The Student Room Group

When you see an everyday object and recognise it.

When you see an everyday object in the real world and recognise it, what goes through your mind at the point of recognition?

a) Do you just see the object and just know what it is at the point of recognition with your mind largely blank?
b) Do you have thoughts of the object in your head at the point of recognition?, images in your head of the object at the point of recognition etc
c) Do you think the name of the object at the point of recognition?
Reply 1
BUMP :tongue:
How many threads on this subject have you already done?
Reply 3
Original post by super_kawaii
How many threads on this subject have you already done?

This one is slightly different. The others were about if someone asked you to tell them what that thing was over there. This one is about if someone DOESN'T ask you.
Original post by advice_guru
This one is slightly different. The others were about if someone asked you to tell them what that thing was over there. This one is about if someone DOESN'T ask you.

Nothing, unless I'm actively looking for said item, in which case I'll recognise the item in English, because English is my native language
Reply 5
Nothing, unless I'm actively looking for said item, in which case I'll recognise the item in English, because English is my native language

So that means when you look at objects in the world around you, your mind is essentially blank.
So that means when you look at objects in the world around you, your mind is essentially blank.

I obviously see the objects, but the names of all the objects don't go through my mind at all. I often think more about uni work, what I'm going to be doing over the holidays, how I really need to tidy my room. The only time I ever see words is when someone's speaking-in that case I can see what they're saying as subtitles because I have this condition called Synaesthesia.
Reply 7
I obviously see the objects, but the names of all the objects don't go through my mind at all. I often think more about uni work, what I'm going to be doing over the holidays, how I really need to tidy my room. The only time I ever see words is when someone's speaking-in that case I can see what they're saying as subtitles because I have this condition called Synaesthesia.

The only time I ever see words is when someone's speaking-in that case I can see what they're saying as subtitles because I have this condition called Synaesthesia.

Subtitles in your mind or actually in your vision? That seems interesting, never knew something like that existed.
The only time I ever see words is when someone's speaking-in that case I can see what they're saying as subtitles because I have this condition called Synaesthesia.

Subtitles in your mind or actually in your vision? That seems interesting, never knew something like that existed.

It's hard to describe really-I don't actually see them like I can see my laptop in front of me now, they're more at the back of my eye. I guess you'd say they're in my mind's eye really.

I admit it is quite a rare condition-all of my friends think it's really weird. It's so annoying though! I really wish I could get rid of it, even though the thought of not having 'subtitles' does scare me
Reply 9
It's hard to describe really-I don't actually see them like I can see my laptop in front of me now, they're more at the back of my eye. I guess you'd say they're in my mind's eye really.

I admit it is quite a rare condition-all of my friends think it's really weird. It's so annoying though! I really wish I could get rid of it, even though the thought of not having 'subtitles' does scare me

Wow, is this only for numbers or letters as well? And when did you realise something was different? Cos if no one tells you, you assume its the same for everyone.
Wow, is this only for numbers or letters as well? And when did you realise something was different? Cos if no one tells you, you assume its the same for everyone.

I can see everything in my mind's eye. Colour recognition's for both letters and numbers. I first really noticed it towards the end of primary school when I realised Wednesday was definitely a dark green, kind of like a Christmas tree colour. Then, when I started secondary school, me and my friend who also has Synaesthesia argued all the time about the colours of letters, numbers and words. That's what made me realise I had something not normal so I started researching it. I can't imagine being any other way though, I do find it completely normal :smile:
Reply 11

So that means effectively you just see the objects and have an understanding of them without names or images of the object appearing in your head.
Correct?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 12

I obviously see the objects, but the names of all the objects don't go through my mind at all

So what does go through your mind when you see and recognise an object?
Reply 13

So what does go through your mind when you see the objects.
Reply 14
I obviously see the objects, but the names of all the objects don't go through my mind at all.

So nothing goes through your mind, you effectively just see it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending