The Student Room Group

How to prepare for GCSE French Speaking?

Hi,
ive got a French speaking on Monday, does anyone have any tips on how to learn it off by heart??

Scroll to see replies

Basically, take it one or two sentences at a time.
Usually, i left mine till last minute and had to spend the whole of the night before trying to memorize it.
I managed to get an A though.
Once you've remembered those, move on to the next ones.
And sit in a quiet place too and read aloud.
Reply 2
What I used to do for my GCSE languages was to write out the work on a piece of paper sentence by sentence and having a line in between the sentences so they're easily noticeable. We were allowed a prompt sheet and I would write the first word of each sentence on it so I could remember the order of the sentences. Take it sentence by sentence and it should work :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Amanbabbar./
Usually, i left mine till last minute and had to spend the whole of the night before trying to memorize it.

Original post by Prees
What I used to do for my GCSE languages was to write out the work on a piece of paper sentence by sentence and having a line in between the sentences so they're easily noticeable. We were allowed a prompt sheet and I would write the first word of each sentence on it so I could remember the order of the sentences. Take it sentence by sentence and it should work :smile:

hi thank you both!! so basically i just have to learn it?
yeah we have a 40 words sheet as well...
thanks again, i should have started learning it before!!
Reply 4
Original post by sweet_gyal97
hi thank you both!! so basically i just have to learn it?
yeah we have a 40 words sheet as well...
thanks again, i should have started learning it before!!

Have you already written the words on it? My class just used to write random words on it and they wouldn't do as well so I do suggest putting the first word of each sentence on it. Just to help jog your memory whilst in there :smile:
You still have plenty of time, I always learnt mine the night before and got A*A*A in my languages.
Reply 5
Original post by Prees
Have you already written the words on it? My class just used to write random words on it and they wouldn't do as well so I do suggest putting the first word of each sentence on it. Just to help jog your memory whilst in there :smile:
You still have plenty of time, I always learnt mine the night before and got A*A*A in my languages.

no i havent written on it yet...thanks for the advice..yeah i was thinking of doing that, its just that ive written soo much!!
really?? are those grades separate GCSEs?? thats really good!! :cool:
The skill of improvising is not essential at GCSE level however I would strongly advise you to do what I did - make a cue card with only drawings on it. I split mine into 6 rows (6 questions) and 4 columns. E.g. for la famille - I draw an eye and long curly hair to remember to talk about my mum. For les vacances I drew a flag of Italy and a female stick man - I talked about how my sister didn't enjoy it.
The conversation shouldn't seem like you had robotically talked about what you prepared. Take into account the fact that you also have a surprise question.
The only thing I did - practiced saying it to my mum who doesnt know any French and also my friends.
I got an A and another A at AS level where you can only prepare 1.5 minutes of pre-learned conversation :smile:

Good luck and try not to be nervous :smile::smile: x
Reply 7
Original post by MissPatricia
The skill of improvising is not essential at GCSE level however I would strongly advise you to do what I did - make a cue card with only drawings on it. I split mine into 6 rows (6 questions) and 4 columns. E.g. for la famille - I draw an eye and long curly hair to remember to talk about my mum. For les vacances I drew a flag of Italy and a female stick man - I talked about how my sister didn't enjoy it.
The conversation shouldn't seem like you had robotically talked about what you prepared. Take into account the fact that you also have a surprise question.
The only thing I did - practiced saying it to my mum who doesnt know any French and also my friends.
I got an A and another A at AS level where you can only prepare 1.5 minutes of pre-learned conversation :smile:

Good luck and try not to be nervous :smile::smile: x

hi,
thanks for the advice...i'll try that..
i remember for my FCSE french in year 9, on my preparation, i drew pictures for everything i was going to say, e.g a picture of a fish for poisson and my teacher was really impressed cuz i knew the french words for them from a picture. i wanted to do that this time but i dont think that u can draw that much on the 40 words sheet.
oh yeah i forgot about the surprise question, thanks for reminding me!!

you do A-level french?? how is it compared to GCSE?? i wanted to do french Alevel but i wasnt sure of how hard itll be because i want to get A's and maybe A* (if possible) at A-level......

Thank you!!! ill try but i get nervous a lot!! :smile::smile:
I just remember it in English and translate in my head.

And because it's been written you just remember it anyway.
Good luck :smile: They are really scary but great to get done. Hopefully you've got some good tips by now, but I'll give you mine. I remember the rhythm in my head, so that I just know how it's meant flow. That sounds odd but it helps me. Also, make sure you learn your last paragraph as well as the first. I have a habit of skimming over the last one a stumbling on it.

In my last one I spoke far too fast, and my teacher pointed out how the mark scheme states 'conversation sustained at a reasonable speed'. That does not just refer to too slow, which you'd assume. Make sure you don't gabble it too fast either!! :wink:
Reply 10
no i havent written on it yet...thanks for the advice..yeah i was thinking of doing that, its just that ive written soo much!!
really?? are those grades separate GCSEs?? thats really good!! :cool:

Yes they're separate for German, Spanish and French :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by indigorain
Good luck :smile: They are really scary but great to get done. Hopefully you've got some good tips by now, but I'll give you mine. I remember the rhythm in my head, so that I just know how it's meant flow. That sounds odd but it helps me. Also, make sure you learn your last paragraph as well as the first. I have a habit of skimming over the last one a stumbling on it.

In my last one I spoke far too fast, and my teacher pointed out how the mark scheme states 'conversation sustained at a reasonable speed'. That does not just refer to too slow, which you'd assume. Make sure you don't gabble it too fast either!! :wink:

thanks!!:smile:
LOL, did u have to say it again then?
and i dont think that'll be a problem for me i think i will be too slow!!:rolleyes:
Reply 12
Original post by Prees
Yes they're separate for German, Spanish and French :smile:

wow u know lots of languages!! :eek:
thanks!!:smile:
LOL, did u have to say it again then?
and i dont think that'll be a problem for me i think i will be too slow!!:rolleyes:

It's better to be slow and accurate. At this level it's not essential to sound fluently French, just convey everything clearly and accurately :wink: Hahaha no I didn't do it again, I think I lost a mark or two for the speed thing though. I've got my last one in two weeks! Hope yours goes well, tell us how it went tomorrow! :smile:
Reply 14
It's better to be slow and accurate. At this level it's not essential to sound fluently French, just convey everything clearly and accurately :wink: Hahaha no I didn't do it again, I think I lost a mark or two for the speed thing though. I've got my last one in two weeks! Hope yours goes well, tell us how it went tomorrow! :smile:

haha lol....oh good luck!!
and thanks yeah i'll let you know how it goes..!!! :smile:
hi,
thanks for the advice...i'll try that..
i remember for my FCSE french in year 9, on my preparation, i drew pictures for everything i was going to say, e.g a picture of a fish for poisson and my teacher was really impressed cuz i knew the french words for them from a picture. i wanted to do that this time but i dont think that u can draw that much on the 40 words sheet.
oh yeah i forgot about the surprise question, thanks for reminding me!!

you do A-level french?? how is it compared to GCSE?? i wanted to do french Alevel but i wasnt sure of how hard itll be because i want to get A's and maybe A* (if possible) at A-level......

Thank you!!! ill try but i get nervous a lot!! :smile::smile:

Well there were some people in my class who actually found that cue cards were distracting them and it was easier for them to just remember their answers off the top of their heads. Pick out the most relevant points and draw pictures for sentences which you struggle to remember.
The surprise question; I remember the main ones like how would you spend your pocket money, what is your ideal holiday destination, do you want to get married etc.
There is a big difference between GCSE and GCE level. I went from an A at GCSE to a predicted C in A levels. AS is easy because it's very similar to what you study at GCSE; you do sport, holidays, friends and family. You also do more interesting topics like technology, cinema, fashion, health etc. There is much more grammar involved and even I still make mistakes now. A2 is much harder because you're supposed to read a book in French, talk about a director and his movies and for speaking you have to really think in English what you would say.
But in general I find that doing French is very helpful. Apart from various opportunities to go to France, you can also apply your language skills elsewhere; e.g. I contacted a company and asked if I can do a French internship there. It gave me a chance to translate some basic documents and it looks great on my CV.
Your nerves will show as you're being recorded so just imagine you're having a casual conversation with your teacher and avoid looking at the recorder :redface: x
Reply 16

Hi...
I had my speaking and I think it went quite well. I revised it a lot and was learning it throughout the day. The only thing was that at one point I paused for a long time and was about to laugh and thought that my teacher would restart it but she didn't and the rest went ok. At the end she said that it was really good. But there's one thing that I am worries about is that I did not really have much emotion in my voice...do u think that is okay??

Thanks for all your help!! Xx
Hi...
I had my speaking and I think it went quite well. I revised it a lot and was learning it throughout the day. The only thing was that at one point I paused for a long time and was about to laugh and thought that my teacher would restart it but she didn't and the rest went ok. At the end she said that it was really good. But there's one thing that I am worries about is that I did not really have much emotion in my voice...do u think that is okay??

Thanks for all your help!! Xx

Hope you get an A
:')

and i doubt that will have a massive impact on your grade :smile:
Reply 18
Hope you get an A
:')

and i doubt that will have a massive impact on your grade :smile:

Thanks I'm aiming to get an a* in French hopefully ill be able to!!
Thanks I'm aiming to get an a* in French hopefully ill be able to!!

Goodluck :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending