The Student Room Group

Help please, ucas application

Okay can somebody help me.

After my GCSE's i did a levels for two years, got decent grades, but decided i didn't want to go to uni and worked for a couple of years.
However i decided to comeback to education in September and took up intensive a levels (studying a levels in one year)

I am doing English, Sociology at college and self teaching Politics. I got my AS results in January and was happy to have gotten A's in English and Sociology. I will be doing the A2 exams for both those subjects in June, however I will be doing the Politics AS exams in June as well.

Next year i am taking a gap year to work with charities, and do some work experience hopefully in a law firm. I plan to do my A2 politics exams during the gap year. Reason why i didn't do the AS and A2 Politics exams in June is because i thought it would be too much work since i am self teaching that subject.

Messy i know, sorry. I just wanted to know, when i fill my UCAS form out this October, what do i write down regarding grades. I will have my full a-level grades in Sociology and English, HOWEVER I WILL ONLY HAVE MY AS GRADES FOR POLITICS, SINCE I WILL BE DOING THE A2 EXAMS IN MY GAP YEAR, IN JUNE.

I will like to study Law at SOAS so i was wondering are my chances in getting a place slim, since i will only have my AS Politics grade, but my full a-level Sociology and English grades.

Thanks.
I think you will have to put down A2's for Politics as pending, and others' will be all full. And no I don't think it should be the problem, most of the people who apply to unis only have AS done.
Also how did you manage to get into a college to study A-levels as an adult?
I'd really like to do something like that. Is it free? I would want to study an A-level, while I too self teach Politics and a foreign language.
How old are you btw

Original post by boateng

After my GCSE's i did a levels for two years, got decent grades, but decided i didn't want to go to uni and worked for a couple of years.
However i decided to comeback to education in September and took up intensive a levels (studying a levels in one year)

I am doing English, Sociology at college and self teaching Politics. I got my AS results in January and was happy to have gotten A's in English and Sociology. I will be doing the A2 exams for both those subjects in June, however I will be doing the Politics AS exams in June as well.

Next year i am taking a gap year to work with charities, and do some work experience hopefully in a law firm. I plan to do my A2 politics exams during the gap year. Reason why i didn't do the AS and A2 Politics exams in June is because i thought it would be too much work since i am self teaching that subject.

Messy i know, sorry. I just wanted to know, when i fill my UCAS form out this October, what do i write down regarding grades. I will have my full a-level grades in Sociology and English, HOWEVER I WILL ONLY HAVE MY AS GRADES FOR POLITICS, SINCE I WILL BE DOING THE A2 EXAMS IN MY GAP YEAR, IN JUNE.

I will like to study Law at SOAS so i was wondering are my chances in getting a place slim, since i will only have my AS Politics grade, but my full a-level Sociology and English grades.

Thanks.
Reply 2
Original post by boateng

Thanks.

You will put down your original A Levels and your 2 new A Levels and the AS and state that the A2 is pending

You should start calling university admissions people now to check if they will be interested in your rather odd mixture

Some will not be happy with the A2 split over 2 years but this may be mitigated by your age/previous study/relevant employment

You do need to check with universities before applying as you do not really want to waste spaces on universities/courses that will not consider you
Reply 3
Original post by TenOfThem
You will put down your original A Levels and your 2 new A Levels and the AS and state that the A2 is pending

You should start calling university admissions people now to check if they will be interested in your rather odd mixture

Some will not be happy with the A2 split over 2 years but this may be mitigated by your age/previous study/relevant employment

You do need to check with universities before applying as you do not really want to waste spaces on universities/courses that will not consider you

Wow that has got me worried.:frown:

The thing is the Sociology and English i will have done in one year. I am doing intensive alevels like i said. I did the sociology and English AS exams in January (which i have my results), and will be doing the A2 exams this June coming. Just the politics i choose to do over two years, with the A2 being done next year on my gap year whilst i work with charities etc...because of the workload especially since I am self teaching.

So in August I will have to two full alevel's, and an AS in Politics, with the A2 exams being done next June.
Reply 4
Original post by CupiditasMetam
I think you will have to put down A2's for Politics as pending, and others' will be all full. And no I don't think it should be the problem, most of the people who apply to unis only have AS done.
Also how did you manage to get into a college to study A-levels as an adult?
I'd really like to do something like that. Is it free? I would want to study an A-level, while I too self teach Politics and a foreign language.
How old are you btw

I am 22 btw and go college in central London. Like i said, after my A-levels at 18, i left school to work but decided to come back in September.
Erm A levels are free if you have never done them before i think and you are under 25. I had to pay since I am over the age of 18 and have done a-levels before. Go for it if you can! Deffo worth it!
I am doing intensive a levels I must add (a level's in one year, you do the AS in January and the A2 in June)
I
Reply 5
Anybody else....
I mean I already am doing politics (self taught) and will have a full A level in Russian by this summer, and hopefully some units in politics done as well.
I want to do another A-level, as I need 3 to get into uni, thats why I thought of doing an intensive course for that at a college, but not sure where to find one.
Trust me it won't be a problem for you, there was a guy on these forums, he resat his a-levels like so many times, initially he got very low grades u's and e's and d's and for over 4 year he took and re took them. got offers from Manchester, Warwick and Edinburgh this Jan. You'll be fine

Original post by boateng
I am 22 btw and go college in central London. Like i said, after my A-levels at 18, i left school to work but decided to come back in September.
Erm A levels are free if you have never done them before i think and you are under 25. I had to pay since I am over the age of 18 and have done a-levels before. Go for it if you can! Deffo worth it!
I am doing intensive a levels I must add (a level's in one year, you do the AS in January and the A2 in June)
I
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by CupiditasMetam
I mean I already am doing politics (self taught) and will have a full A level in Russian by this summer, and hopefully some units in politics done as well.
I want to do another A-level, as I need 3 to get into uni, thats why I thought of doing an intensive course for that at a college, but not sure where to find one.

Trust me it won't be a problem for you, there was a guy on these forums, he resat his a-levels like so many times, initially he got very low grades u's and e's and d's and for over 4 year he took and re took them. got offers from Manchester, Warwick and Edinburgh this Jan. You'll be fine

Wow if that's the case?

What did he put on his ucas? Did he have to write all the grades he failed down?
I really want to go to SOAS so hope i have a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending