The Student Room Group

Help!!!!I need to pick my frim and insurance Uni

I am confused as I need to make a decision for my university choices .I have five offers ,I have selected three choices Portsmouth university Meng mechanical engineering entry requirement CCD, Loughborough mechanical engineering with foundation year Entry(BBC),Southampton university mechanical engineering with foundation year Entry(BBB). My predicted grade at the moment are ACD, French,Applied science and Math. I known I am the one to make the decision but your guidance would help me a lot.

Thanks
Reply 1
You don't need to make a decision until May (it should tell you the specific date when you log into UCAS). Make a pros and cons list for each. Research the courses, which would you prefer?
Reply 2
Original post by josephbonkoto
I am confused as I need to make a decision for my university choices .I have five offers ,I have selected three choices Portsmouth university Meng mechanical engineering entry requirement CCD, Loughborough mechanical engineering with foundation year Entry(BBC),Southampton university mechanical engineering with foundation year Entry(BBB). My predicted grade at the moment are ACD, French,Applied science and Math. I known I am the one to make the decision but your guidance would help me a lot.

Thanks

Southampton and Loughborough are really good choices :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Shelly_x
You don't need to make a decision until May (it should tell you the specific date when you log into UCAS). Make a pros and cons list for each. Research the courses, which would you prefer?

Thanks Shelly. The deadline is on the 8/04/13, however I just wanted to hear other people opinon , as I do like all of them equally. I have visited loughborough and southampton and I live in portsmouth .
Suggestion would help a lot
Thanks
Reply 4
Original post by alexkol
Southampton and Loughborough are really good choices :smile:

I know man !!!:smile: Portsmouth is where I live and I will be starting the degree in first year but loughborough and southampton are like foundation year and the grade requirement is quite high compare to portsmouth .
Reply 5
I know man !!!:smile: Portsmouth is where I live and I will be starting the degree in first year but loughborough and southampton are like foundation year and the grade requirement is quite high compare to portsmouth .

Both of those unis have a very good reputation for engineering and would put you in good stead for a career in it. How do the facilities at portsmouth compare to those at the other two? Do you think it would be worth the extra year to go to a 'better' uni? A foundation year will equip you with all the background knowledge you'll need for the engineering degree, which is also something to consider.
Reply 6

Definitely yeah, but I think that Loughborough and Southampton can equip you with better knowledge and they will guarantee you a better career path! Nevertheless, you can do your first year in Portsmouth and then transfer into another Uni, if you are not happy with it :smile:
Reply 7
I'm a year lower (year 12) however looking at what Uni's I could apply for.

Pretty much all Russell Group want A*AA which I may be able to achieve however I'm kinda confused on finding other Uni's that do Meng with a lower offer. Both Surrey and Warwick are AAA however I was wondering does anyone know any uni's that are more like AAB that I could think about as a possible insurance???

Any help/advice would be awesome.
Reply 8
Original post by lbsf1

Pretty much all Russell Group want A*AA which I may be able to achieve however I'm kinda confused on finding other Uni's that do Meng with a lower offer. Both Surrey and Warwick are AAA however I was wondering does anyone know any uni's that are more like AAB that I could think about as a possible insurance???

Well, what you can always do is go into the BEng course of a Uni and transfer to their MEng, by achieving a good grade (usually 50-55%) during your 2nd year :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by alexkol
Well, what you can always do is go into the BEng course of a Uni and transfer to their MEng, by achieving a good grade (usually 50-55%) during your 2nd year :smile:

Someone mentioned this briefly to me before, are the first 2 years of both degree's the same, hence it would just be a straight transfer??

Also do all uni's (that do both courses) allow you to transfer?? and is it a common thing to do or do uni's do it on a case by case basis??

The only reason I'm a bit wary of this is that to go into R&D kinda jobs people have told me that you really need a Meng not a Beng.

Oh, and thanks for your advice :wink:
Reply 10
Original post by lbsf1
Someone mentioned this briefly to me before, are the first 2 years of both degree's the same, hence it would just be a straight transfer??

Also do all uni's (that do both courses) allow you to transfer?? and is it a common thing to do or do uni's do it on a case by case basis??

The only reason I'm a bit wary of this is that to go into R&D kinda jobs people have told me that you really need a Meng not a Beng.

Oh, and thanks for your advice :wink:

Yep all of them do it :smile:
You can send them an email to make sure, but I can't think of a Uni that won't do it :smile:
Well yeah you need MEng and you also need to have a good maths level, so you should chose suitable courses in your 3rd and 4th year!
In the unfortunate case of not being able to procede to the MEng degree, you can always do an MSc, which is equivalent!
Bare in mind that tehy can always kick you out from the MEng degree if you don't get at least 50% I think, so it is kind of similar!
Reply 11
Original post by alexkol
Definitely yeah, but I think that Loughborough and Southampton can equip you with better knowledge and they will guarantee you a better career path! Nevertheless, you can do your first year in Portsmouth and then transfer into another Uni, if you are not happy with it :smile:

Thanks a lot Alex :wink:, I will probably firm loughborough and put portsmouth as my insurance choice as I don't want to go through clearing .Southampton is where I iniatially wanted to go but the grade requirement is quite high and I am not sure I will get it .
Reply 12
Original post by Shelly_x
Both of those unis have a very good reputation for engineering and would put you in good stead for a career in it. How do the facilities at portsmouth compare to those at the other two? Do you think it would be worth the extra year to go to a 'better' uni? A foundation year will equip you with all the background knowledge you'll need for the engineering degree, which is also something to consider.

The lab equipment at Loughborough and southampton were far better than Portsmouth and I generally like the all department for both universities . The problem is that with a foundation year you're not really guaranted a progression into the first year programme but I am willing to put in the work :smile:.
Reply 13
The lab equipment at Loughborough and southampton were far better than Portsmouth and I generally like the all department for both universities . The problem is that with a foundation year you're not really guaranted a progression into the first year programme but I am willing to put in the work :smile:.

What do you mean by not guaranteed? Do you mean you need to get a certain percentage in order to progress? If so, this is pretty standard on foundation years.
Reply 14
Original post by lbsf1

Loughborough, Newcastle, Leeds probably Southampton :smile:.
They can hand out offers of AAB
Reply 15
Original post by bahjat93

For Meng Loughborough and Southampton both want A*AA.
Reply 16
Original post by lbsf1
For Meng Loughborough and Southampton both want A*AA.

apply for BEng and move up to MEng once your there providing ur perfomance in your 2 years of uni is good :tongue:
Reply 17
Original post by bahjat93

Leeds asks for an AAA and all the other ones ask for at least AAA for MEng

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending