo his 1,000th shirt signed by the squad.
Reply 1911
In case some of you missed it, there's a match discussion thread for today's game, so please take all discussion specifically about that match before and during the game there. :h:
Reply 1912
It's starting to blow my mind how much positive selection there is when it comes to commenting on Giggs' performances. He is never criticised. Against RM I counted him give the ball away 5 times in the opening 20 minutes. Nothing. But every time he does something good, pundits rave about it.

If you put a young player in for Giggs and he gave the exact same performances he would not get near the team, IMO.
Reply 1913
Original post by Aky786UK
A relaxed Giggsy gives an interview to Gary Neville. Great insight into how he does his day to day things and would have liked Gary to ask him if he did give Ronaldo his 1,000th shirt signed by the squad.

Look at how well Giggs keeps himself, Rooney should take note, I love Rooney but lets be honest he doesn't take much care of himself he came into this season looking unfit, let alone the amount he could be drinking and smoking, while its ok in your early 20s its definitely not good enough at this age if he wants to play at this level for another 4 years and stay injury free, if you look into it Rooney should be at his physical peak right now at 27 like Ronaldo but to me he looked in much better shape in 2010 and was invaluable to the team, imagine leaving Rooney out of the game Bayern game in 2010 and how distraught we were when he was left out against Chelsea which lost us the title and Rooney of today just doesn't have the same impact on games that he use to, I actually think Fergie is looking into this because while there are the RVP/Giggs/Scholes, there are also those that didn't go along those lines such as "brazillian" Ronaldo (as he likes to be called), plus Fergie doesn't forget and has all the data on Rooney's physical abilities (presumedly from test in the gyms) and wouldn't mind letting him go if a suitable replacement is available, because paying 230k a week for Rooney at 32 could be costly. Someone such as Falcao/Bale and obviously Ronaldo who all could be available this summer could replace Rooney for us and improve us in the long run.

Ahhhhh memories, so many have fallen. Some of the articles posted in the aftermath make for interesting reading - "SAF says he'll retire within 3 years", ha.

Great stuff. Good to read that he's aware of his Gary-Neville-v-West-Brom moments, will hopefully know when to retire.
Original post by Budgie
It's starting to blow my mind how much positive selection there is when it comes to commenting on Giggs' performances. He is never criticised. Against RM I counted him give the ball away 5 times in the opening 20 minutes. Nothing. But every time he does something good, pundits rave about it.

5 times in 20 minutes for a player who was given a lot of the creative responsibility because Welbeck isn't that player?

Well.. best never play him again then :laugh:

For the record. Giggs made the most passes out of our team and did so with 81% pass accuracy, whilst also providing the most key passes in the team. He did fine.
No direct goals or assists, but another video of a Zaha game

Showing off his fantastic strength, pace and skill again. He doesn't do unnecessary skill anywhere near as much as Ronaldo did either (not comparing ability, just how pointless and frustrating it may be)

And he's doing this well whilst having 2 or 3 players mark him all the time. Be interesting to ee how he does for us when .. well.. he is probably the least of their worries.
It's difficult to decipher where Roy Keane's comments are tinged with his anger the way he left us. Now he says we responded badly after the sending off, implying that we maybe should have gone for all out defend.
Reply 1918
It's difficult to decipher where Roy Keane's comments are tinged with his anger the way he left us. Now he says we responded badly after the sending off, implying that we maybe should have gone for all out defend.

He was correct in that it should have been a sending off judging by European competition and foreign ref standards. And United didn't need to go all out defend but they did need to collect and compose themselves. I think if United had held out for 10 minutes they would have won that game pretty comfortably even with 10 men.
As much as I hate him Suarez is quality.....

Latest