The Student Room Group

Things to bring to uni :)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by jadeannalis
I'm going in September and aside from clothes, I am completely packed.
Am I a majority or a minority?

I like to be planned and prepared.

are you being serious? :O

Definitely the minority. I wasn't going to start packing and planning until I get my summer exam results
I love how fancy dress costume is the second thing on your list :biggrin: priorities sorted out right there!
Original post by PeanutButter2000
I love how fancy dress costume is the second thing on your list :biggrin: priorities sorted out right there!

of course :biggrin:
Original post by beansontoast93
I like the north east :smile: it seems like an interesting place :smile: also, I want to get as far away from London whilst still being in England or Wales. London is great every now and then, but after a while you get used to it and it can get a bit too busy and stressful. And they where one of the few uni's that offered the course I wanted to do, that would also provide me with accommodation in halls.
What's Sunderland like as a city? Do you enjoy living there :redface: I've heard the people are really friendly and there's a lot for students to do there and in Newcastle :smile: And have you been to Hartlepool before? I'll be having some of my lectures at a sixth form there, and I can't find much information on it.

I can imagine London being awfully busy and stressful. Life in the North is pretty relaxed and the majority of people are friendly. I've enjoyed living here in many ways yes, it's quite good growing up here where food is cheap and bus travel is cheap in comparison to the South. Sunderland is good as a city. Generally a very clean city, it has a large cinema, bowling alley, a lot of restaurants - a really fancy Indian buffet has just opened, the shopping centre is forever changing and expanding of recent but the range of shops are still a bit drab in comparison to Newcastle's shops. There is a big interchange with direct bus routes to Durham - 20 and 20A bus about 45 mins from the city centre via bus and a very nice trip might I add (don't go Durham with the desire to shop as there's a bare minimum of shops) and Newcastle which takes a bit over an hour but I'd much rather take the Metro train to Newcastle which about 20 mins. There are direct bus routes to Hartlepool too (X35 bus if I remember correctly as it goes past my college). Hartlepool is lovely and not very far from Sunderland, I have family there but I rarely go to the city centre. I hope you'll enjoy your time in Sunderland!

No idea, I just remember packing in September :P
Original post by emilypsychology
I can imagine London being awfully busy and stressful. Life in the North is pretty relaxed and the majority of people are friendly. I've enjoyed living here in many ways yes, it's quite good growing up here where food is cheap and bus travel is cheap in comparison to the South. Sunderland is good as a city. Generally a very clean city, it has a large cinema, bowling alley, a lot of restaurants - a really fancy Indian buffet has just opened, the shopping centre is forever changing and expanding of recent but the range of shops are still a bit drab in comparison to Newcastle's shops. There is a big interchange with direct bus routes to Durham - 20 and 20A bus about 45 mins from the city centre via bus and a very nice trip might I add (don't go Durham with the desire to shop as there's a bare minimum of shops) and Newcastle which takes a bit over an hour but I'd much rather take the Metro train to Newcastle which about 20 mins. There are direct bus routes to Hartlepool too (X35 bus if I remember correctly as it goes past my college). Hartlepool is lovely and not very far from Sunderland, I have family there but I rarely go to the city centre. I hope you'll enjoy your time in Sunderland!

Thanks a lot for all the information, it was very helpful :smile: Glad to hear Sunderland is more laid back than London. It sounds like a really nice city, as does Hartlepool :smile: and yep, I'm sure I'll enjoy it there (:
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 28
I'll be studying a law foundation degree :smile: what will you be studying? :smile:

Advertising and Design hopefully :smile: I like all the scholarships sunderland has to offer and how newcastle is only round the corner! I'm not too sure what the city is actually like though, do you know? :tongue:

Oh ignore that sorry i've just spotted Emily's post! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Thanks a lot for all the information, it was very helpful :smile: Glad to hear Sunderland is more laid back than London. It sounds like a really nice city, as does Hartlepool :smile: and yep, I'm sure I'll enjoy it there (:

If there's anything I can help you with in regards to Sunderland at any point don't hesitate to ask (I would hate for people to arrive for uni here and be unsure about things regarding the city) :smile: Also - it's never to early to start packing. I haven't started packing but I'm starting to buy new clothes every now and again and putting some to the side not to wear until I begin university :smile: Even if you did forget to bring something all Sunderland accommodation is within close proximity to the centre so you could buy things there!
Original post by i am god ovbz
Definitely the minority. I wasn't going to start packing and planning until I get my summer exam results

Oh well. I finished sixth form last May. Got offers in Early January and was packed by end of Febuary. I guess I have a slight advantage as I have unconditional place at uni so I can properly prepare, whereas others that have applied straight out of college or sixth are waiting around for results day etc.

You could say I was excited for uni :smile:
Anyone got any advice as to what the most important things are to bring to uni? :smile: I'm scared I'll forget lots of things, or that I'll end up bringing things I won't need. I'll be moving all the way from London to Sunderland if I meet the terms of my offer, so I'm a bit worried I won't be able to bring enough.
This is all I could think of:

-Clothes
-Fancy dress costumes
-Cutlery
-Toiletries (toothbrush, shampoo & conditioner, toothpaste, showegel, scrub, moisturizer, deodorant and perfume)
-make up
-hair dryer & straighteners
-lots of undergarments, such as bras and underwear
-socks
-slippers
-decent amount of shoes
-hair clips and combs/brushes
-jewellery
-camera
-some photos
-blue tack
-laptop
-dresses for nights out
-books
-posters
-dvd's
-nail varnish/nail varnish remover
-watch
-headphones
-face paints for themed nights out
-saucepans and pots, and plates and cups

anything I've missed out? add anything you'll be bringing to uni :smile:

Bring a bottle of booze-that'll always go down well during the drunken bonding that is freshers week! Everyone in my flat brought a couple of bottles each and we had loads of fun bonding while making fish bowls and doing shots :smile:
I'll be keeping an eye on this thread!

Going to be moving from the Netherlands so it'll be good to know what sort of things to bring :smile:
Original post by leelola
Advertising and Design hopefully :smile: I like all the scholarships sunderland has to offer and how newcastle is only round the corner! I'm not too sure what the city is actually like though, do you know? :tongue:

Oh ignore that sorry i've just spotted Emily's post! :smile:

oh cool :smile: do you know which accommodation you'll be staying in? I still haven't firmed Sunderland, though I'm certain I will, I'm just going to take a look around at the college in Hartlepool where I'll have some of my lectures at the end of the month, and as soon as I've done that, I'll firm it :redface:
And yeah, I'm really excited about the prospect of living so close to Newcastle (:
I was thinking about applying for Scottia Quay or The Forge :smile: How about you :smile:
Original post by emilypsychology
If there's anything I can help you with in regards to Sunderland at any point don't hesitate to ask (I would hate for people to arrive for uni here and be unsure about things regarding the city) :smile: Also - it's never to early to start packing. I haven't started packing but I'm starting to buy new clothes every now and again and putting some to the side not to wear until I begin university :smile: Even if you did forget to bring something all Sunderland accommodation is within close proximity to the centre so you could buy things there!

thanks, that's very nice of you :smile: are you also going to Sunderland? (: And yeah, that's one of the other benefits of Sunderland, it's not too busy, but it's still a city so I can just pop round to the shop if I've forgotten anything :smile:

LOL are you actually kidding, everyone I know packed the night before they moved, that's standard no?
Oh well. I finished sixth form last May. Got offers in Early January and was packed by end of Febuary. I guess I have a slight advantage as I have unconditional place at uni so I can properly prepare, whereas others that have applied straight out of college or sixth are waiting around for results day etc.

You could say I was excited for uni :smile:

You've got an unconditional offer, so I see nothing strange about you preparing now :smile: it's only like 6 months away, and there's actually quite a lot to bring, so there's no harm in planning in advance and making sure you have bought the things you'll need. I can't imagine leaving it until the last week to get everything, that would be really stressful! :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by hermitthefrog
LOL are you actually kidding, everyone I know packed the night before they moved, that's standard no?

For clothing and certain last minute things thats exactly what I'll be doing too. But for the next six months, til I move, I have no worries about packing as its already been done. I'd hate to be packing absolutely everything last minute, espcially out-going costs. Who would chose to spend a huge lump sum on items that they could have shared over several months beforehand?
Original post by super_kawaii
Bring a bottle of booze-that'll always go down well during the drunken bonding that is freshers week! Everyone in my flat brought a couple of bottles each and we had loads of fun bonding while making fish bowls and doing shots :smile:

thanks, I'll definetly be doing that then :tongue:
Reply 39
oh cool :smile: do you know which accommodation you'll be staying in? I still haven't firmed Sunderland, though I'm certain I will, I'm just going to take a look around at the college in Hartlepool where I'll have some of my lectures at the end of the month, and as soon as I've done that, I'll firm it :redface:
And yeah, I'm really excited about the prospect of living so close to Newcastle (:
I was thinking about applying for Scottia Quay or The Forge :smile: How about you :smile:

I haven't had all my interviews yet so can't firm at the moment :tongue: the forge looks really nice! I'm not that bothered where I go along as its social and liveable, Clanny house looks like a typical uni accommodation, once I've made it my firm I will go visit them :tongue: have you been to visit any? :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest