The Student Room Group

Is it normal to just not care that much about sex?

Don't get me wrong, I like guys and have urges from time to time, but they aren't strong and it's just really not a big deal. I rarely feel like going to the bother of acting on them. I don't know if I could live without companionship or love, but I'm pretty sure I could happily live without sex the rest of my life.

Sometimes I suspect my lack of sex drive might be down to depression, which I battle with fairly often, but I'm not really sure. Do you think the two are likely linked, or am I am I just naturally not that bothered? I used to have a lot of fantasies and be a lot more into the idea when I was younger, before I had any experience, but now I just don't feel it much at all. :dontknow:

Yeah, any advice? It's not a huge issue, but I'd rather be more into it so it doesn't feel like so much effort every time I do anything with my boyfriend. I feel like I should enjoy that sort of stuff, and while I do eventually, it's hard for me to work up the enthusiasm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by theorangebox
Don't get me wrong, I like guys and have urges from time to time, but they aren't strong and it's just really not a big deal. I rarely feel like going to the bother of acting on them. I don't know if I could live without companionship or love, but I'm pretty sure I could happily live without sex the rest of my life.

Sometimes I suspect my lack of sex drive might be down to depression, which I battle with fairly often, but I'm not really sure. Do you think the two are likely linked, or am I am I just naturally not that bothered? I used to have a lot of fantasies and be a lot more into the idea when I was younger, before I had any experience, but now I just don't feel it much at all. :dontknow:

Yeah, any advice? It's not a huge issue, but I'd rather be more into it so it doesn't feel like so much effort every time I do anything with my boyfriend. I feel like I should enjoy that sort of stuff, and while I do eventually, it's hard for me to work up the enthusiasm.

It can definitely be linked with depression, my boyfriend is never in the mood when he is suffering with it, I think that can often be a big part of the problem. If you sort the depression the sex drive may well come with it. As for suggestions other than that I don't really know I'm afraid :frown:
Reply 2
Original post by redferry
It can definitely be linked with depression, my boyfriend is never in the mood when he is suffering with it, I think that can often be a big part of the problem. If you sort the depression the sex drive may well come with it. As for suggestions other than that I don't really know I'm afraid :frown:

Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I think it might be. I mean I have no fears or issues with sex at all, and I'm definitely attracted to my boyfriend, I just never feel up for it. The rare times I do is usually after something quite good has happened in my life, which would suggest the two are connected.

I'm sorry about you and your boyfriends situation. I hope he can move past it. :frown:
Reply 3
Original post by theorangebox
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I think it might be. I mean I have no fears or issues with sex at all, and I'm definitely attracted to my boyfriend, I just never feel up for it. The rare times I do is usually after something quite good has happened in my life, which would suggest the two are connected.

I'm sorry about you and your boyfriends situation. I hope he can move past it. :frown:

Ah we're all good, he tends to only get it around exams/times of intense stress so we have had a depression free relationship since August which has been wonderful :smile: I hope you can move past it in a similar way!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending