The Student Room Group

Will gap year make you rusty for uni?

I am having a year off and looking forward to start university this September but my main concern apart from all the problems I faced with my year off. I was just will I struggle in terms of getting back into studying due to having time off?

My typing skills is very bad at the moment, is it possible for us gappies to pick up the pace when its comes to studying again.

Any input or advice would be helpful.

Scroll to see replies

Depends what you spent that year doing. I might be taking a gap year so i plan on going through a couple of economics textbooks.
not if you gain valuable life experience
Reply 3
Original post by penguinsrcool
not if you gain valuable life experience

What will my life experience bring to the table after my gap year is done.
Original post by Vibenation
What will my life experience bring to the table after my gap year is done.

valuable life skills
Original post by penguinsrcool
valuable life skills

LOL!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Don't take a gap if you want to study maths. Everything I've heard suggests unis don't like it and you'll lose some of your maths knowledge. Best thing is probably to email admissions and check.
I had huge issues getting back into studying regularly just after the 3-4 months off after Year 13, god knows how I would have managed if I had an extra year on top of that. Although I think it was more a motivational problem than simply forgetting stuff, so it depends on the person I guess.
Ive had a gap year.... Thats a lie... Ive had 4! Haha... Im starting uni this year nd doing a college course atm to get me back into things and im managing pretty well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by sr90
I had huge issues getting back into studying regularly just after the 3-4 months off after Year 13, god knows how I would have managed if I had an extra year on top of that. Although I think it was more a motivational problem than simply forgetting stuff, so it depends on the person I guess.

Same here :s-smilie:
Reply 10
Original post by Emma_Janneve
Ive had a gap year.... Thats a lie... Ive had 4! Haha... Im starting uni this year nd doing a college course atm to get me back into things and im managing pretty well :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are you doing access course or doing A levels. You sure took time from education from the sound of it, good for you:cool:
Reply 11
Original post by Chessen
Don't take a gap if you want to study maths. Everything I've heard suggests unis don't like it and you'll lose some of your maths knowledge. Best thing is probably to email admissions and check.

Not doing a maths course, only computing course.
Reply 12
I took a gap year between finishing my A levels and starting university because by the time I got my results, the academic year had already begun here, so I had to wait almost a whole year.
In my experience, taking a gap year is a very good idea. First, that's probably the only occasion when you'll truly be able to be free and idle in your life. A levels were tough, university is going to be tough. Why not take a long break in between? Plus, you get to visit places, read books, maybe work out, maybe re-consider which degree to study for, grow up, learn how to cook, become more mature, etc.
At the end of my gap year, just before leaving for university, I had to take academic books, and start studying to get back into shape academically speaking and not feel completely out of sync in class.
Some people in my class who didn't take a gap year, reached university still reeling from their exhausting A levels, and actually had to work harder than people who took a gap year like me. We were more relaxed and fresh, we were more mature, and more focussed on our studies (and less prone to feeling blue while we were getting used to living alone and bridging the gap between university and high school.)
So, no, I don't think the rust is permanent, a serious shape up starting one month before university should probably be enough to get in touch with academics again.
I went to a uni after i finished college but due to ill health i had to come home after about ten weeks, so I'm missing this year out and starting again in September next year .
What I would do is keep yourself involved in your course, do a bit of reading, writing ect, not an overload because that's basically like being at college, just keep on top of things.
Also like other have said taking a year out is probably something i should have done earning some cash ext i would have deffo benefited from it !!! Hope it helps !! :smile:
Hey guys, i'm still on my gap year and i'm working in Office Shoes full time trying to get some cash together (living.the.dream). ive found it soooo hard to control my money and i'm an awful spender. i've only managed to save £1200ish since i started working in august and i don't feel like i've gained any independence at all cause i still have to live at home.

however it's taught me a valuable lesson, and the lesson is that without education i am truly going nowhere. now, instead of feeling exhausted from A Levels and fuming about unfair exam boards, rubbish teachers and results, i actually WANT to read books again and write essays.

Aside from personal issues, a lot of the reason why I didn't go to Reading University this year despite my unconditional offer was the money...... my maintenance loan was so little and I had no savings or job at the time. Now i feel much more ready and happy to leave because i know i have enough work experience to get me a job when I go to uni in order to keep the money rooollling in

negatives of gap year include: feeling left behind, working in a shoe shop all your life, and not being able to spend money cause you're saving it for uni (trying to save it) (difficult when you're surrounded by shoes)

sometimes i wish i'd just gone straight away but my unconditional offer still stands so i'm going to move out to Reading this October. I'm beyond excited this time instead of feeling worried and unready to leave home, and i feel like i am supposed to leave after seeing and experiencing the alternative which is pretty bleak.

if anyone has read all the way through this and actually given half a ****, i just need one question answered:

can i appeal for more maintenance loan seeing as i've been living off my own means and working full time? or does this not affect my finance?
Reply 15
Original post by Elliecampbell
Hey guys, i'm still on my gap year and i'm working in Office Shoes full time trying to get some cash together (living.the.dream). ive found it soooo hard to control my money and i'm an awful spender. i've only managed to save £1200ish since i started working in august and i don't feel like i've gained any independence at all cause i still have to live at home.

however it's taught me a valuable lesson, and the lesson is that without education i am truly going nowhere. now, instead of feeling exhausted from A Levels and fuming about unfair exam boards, rubbish teachers and results, i actually WANT to read books again and write essays.

Aside from personal issues, a lot of the reason why I didn't go to Reading University this year despite my unconditional offer was the money...... my maintenance loan was so little and I had no savings or job at the time. Now i feel much more ready and happy to leave because i know i have enough work experience to get me a job when I go to uni in order to keep the money rooollling in

negatives of gap year include: feeling left behind, working in a shoe shop all your life, and not being able to spend money cause you're saving it for uni (trying to save it) (difficult when you're surrounded by shoes)

sometimes i wish i'd just gone straight away but my unconditional offer still stands so i'm going to move out to Reading this October. I'm beyond excited this time instead of feeling worried and unready to leave home, and i feel like i am supposed to leave after seeing and experiencing the alternative which is pretty bleak.

if anyone has read all the way through this and actually given half a ****, i just need one question answered:

can i appeal for more maintenance loan seeing as i've been living off my own means and working full time? or does this not affect my finance?

You can get more money through Scholarships and bursaries, they are different types and is all based on which university you go to. Usually there are scholarships for getting good grades like AAA, based on low family income or something like doing outside activity and can be used for supporting yourself. Maintainence loan has a maximum amount and you won't get anymore than you are entitle to, you will get maintainence grant automatically though so make sure you remember that. Do some research.
Reply 16
It depends on what you do.

I'm studying in China for a year and I know that I won't have any problem when I'll get to uni because : 1) I'm studying my socks off here, learning wayyyy too many characters. It's no picnic. 2) living here is an amazing experience. I'm learning so much about myself and other people. I'm becoming more mature and responsible. I think I'm adult now, I can kick my own ass when necessary and get the job done.

Obviously, if your gap year consists in laying in bed at your mummy and daddy's house, then you might have some problems ... but if you actually do something meaningful which will teach you some kind of skills, then it can be extremely beneficial :smile:
I'm on a really boring gap year that I did because I had no idea what to do at uni. It's not all bad as four of my friends also took a gap year so I'm not all alone. I'm working 3-4 days a week as a waitress, and the rest of time is spent working out, reading those books everyone is supposed to have read, and being bored. I am however going to Australia in June, so it will all be worth it!

I agree that I am now sooo motivated to do some work! I went to my college the other day to collect my exam certificates and I just wanted to stay and creep into a lesson! I can't wait to get back into studying.

I have been a bit of a layabout, but it's the one chance I will have in my life to just get on with the things I want to do rather than on someone else's terms.
Original post by Vibenation
You can get more money through Scholarships and bursaries, they are different types and is all based on which university you go to. Usually there are scholarships for getting good grades like AAA, based on low family income or something like doing outside activity and can be used for supporting yourself. Maintainence loan has a maximum amount and you won't get anymore than you are entitle to, you will get maintainence grant automatically though so make sure you remember that. Do some research.

My family is what could be referred to as resting in the 'squeezed middle' portion of the economy. We have enough not to be poor but not enough to be thrown at me or even to support me steadily. I have thoroughly researched all bursaries and grants that my uni offers and I'm not able to apply for any of them. I'm not a chemist and I'm not poor so according to my uni I get nothing. My grades were good but not all A therefore no grant for me.. In fact I don't think reading even offers that sort of thing. I feel like I'm the only one sitting in this hole between rich and poor and am appalled that I'm not even entitled to borrow the full maintenance loan despite the fact I'm expected to take out 9 grand for tuition.

surely others must be in this situation too?
Reply 19
Original post by Elliecampbell
My family is what could be referred to as resting in the 'squeezed middle' portion of the economy. We have enough not to be poor but not enough to be thrown at me or even to support me steadily. I have thoroughly researched all bursaries and grants that my uni offers and I'm not able to apply for any of them. I'm not a chemist and I'm not poor so according to my uni I get nothing. My grades were good but not all A therefore no grant for me.. In fact I don't think reading even offers that sort of thing. I feel like I'm the only one sitting in this hole between rich and poor and am appalled that I'm not even entitled to borrow the full maintenance loan despite the fact I'm expected to take out 9 grand for tuition.

surely others must be in this situation too?

There is a loan called access to learning which is used to support people on the start of their course and will depend on your circumstances.

Here the link - https://www.gov.uk/access-to-learning-fund
I understand your position and I say you have got it tough, but you are doing full time hours, just save 25% that would be at least £500 to save each month and plus there are tons of festivals and concerts if you are after extra work in the summers, I done 70 hours in one week but you wouldn't need it. But I ain't saved nothing yet so I shouldn't criticize you.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest