The Student Room Group

Advice on my Future.

Hi, I'm currently studying may a2 year. I am hoping to study medicine but things aren't exactly going well. I'm on for a's in chemistry in maths but am not going to get anywhere near that in biology. I have already decided that I'm taking next year out to retake biology and gain experience to enhance my application.
Just want to know if anyone thinks I have any chance of making it to med school.
Any advice/ opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Leery24
Hi, I'm currently studying may a2 year. I am hoping to study medicine but things aren't exactly going well. I'm on for a's in chemistry in maths but am not going to get anywhere near that in biology. I have already decided that I'm taking next year out to retake biology and gain experience to enhance my application.
Just want to know if anyone thinks I have any chance of making it to med school.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think you need any advice, you seem to have it all figured out :P.
You could perhaps pick up another A-level in your gap year :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by bahjat93
I don't think you need any advice, you seem to have it all figured out :P.
You could perhaps pick up another A-level in your gap year :smile:

Hi, do you think this will help as I've been advices by my school that a fourth a level isn't really taken into account by universities. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
What are your modular + overall grades like for Bio?
Original post by Leery24

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's going to really limit what unis you can apply to, a lot simply won't accept you if you use a third year to resit any A levels, especially without extenuating circumstances. Have a look at this page.
Original post by Leery24

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you looked into applying to a Scottish medical school? I've heard they're easier to get in?
What are you predicted for biology?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
Reply 6
Original post by Potally_Tissed
That's going to really limit what unis you can apply to, a lot simply won't accept you if you use a third year to resit any A levels, especially without extenuating circumstances. Have a look at this page.

Hi I've seen this sort of thing and am not really sure if it would apply or not. I'm currently in the mindset of thinking I have no chance so am kind of struggling.
I think wrong choice of sixth form college and not realising this soon enough has screwed me over.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Officegirl4
Have you looked into applying to a Scottish medical school? I've heard they're easier to get in?
What are you predicted for biology?

I am predicted a C but I'm only just into the E grade at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by jess_m94
What are your modular + overall grades like for Bio?

Unit 1 c
Unit 2 u
Unit 3 u
Unit 4 d
Finally got a better teacher but can't help but feel without all the as knowledge I'm really struggling to catch up.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Leery24
Unit 1 c
Unit 2 u
Unit 3 u
Unit 4 d
Finally got a better teacher but can't help but feel without all the as knowledge I'm really struggling to catch up.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Did you not do any resits then?

If it was just one bad modular result then i would said to just resit that module, but it seems like you are really struggling with the whole subject :frown: Do you think you would be able to cope with doing all 4 modules in the summer? I know it's probably not feasible, but normally taking 3 years to complete a levels counts you out of a lot universities. What did you get for bio gcse??
Reply 10
Original post by jess_m94
Did you not do any resits then?

If it was just one bad modular result then i would said to just resit that module, but it seems like you are really struggling with the whole subject :frown: Do you think you would be able to cope with doing all 4 modules in the summer? I know it's probably not feasible, but normally taking 3 years to complete a levels counts you out of a lot universities. What did you get for bio gcse??

Just a B.
It's all starting to feel just a tad hopeless now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
Original post by Leery24
Just a B.
It's all starting to feel just a tad hopeless now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

May I ask why you didn't carry on your 4th AS level instead after getting so low in biology?
Reply 12
Because I had exactly the same teacher who let me down in biology for physics.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
And don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the fact that's did really badly on my teacher.
Just can't help feeling a bit bitter about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leery24
And don't get me wrong I'm not blaming the fact that's did really badly on my teacher.
Just can't help feeling a bit bitter about it all.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Have you though biomed or something? then post grad?

Reply 15
Have you though biomed or something? then post grad?

That's the way I'm heading now in my head.
Just a bit shocked no one at my college advised me on the fact that universities don't accept candidates refitting the year.
Seems like a waste of a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Leery24
That's the way I'm heading now in my head.
Just a bit shocked no one at my college advised me on the fact that universities don't accept candidates refitting the year.
Seems like a waste of a year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Colleges are usually like that :/ Thats why I prefer Sixth form.

That's a negative, captain. Scottish medical schools are no easier to get into than any other med school in the UK.
Reply 18
Original post by Leery24
Hi, do you think this will help as I've been advices by my school that a fourth a level isn't really taken into account by universities. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

It should help, it'll show the universities that you can motivate yourself to study :smile:.
Unis love self motivation!
Reply 19
Original post by Leery24

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got a U in biology and I made it! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending