The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Foe the last three years, every time we go ahead in the first 20 minutes we just loose all composure and make silly mistakes! Sometimes every time I see united lead first in first 10-20 minutes I know that the other team will come back-especially with bigger teams.

I really think its the Manager major responsibility (and of course the players too) to tell the players to play like normal and don't make silly mistakes. Sir Alex just sits down, when we concede then he comes out, then we have to play catch-up. Those managers at the touch line are always urging their team on etc. I know Sir Alex is old and cant be standing for too long, but he needs to incorporate going to touch line every 10 minutes to put players on point.
Reply 1941
De Gea's Best moments.

Spoiler

Mata must hate De Gea
Original post by doggyfizzel
What on earth does the league have to do with an FA cup game? There are 9 games left in the league, and Man City required United to lose 4 of them and not drop any points themselves, and get ahead on GD. They still have Everton, Newcastle, United, West Brom, Tottenham, and Swansea. They aren't mathematically out of it, but it is going to take a meltdown by United and a unblemished run by City. It certainly going to take more than 1 result in a different competition before people start worrying.

Lose 2, draw 3. I definitely think there's a couple of defeats in there. Last year they made up 8 points in 5 games.

We've never really looked that convincing in the league either I don't think. We're the best at scrapping and holding onto a win and accumulating the most points, doesn't really work in cups.
Definitely (yet another) save of the season contender from De Gea
Original post by MEPLUS-->YOU
Foe the last three years, every time we go ahead in the first 20 minutes we just loose all composure and make silly mistakes! Sometimes every time I see united lead first in first 10-20 minutes I know that the other team will come back-especially with bigger teams.

Against big teams yes, however the amount of 1-0's I've seen you do where you score in the first 10 mins is ridiculous. Remember swansea away last season.
That Carrick pass.
Original post by andypandy11
Lose 2, draw 3. I definitely think there's a couple of defeats in there. Last year they made up 8 points in 5 games.

We've never really looked that convincing in the league either I don't think. We're the best at scrapping and holding onto a win and accumulating the most points, doesn't really work in cups.
And you can't see a couple in Man City's run? I didn't say United weren't going to drop points, what I said was the number of points required to drop with City winning all their seems unlikely. Man City have dropped 7 points in their last 5. Last years was last year, both teams were looking completely different.

The final point, I don't know what you are trying to say, you second sentence contradicts your first. Winning games however is what wins you the league.
Reply 1947
Original post by Tommyjw

Exactly those saves are just as valuable as a cracker scored by our strikers, wouldn't trade De Gea for anyone in the league or Europe, even Neuer and Casillas makes mistakes but never get the critics on their backs and don't even get me started on Hart, I bloody love it when De Gea makes these OMG WTF saves, I think every one of us were thinking for **** sakes once that ball left Mata's deadly foot preparing for another depressing couple of days, but we are still in it and can go at the bridge and win.

Plus take the number 7 shirt of Valencia its like he has forgotten how to play footy since he's been wearing it, he cannot live up to the pressure and responsibility that shirt brings.
De Gea's showing how he is benefitting from playing consistently on the bounce, you can see his form's improving, communication and hopefully his concentration. In games against Madrid, today, you expect him to be busy. His development is going to hinge on how Van Der Sar became so admired, when you're not doing anything for 44 minutes and then you're called into action before the break.

But great to see him get the haters off his back slowly.
Was never really convinced we'd win that, even when we were 2-0 up. Still really disappointing not to win that after the position we were in and, as poor as they are now, having to get the job done at Stamford Bridge. The players looked very leg weary, so many passes going astray, just couldn't execute simple football basics. If Cleverley is that poor, played the full game in midweek and Anderson is on the bench but doesn't come on, then perhaps it says a lot about what SAF thinks about Anderson. A midfield signing is crucial this season, I thought Mikel made the difference for them. Also wish we'd stop playing Kagawa on the wing, he plays his best football through the centre as we saw v Norwich. Not to mention the way he drops deep to pick up the ball, usually dribbles in our half and loses the ball.

:confused: Cup games are purely about winning, doesn't really matter how you do it. We've won 23 of our 28 league games, 6 more than nearest challengers Man City.

So you're telling me that city will go on a perfect run, including facing you guys at OT and against tottenham at the lane? Highly doubt it. Although can't lie city are going into form now though but they're not going to get a perfect run.

You haven't been convincing(because your best defender had been out till christmas) but since your defensive record has been much better and performances like against madrid(who were red hot at the time) just shows how good your team is. Your team seems set for the next 3 years, Carrick doesn't seem to be a player that will decline with age but he's a vital player in the team, he could easily do a pirlo or a lampard for you guys.
Original post by Aky786UK

But great to see him get the haters off his back slowly.

Surely the best young GK of the year so far, all things considered?

Courtois is doing it in a similar way but in a much less physical league, he's basically playing like De Gea was, and Ter Stegan isn't playing against similar opposition or even close imo.

I hope Chelsea bring him back and don't decide to sell him though, even if it means a 'rough' introduction like De Gea faced. The quality of goalkeeping this year in the league has been a bit off imo, saved by the Lloris signing.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Mastermind`
Was never really convinced we'd win that, even when we were 2-0 up. Still really disappointing not to win that after the position we were in and, as poor as they are now, having to get the job done at Stamford Bridge. The players looked very leg weary, so many passes going astray, just couldn't execute simple football basics. If Cleverley is that poor, played the full game in midweek and Anderson is on the bench but doesn't come on, then perhaps it says a lot about what SAF thinks about Anderson. A midfield signing is crucial this season, I thought Mikel made the difference for them. Also wish we'd stop playing Kagawa on the wing, he plays his best football through the centre as we saw v Norwich. Not to mention the way he drops deep to pick up the ball, usually dribbles in our half and loses the ball.

:confused: Cup games are purely about winning, doesn't really matter how you do it. We've won 23 of our 28 league games, 6 more than nearest challengers Man City.

Andersons comments about how he's tried to leave united is probably why he's not playing, disciplinary measures as I think he's a quality player, but he's like rooney and nani. The rooney bit being fitness problems and nani being inconsistent but absolute quality. Needs a run of games I think, look how that benefited rafael and I think anderson leaving to go to any club would strengthen them.

Any idea where anderson would go if he leaves this summer. Don't see an absolute top side going for him, but a team like napoli/inter could go for him or he could go back to porto.
Original post by Tommyjw
Surely the best young GK of the year so far, all things considered?

Courtois is doing it in a similar way but in a much less physical league, he's basically playing like De Gea was, and Ter Stegan isn't playing against similar opposition or even close imo.

I hope Chelsea bring him back and don't decide to sell him though, even if it means a 'rough' introduction like De Gea faced. The quality of goalkeeping this year in the league has been a bit off imo, saved by the Lloris signing.

I'd say krul has done decent, usually pulls off loads of saves when I watch him and begovic too, bar that the rest of the league have been dire in goalkeeping.

Don't think courtois will struggle too much tbh. Think he'll probably be like petr cech was in 04-05
(edited 11 years ago)
Just heard Stan Colly more said Carrick was then worst player on the pitch.

Heh
Original post by Tommyjw

Good save but save of the season? You must be having a laugh mate,
Original post by Zürich
Good save but save of the season? You must be having a laugh mate,

If you could kindly show me multiple other saves like this I'd be happy to see how it's not that special.

It was an unorthodox save showing incredible reflexes that not many keepers would have even got close to let alone save it. Matas turn and shot were top notch and is pretty much guaranteed a goal 99% of the time.
Reply 1956
SAF blamed it on fatigue. Absolute bull**** way to rationalise our poor performance.

The team had a full 4 day rest since Tuesdays Champions League match. If I remember correctly, Evans, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez didn't start against Real Madrid so they were fresh. Also Nani only played 55 mins against Real Madrid.

Furthermore Chelsea had 2 days less rest than us and seemed far more energetic. Fatigue is a bull**** excuse. Can't see us winning at Stamford Bridge if we perform like this again. SAF needs to teach the team not to sit back when we take a lead.
Original post by Tommyjw
If you could kindly show me multiple other saves like this I'd be happy to see how it's not that special.

It was an unorthodox save showing incredible reflexes that not many keepers would have even got close to let alone save it. Matas turn and shot were top notch and is pretty much guaranteed a goal 99% of the time.

Here's one from Szczesny's 'big man ting' performance last month:

Top reflexes.
De Gea just dived and got a touch to the ball. Pretty obvious where the shot was going. Not saying it wasnt a good save but I would expect any of the top 6 gks to make it.

Not trying to turn it into a Szcz/Degea debate either as DeGea has been better this season(although I think Szczesny has as much potential long term)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Akkuz
SAF blamed it on fatigue. Absolute bull**** way to rationalise our poor performance.

The team had a full 4 day rest since Tuesdays Champions League match. If I remember correctly, Evans, Cleverley, Kagawa, Rooney, Hernandez didn't start against Real Madrid so they were fresh. Also Nani only played 55 mins against Real Madrid.

Furthermore Chelsea had 2 days less rest than us and seemed far more energetic. Fatigue is a bull**** excuse. Can't see us winning at Stamford Bridge if we perform like this again. SAF needs to teach the team not to sit back when we take a lead.

No it isn't a bull**** excuse. Notice that chelsea had more of the ball against steaua while you had little of the ball against real madrid, went down to ten men and therefore had to cover much more ground that match than we did against steaua.

Chelsea had less rest, but cole, ramires, azpi, cahill and others were rested. Mata also came off the bench against steaua. Chelsea didn't have real madrid to face. Anyway we have more games than you would have especially if we overturn the 1-0 against steaua so you'll see the difference.

You had a 2 goal lead, you were letting us play so you didn't have to use as much energy. You could have pressed high up the pitch and got tired leading to mistakes(see the tottenham vs liverpool match) but in reality footballers can't do that. That's why I applaud bayern munich, they seem to be able to run for 90 mins up and down the pitch counter attacking and stopping counter attacks and even then it's because they tire the opposition out more as bayern have a lot of the ball too.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Zürich
Here's one from Szczesny's 'big man ting' performance last month:

Top reflexes.
De Gea just dived and got a touch to the ball. Pretty obvious where the shot was going. Not saying it wasnt a good save but I would expect any of the top 6 gks to make it.

Not trying to turn it into a Szcz/Degea debate either as DeGea has been better this season(although I think Szczesny has as much potential long term)

You seriously consider that save to be as good?
:laugh:

The shot from Matas was travelling much faster at a much harder to save angle. You see those kinds of saves all the time, you hardly ever see saves like De Gea made today.

Latest