The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

How old are undergraduates generally in Glasgow University?

i was wondering if any students would help learn about roughly how old people are when they go to glasgow uni to study for the first time.
Reply 1
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
Reply 2
Are there many first-year students older than 20? I spent two years studying at another university, so I'm afraid I'll be 'old' compared to others.
Reply 3
Yep loads of my best friends I made when I started were over 20 and a few over 25. You wouldn't know the difference.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Hawkguy
Are there many first-year students older than 20? I spent two years studying at another university, so I'm afraid I'll be 'old' compared to others.

I know a few international students who studied at other universities or spent a year in the army and were about 21/22 when they started at Glasgow. Same with Scottish students too. You won't be considered "old" at all. The average age of a first year is probably 18, yeah, but I've met ones in their mid 20s, late 20s, 30s, etc etc.
Roughly half the average life expectancy within Glasgow itself.

So 18/19.
Original post by GarethEvans
Roughly half the average life expectancy within Glasgow itself.

So 18/19.

Says the guy from Cardiff haha. Comical.

anyway, to the serious 'average age' posts - who calculates this? Haha. Either way, university if a place for people of all ages. Have a look at Glasgows stats for mature students. I'm one! :smile:
Original post by pmc:producer
Says the guy from Cardiff haha. Comical.

anyway, to the serious 'average age' posts - who calculates this? Haha. Either way, university if a place for people of all ages. Have a look at Glasgows stats for mature students. I'm one! :smile:

Can't take a joke then?

Very sad. More so considering Glasgow actually has the lowest life expectancy in the UK for men.
(edited 11 years ago)
Can't take a joke then?

Very sad. More so considering Glasgow actually has the lowest life expectancy in the UK for men.

Offensive jokes, no. I can't.

PS: Really, you're hitting me with DATA from 2011? Back to google sir.
Offensive jokes, no. I can't.

PS: Really, you're hitting me with DATA from 2011? Back to google sir.

I find it pretty sad that you can't. I'm Welsh for example and with the amount of jokes thrown about at my nationality you've got to laugh them off.

Made big steps in two years then?

IT'S A (barely offensive) JOKE. I imagine you're the kind of bland creature that writes letters of complaint to the BBC upon hearing 'arse' before 9pm.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 11
I find it pretty sad that you can't. I'm Welsh for example and with the amount of jokes thrown about at my nationality you've got to laugh them off.

Made big steps in two years then?

IT'S A (barely offensive) JOKE. I imagine you're the kind of bland creature that writes letters of complaint to the BBC upon hearing 'arse' before 9pm.

You should have made a joke about stabbing and how that can cut your life expectancy right down...excuse the pun. :biggrin:
Original post by mythtakes
You should have made a joke about stabbing and how that can cut your life expectancy right down...excuse the pun. :biggrin:

Don't you'll make him cry! :biggrin:
The amount of childish people on here beggars belief :smile:

Yes - I complain to the BBC about pre-watershed swearing.

Yes - 'Glasweigan is a nationality.

Yes - I'll cry at a little boy and little girl's mindless babble.

Behave man. It's ironic that anyone from Wales would comment on any part of the UK given that they are the dregs of the UK society. Yes, the joke was offensive and to be frank, the post was spam. That's about it.

Yet we have the ultimate monster getting her bit in about stabbings and what not. Narrow minded, childish chat probably basing everything she 'knows' about Glasgow on hearsay and TV...

My last point - Where Glasgow uni is situated, you'll be hard pushed to fine any bad standards of living, or stabbings. You should educate yourself more on what you're talking about.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 14
I'm gna be 20 when I start this year in september
And I'll be at glasgow
I'm thinking positive and hoping there will be people my age

Behave man. It's ironic that anyone from Wales would comment on any part of the UK given that they are the dregs of the UK society. Yes, the joke was offensive and to be frank, the post was spam. That's about it.

Yet we have the ultimate monster getting her bit in about stabbings and what not. Narrow minded, childish chat probably basing everything she 'knows' about Glasgow on hearsay and TV...

My last point - Where Glasgow uni is situated, you'll be hard pushed to fine any bad standards of living, or stabbings. You should educate yourself more on what you're talking about.

This is comedy gold!

You're taking the moral highground regarding an 'offensive' joke (why was it offensive?) and then brand an entire country as 'the dregs of the UK Society' :rolleyes:

Which may I add makes no sense and isn't even a properly structured sentence!

You are most amusing and entirely self-righteous.
Reply 16
Original post by mythtakes
I know a few international students who studied at other universities or spent a year in the army and were about 21/22 when they started at Glasgow. Same with Scottish students too. You won't be considered "old" at all. The average age of a first year is probably 18, yeah, but I've met ones in their mid 20s, late 20s, 30s, etc etc.

Oh, great, thanks! I actually started university at 17, and, at least where I'm from, first-year students over 20 are generally viewed with slight suspicion. I was just afraid people might make wrong assumptions about me.
Reply 17

"The ultimate monster" oh my God hahaha, what an honour. Seriously, calm down. I live in Glasgow, have done for years, half of my family are from Glasgow...what's the big deal? It's a joke. If I had a penny for the amount of times someone's looked at me in horror and said, "Glasgow? PEOPLE GET STABBED THERE! Ross Kemp said so!" I'd be very rich. Those comments used to annoy me, but now - so what? Grow a thick skin and shrug them off or laugh along.

Quick Reply