The Student Room Group

Current year 11's - do you know what uni course you want to study?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Meghna96
Haha Thanks :colondollar:
I knoow that's why i'm iffy about the medicine, I'm not sure if I can rise above the competition!

Yeah:/ your school should advise you & once you've got your GCSEs you'll know more for certain. Tbh any medicine course at any uni is respectable!! :smile:
Original post by alice_c_97
Wow awesome! :smile: so jealous of your work experience! Can't wait til I'm 16 so I can do some hospital shadowing! Hurry up August-.- Good luck!

Yeah I can't wait till I'm 16 in June! :smile: My first work experience starts a week after my birthday :smile: so you want to do medicine too? any idea what specialty?
Predicted GCSE grades: 2 A*'s 7 A's and 2 B's and a C

A-levels you plan on taking: Physics, Maths, History and Economics

University plans (if any) : To study Economics, hopefully.

Which university: Cambridge or UCL. Have my heart set on going to either of those.

Work experience: Chemical Engineering for a week at Tate and Lyle (Sugar factory). Also a week in the finance department at Tate and Lyle.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 63
I find I think about the future quite a bit at the moment, I'd rather be bothered and confused about career paths and options now at 16, than in the future when I have mouths to feed and bills to pay etc, at least that's the way I see it ^_^

predicted GCSE grades: 9A*s 4Asachieved: Maths & English Language at A*.
A-levels you plan on taking: Chemistry, Maths, History & English Literature

University plans (if any) : History at Oxford (dreams, dreams), Ancient History at Nottingham, and wherever else my research takes me. Subsequent to finishing my degree, I'll go the law conversion course (GDL). I'm not too keen to stay in London, as I live here and want to experience new environment's etc. Also, American "colleges" are an option, but if I do go there I'll probably study Law.

Which university: Oxford, Nottingham, UCL, and yeah ^_^

Work experience: Applying for law firms atm, and I worked for two weeks in a renown liver department in a hospital, not that it's relevant for me, but it was amazing nonetheless and had me considering medicine. I volunteer in a Charity shop, and work part-time too!
(edited 11 years ago)
law is such a risky career, its so hard to get a training contract after your degree, and apparently you need all a's/a*'s at a level
Reply 65
predicted GCSE grades: 11 A*/A's
A-levels you plan on taking:
Chemistry, Biology, Maths and Business Studies ( + EPQ)
University plans (if any) :
Pharmacy
Which university:
UCL, Kings College, Nottingham, Birmingham or Queen's
Work experience:
Currently working at my Aunt's pharmacy
Predicted grades: 10 A/A*

University plans: Medicine

A leves to be taken: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Literature

Work experience already completed/completing

- Physics/Chemistry Tutor
- Peer Tutor
- Volunteering in Elderly Home
- Charity Shop
- SEN in Primary school

Work experience to come (already planned):

-a month shadowing in hospital in West Africa (Summer 2013)
- Orphanage - Tanzania (Summer 2014)
- Dentist (Easter 2014)

And little bits and bobs over my half-term breaks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Hey! Haha, aww thank you for your reply! :smile: The point scoring system is a good idea, do you know of anywhere else that use that system by any chance? I've heard Cardiff do a similar thing with GCSEs but I'm not entirely sure. That makes sense:smile: I've already done some months volunteering at a care home and learnt so much, just got to remember to include it in my ps! That's a really good point! I'll definitely remember that. Yeah I hope the numbers will settle down, I'm still considering nursing/pharmacy so i might even change my mind!
Thanks so much :smile:

Hey :smile:

Not sure of anywhere else that does, but I think only Birmingham asks for 8 A*, the rest (excluding oxbridge) aren't that high. I think most ask for a minimum of so many As or say something like As in science/english/maths. You could look at the ucas website. the 5 year medicine course code is A100. All of their entry requirements are on there :smile: Just be aware they may change!

When it comes to writing your ps, make a list of everything you want to put in it first! Saves so much time! They will! I was the ony one at my secondary school, but then had to change schools for sixth form and there were about 15 of us out of 200. In the end only 2 of us applied. Unfortunately, the other guy got in an I didn't, so I'm going for 2015 GEM :smile:... same year as you lot :O

You've still got plenty of time to decide :smile: Just be aware that a favourite interview question for medicine tends to be 'why a doctor and not a nurse!'

Good luck in your GCSEs :smile:
Reply 68
Wow that's amazing! Good luck!!

Thanks, Good luck to you aswell!!!:biggrin::biggrin:
Reply 69
Original post by lilixxx1000
Yeah I can't wait till I'm 16 in June! :smile: My first work experience starts a week after my birthday :smile: so you want to do medicine too? any idea what specialty?

Ah have fun! yep or nursing, not sure which yet leaning towards medicine though. I'd really love to work in either paediatrics (children), gerontology (elderly) or maybe as a Neurologist. What about you? :smile:
Reply 70
Original post by OneDayDoctor
Hey :smile:

Not sure of anywhere else that does, but I think only Birmingham asks for 8 A*, the rest (excluding oxbridge) aren't that high. I think most ask for a minimum of so many As or say something like As in science/english/maths. You could look at the ucas website. the 5 year medicine course code is A100. All of their entry requirements are on there :smile: Just be aware they may change!

When it comes to writing your ps, make a list of everything you want to put in it first! Saves so much time! They will! I was the ony one at my secondary school, but then had to change schools for sixth form and there were about 15 of us out of 200. In the end only 2 of us applied. Unfortunately, the other guy got in an I didn't, so I'm going for 2015 GEM :smile:... same year as you lot :O

You've still got plenty of time to decide :smile: Just be aware that a favourite interview question for medicine tends to be 'why a doctor and not a nurse!'

Good luck in your GCSEs :smile:

Aww thanks for this! :smile: Birmingham/Bristol would probably be me top choices (if I get the grades!) because I know the courses there are highly regarded, but in all honesty aren't nearly all medicine courses!?:P Thanks I've already looked a bit but I'll have another proper look tonight. I'll definitely use that tip, sounds useful! aww unlucky, I know that it's something like 60% of applicants get 4 rejections:/ what's GEM?:L hope you get in!! Yep over a year before applying (Thank god!) ah that's a tough question, especially when I'm considering both!!

Thank you!! :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by PINKFLEUR
Predicted grades: 10 A/A*

University plans: Medicine

A leves to be taken: Chemistry, Biology, Physics and English Literature

Work experience already completed/completing

- Physics/Chemistry Tutor
- Peer Tutor
- Volunteering in Elderly Home
- Charity Shop
- SEN in Primary school

Work experience to come (already planned):

-a month shadowing in hospital in West Africa (Summer 2013)
- Orphanage - Tanzania (Summer 2014)
- Dentist (Easter 2014)

And little bits and bobs over my half-term breaks.

Wow your grades&work experience sound amazing!! Good luck! (even if you are my competition for medicine! :P )
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB
Have English Language at A, A* in Maths and A* in Media Studies already.
Planning to go into law. Not sure what Uni yet. Probably not Oxford or Cambridge, but a top ten one.
A Levels I will take are English Lit, History, Maths and probably French.
No work experience >_<
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by H_Aple
Predicted Grades: A*A*A*A*A*A*A*A*AAB
Planning to go into law
A Levels I will take are English Lit, History, Maths and probably French
No work experience >_<

Yay, you're picking French ay :biggrin:
My predicted GCSE grades are A's and A*s and I'm going to do A-Levels in Biology, Chemistry, Law and a BTEC Level 3 in Forensic Science alongside. I hope to study a joint course at Keele where I major in Forensic Science and minor in Biochemistry, or go to Kent to study Forensic Chemistry. I don't have any work experience relevant to my future career aspirations as a forensic scientist, as it's very hard to get experience in a lab, but I'm currently doing volunteer work in my local library, working towards my V Award, as any kind of experience is good to put down on your CV :-)
Reply 75
Predicted GCSE grades: 9A* 4As
A-levels you plan on taking: Chemistry, Biology, Maths, Physics
University plans (if any) : Chemical Engineering
Which university: Imperial, UCL, Cambridge
Work experience: I have applied for summer work experience (waiting to hear back)
Wow your grades&work experience sound amazing!! Good luck! (even if you are my competition for medicine! :P )

Haah, thanks I guess.

If you don't mind me asking, what are your predicted grades? ( I sort of skimmed through all the posts) :tongue:
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Yay, you're picking French ay :biggrin:

Haha, well my family and careers advisor recommends it also, and I enjoy the subject, so yeah probably :P
Original post by H_Aple
Haha, well my family and careers advisor recommends it also, and I enjoy the subject, so yeah probably :P

Yes! You won't regret it :biggrin: I told you French >>> Classics :mmm:
Ah have fun! yep or nursing, not sure which yet leaning towards medicine though. I'd really love to work in either paediatrics (children), gerontology (elderly) or maybe as a Neurologist. What about you? :smile:

I'm really interested in paediatrics as well! I think it would be amazing to work with kids! :smile: otherwise i'm thinking about sports medicine or psychiatry maybe...

Quick Reply

Latest