The Student Room Group

Guys: Skinny or Curvy women?

Scroll to see replies

It's unfair that you've chosen pictures representing the 'skinny' women as gaunt and unhealthy, and the 'curvy' as happy and seductive, giving the latter group the unfair advantage. As somebody who gets called skinny, it's insulting that the word should be associated with negative connotations. So here's some pictures of women who better represent the non-curvy:

Original post by Bellissima
the first picture you posted is impossible to tell because of her flattering and enhancing pose. the second one is NOT curvy, please just look at the bust:hips:waist ratio.... if she lost weight she would have a body more similar to the "skinny" girls... not "curvy".

I don't really get what you mean? The whole definition of curves is that someones body shape is sloping, hence them having lager bust, then a small waist, and then big hips. Being straight up and down regardless of weight is not 'curvy'.

Curvy:

Not Curvy: (note waist to hip ratio)

(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by The Velour Fog
It's unfair that you've chosen pictures representing the 'skinny' women as gaunt and unhealthy, and the 'curvy' as happy and seductive, giving the latter group the unfair advantage. As somebody who gets called skinny, it's insulting that the word should be associated with negative connotations. So here's some pictures of women who better represent the non-curvy:

I wouldn't class any of them as being 'skinny' tbh, I'd say they are all slim and healthy looking. Slim and skinny aren't the same, just as curvy doesn't automatically mean overweight.
OP every girl in the curvy category, apart from kelly and the one below her are still skinny. They just have the bone structure which still gives them hips thus an hour glass figure. U also chose sickening skinny girls in the skinny section. Most "slim/skinny" girls do not look like them in real life.
Original post by beansontoast93
I wouldn't class any of them as being 'skinny' tbh, I'd say they are all slim and healthy looking. Slim and skinny aren't the same, just as curvy doesn't automatically mean overweight.

Exactly!
Reply 25
I agree with OP on the skinny/ curvy distinction. I can't stand curvy women- definitely only do skinny if you know what I mean.
Original post by suncake
I was merely illustrating the fact that you can have skinny curvy women (like the OP posted) and larger curvy women, like the ones I posted. And I would say that skinny is a synonym for slim, so clearly everyone has different perceptions of what these stupid labels mean, therefore there is no real point in asking questions like this because all you'll get is a jumble of conflicting answers and opinions :smile:

hmm... I don't really see "skinny" as a label though, simply a description. And I don't think it's open to perception, it's quite clearly defined.

From Collins Dictionary:

skinny (ˈskɪnɪ )

Definitions
adjective

-nier, -niest
lacking in flesh; thin
consisting of or resembling skin

Synonyms

= thin, lean, scrawny, skeletal, emaciated, twiggy, undernourished, skin-and-bone, scraggy, macilent,

British English: skinny If you say that someone is skinny, you mean that they are very thin in a way you find unattractive.He had skinny legs.ˈskɪnɪ ADJECTIVE

slim (slɪm )

Definitions
adjective

Word forms: slimmer, slimmest
small in width relative to height or length

British English: slim A slim person has a thin nicely shaped body.The young woman was tall and slim.slɪm ADJECTIVE

The difference is clear for all to see.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by beansontoast93

Then I don't understand your argument. You're judging healthy, curvy women (who aren't necessarily overweight) against skeletal, unhealthy women, and asking which group men have a preference for? :confused:
Curvy is a shape not a size, you can be both a slim girl or a bigger girl and be curvy. Similarly you can be both a slim and bigger girl and be 'narrow'. It's just a shame the word curvy has been highjacked to mean overweight, it comes across as a bit deluded and desperate. People need to understand that every guy has a different preference, and what size you are doesn't matter as long as you are healthy, I personally adore women who look like this:

tumblr_mjb8i2v0wh1rchcfgo1_500.jpg

Others don't and that's cool, who cares
Original post by Birdman1234567
Curvy is a shape not a size, you can be both a slim girl or a bigger girl and be curvy. Similarly you can be both a slim and bigger girl and be 'narrow'. It's just a shame the word curvy has been highjacked to mean overweight, it comes across as a bit deluded and desperate. People need to understand that every guy has a different preference, and what size you are doesn't matter as long as you are healthy, I personally adore women who look like this:

tumblr_mjb8i2v0wh1rchcfgo1_500.jpg

Others don't and that's cool, who cares

I agree with your post, there's nothing wrong whatsoever with that woman. But what some people don't understand is that someone can be 'slim' and curvy, such as Jessica Alba (imo) and maybe slighty overweight and be curvy, such as Nigella Lawson. It doesn't really have much to do with weight at all. Even though Cameron Diaz and Jessica Alba probably weigh about the same, Jessica Alba is curvy imo wheras Cameron is not.
Original post by justinawe
hmm... I don't really see "skinny" as a label though, simply a discription. And I don't think it's open to perception, it's quite clearly defined.

From Collins Dictionary:

skinny (ˈskɪnɪ )

Definitions
adjective

-nier, -niest
lacking in flesh; thin
consisting of or resembling skin

Synonyms

= thin, lean, scrawny, skeletal, emaciated, twiggy, undernourished, skin-and-bone, scraggy, macilent,

British English: skinny If you say that someone is skinny, you mean that they are very thin in a way you find unattractive.He had skinny legs.ˈskɪnɪ ADJECTIVE

slim (slɪm )

Definitions
adjective

Word forms: slimmer, slimmest
small in width relative to height or length

British English: slim A slim person has a thin nicely shaped body.The young woman was tall and slim.slɪm ADJECTIVE

The difference is clear for all to see.

Good point, I agree with this. :smile:
Some of the girls in those pictures are way too skinny, i.e Victoria beckham, penelopee cruz was far too skinny at some point in her career also, but that may be due to method acting (i.e. Blow). Anyways it's all about personality when it comes to relationships, but for pure lust for me, curvy always beats skinny, I like some plump girls also.
I find it very hard to become attracted to skinny women. There are skinny women with beautiful faces, but there is nothing sexy about them. Nice baps and waist are pretty much a pre-requisite for an erection. For the sake of future child production non-curvy women should perhaps grow fat, and then contour their bodies through clothes and corsets. Straight up and down fatties are still sexier than bony women though. At least with them, you can cut the curvy shape in to them with scissors.
Reply 33
Give me Nigella Lawson any day of the week
Reply 34
Holly Willoughby about 8 years ago and Kelly Brook about 14 years ago = :^_^:

But good thing "curvy" girls age well since they're still pretty hot in their 30's. I deffo would. :wink:

But Kelly brook is appalling on TV and wouldn't be surprised if she's sacked from Celebrity Juice after 3 weeks.
(edited 11 years ago)
Curvy...
Original post by noobynoo
Holly Willoughby about 8 years ago and Kelly Brook about 14 years ago = :^_^:

But good thing "curvy" girls age well since they're still pretty hot in their 30's. I deffo would. :wink:

But Kelly brook is appalling on TV and wouldn't be surprised if she's sacked from Celebrity Juice after 3 weeks.

I definetly agree with the fact curvy women age better than overly skinny ones. I mean look at the way Angelina Jolie (or Jasmine Lennord, she's in her twenties but looks like she's in her forties) has aged in comparison to Nigella Lawson and even Jlo (she has aged relatively well if you bare in mind she is 44 years old).
Reply 37
dis:

Reply 38
Thing to do is start of skinny and gradually gain weight over the course of you life so that you stretch your skin out and it never gets wrinkly.

If you start of fat and gradually loose weight you'll end up like a prune.
Reply 39
I prefer girls who are curvy more then anything i just think it makes girls look more beautiful but i also like girls who have a bit more of a tan to them somewhere between being white and brown e.g Latino color. A model which i would describe as perfection would be Kate Upton everything about just makes her beautiful.

kate-upton.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest