The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Naveen George
Medicine at King's here. Grades willing, of course. Has anyone else here got a medicine offer from King's?

Ah great, what grades do you they want from you?
Original post by _Georgie
Well my D2 can go in maths for the A* in that no problem, and I've still got M2/FP2/FP3 to go so hopefully two of those can average out to >90% with my S2 mark! I've finished M2 already and I've moved on to self teaching M3 so hopefully that exam will be one of my best, and I enjoy both FP2 & 3 so I'm feeling pretty hopeful for those too really. So pretty good!
How are you getting on with the rest?

FP2 and FP3 are both fine, and almost completed. C4 is done, I'm fine with the content but need to stop making ridiculous errors in past papers. I've finished M4, but want to redo a couple of the chapters. Considering looking into M5/S3/S4 to try for an A* in Additional Further, and going to ask my teachers about that tomorrow.
For any gap year-ers, do you use the same UCAS account that you used in your last year of school or can you get a new one?
Similarly, are there any Maths gap year-ers game for sending me their personal statement?
Or at least a run down of it?
Or someone linking me to a maths PS from a gap year student given an offer.
I'd like to see how it varies from a regular PS.
Cheers
Original post by Naveen George
Medicine at King's here. Grades willing, of course. Has anyone else here got a medicine offer from King's?

Original post by hull_tiger

Unconditional for King's PhysNatSci :smile:
Original post by I am Ace
For any gap year-ers, do you use the same UCAS account that you used in your last year of school or can you get a new one?
Similarly, are there any Maths gap year-ers game for sending me their personal statement?
Or at least a run down of it?
Or someone linking me to a maths PS from a gap year student given an offer.
I'd like to see how it varies from a regular PS.
Cheers

I created a new account, and then UCAS linked it to my old one and gave me my old UCAS ID number. :smile:
Original post by Oromis263
I created a new account, and then UCAS linked it to my old one and gave me my old UCAS ID number. :smile:

Is it possible for me to be a UCAS ninja and not let UCAS link it to my old account?
Has anyone been offered for Engineering and retook a module?
Original post by fluteflute
you know that the Maths A* is an average of 90 in C3 and C4 only?

I thought it was C3, C4 and one applied unit too?
Is it possible for me to be a UCAS ninja and not let UCAS link it to my old account?

Doubt it. The universities won't see anything about the old account though.

Original post by Frankster
I thought it was C3, C4 and one applied unit too?

Nope, just C3 and C4 for Maths A-level.
Original post by Oromis263
Doubt it. The universities won't see anything about the old account though.

Nope, just C3 and C4 for Maths A-level.

But I'm considering accepting an offer from a Scottish uni, to go there for some lectures pre-interview, but I don't want them to know that, I want them to think that I'm on a gap year and not at any uni.
But I'm considering accepting an offer from a Scottish uni, to go there for some lectures pre-interview, but I don't want them to know that, I want them to think that I'm on a gap year and not at any uni.

Technically that is lying, and UCAS will know - you'd be taking a big risk. Especially since some universities (such as Cambridge), don't normally accept applications from uni students.
Original post by hull_tiger

A*AA with As in Biology and Chemistry. Yours?
Any other Murrary Edwards MML-ers?

Regardless of any other impediments, you may run into issues with funding. Even though Scottish degree courses are free for Scottish students, it is SAAS (the student awards agency) who actually pays the fees for you and they will normally only pay/loan for the first degree undergraduate degree you undertake. If they have paid for you to go on one course already then when you go to another uni they could either refuse to loan you the English university fees (making you exposed to the £9k/year fees upfront) or they might ask you to compensate them for paying for a course which you then abandoned.

However if you do not progress beyond first year then you may still get a single second chance at funding as per SAAS' "false start" rules. In any case they (and most likely UCAS) will know you've not really been on a gap year.
(edited 11 years ago)

Cambridge will not consider you for the same/similar subject if you are already studying it at another university; you won't be able to hide the fact that you are studying at a Scottish University.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1975
Firmed up my offer for Maths at Girton Last night, Roll on October. One more STEP for mankind!!!!!

Got Durham as insurance.
Reply 1976
Original post by proterra
Firmed up my offer for Maths at Girton Last night, Roll on October. One more STEP for mankind!!!!!

Got Durham as insurance.

:smile:
I've got an offer from Girton as well, for medicine.
good luck with your STEP exams... So happy I don't have any to do.
Reply 1977
Original post by pr100
:smile:
I've got an offer from Girton as well, for medicine.
good luck with your STEP exams... So happy I don't have any to do.

Thanks, hopefully see you in October
Reply 1978
I have a quick question for you very fortunate people holding offers- hope you don't mind me butting in
- did any of you currently in Yr 13 re-take 1 (or more) AS modules in your "core" subjects either in Jun of yr 12 or Jan Yr 13 (i.e. not general studies or ones that they don't care about)? And what degree will you be studying? ( I'm hoping to do Medicine).
My school says that Cambridge won't like any re-sits even in Yr 12 but their website says they don't mind the odd one. I have to decide by Monday.
Thanks guys!
(edited 11 years ago)
It is indeed mentioned in both the website and also the undergraduate admissions prospectus that they do not mind any re-takes, provided that there is a considerable improvement in that particular module. Therefore I would suggest you re-take those modules and you'd better do this in June of year 12 so they can see the new hopefully improved grade in the next October.

Latest

Trending

Trending