The Student Room Group

How many exams is too many for June?

I'm an A2 Student who is burdened by many resits (6) for this summer, and I'm questioning whether I should give up on some of these resits.

Is 9 too many? I'm not exceptionally well at studying (hence the need to resit), but I was able to take 5 in January and come out with good results, will I struggle with 9? I shall be studying from today.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
some people on here have done as many as 12-13, and one student this year is apparently doing 17- 18 :O crazy!
I'd say don't go over 10 at all! Its better to aim for 90% in one, then try and scrap As in two (unless you really can't get the over 90% or something)
Reply 2
Original post by Hormonal
I'm an A2 Student who is burdened by many resits (6) for this summer, and I'm questioning whether I should give up on some of these resits.

Is 9 too many? I'm not exceptionally well at studying (hence the need to resit), but I was able to take 5 in January and come out with good results, will I struggle with 9? I shall be studying from today.

How 'bad' are the grades you need to be resitting?
I'm going to be re-sitting 5 (got C's in 4, B in the other), I have A's in all my other modules
Reply 4
I know people who have 11+!
Reply 5
Original post by H0ls
How 'bad' are the grades you need to be resitting?

I'm resitting 3 Maths modules, 2 already at A grades, but I need to resit one of them in order to get an A*, I would like to resit the other one because it's easy (Core 1). The other one is at a D grade - but it isn't essential, it is to bring my fourth AS level up (would like to achieve atleast A*AAb).

I'm resitting 2 Biology modules, one at a C, other at a B as I am ~35 UMS off an A.

Also resitting 1 Chemistry module (10 UMS off an A).
Reply 6
I'm resitting 3 Maths modules, 2 already at A grades, but I need to resit one of them in order to get an A*, I would like to resit the other one because it's easy (Core 1). The other one is at a D grade - but it isn't essential, it is to bring my fourth AS level up (would like to achieve atleast A*AAb).

I'm resitting 2 Biology modules, one at a C, other at a B as I am ~35 UMS off an A.

Also resitting 1 Chemistry module (10 UMS off an A).

If I were you, I'd take a good look at the dates of the exams to check they're well spaced out. I'd probably not bother with resitting Core 1, and only resist the other maths module to obtain the A* (do you need for this uni?)

Perhaps you could leave off the fourth AS? Do you need it for your uni offer?
Reply 7
Original post by H0ls
If I were you, I'd take a good look at the dates of the exams to check they're well spaced out. I'd probably not bother with resitting Core 1, and only resist the other maths module to obtain the A* (do you need for this uni?)

Perhaps you could leave off the fourth AS? Do you need it for your uni offer?

I've looked at the exam dates, ironically, Core 1 is the one furthest apart lol. Also, if I can perform well in Core 1(which I'm confident of), it will take a huge load off Core 4.

The A* isn't needed for Uni, but I think I can get it and it's very frustrating! I'm considering not resitting it. :/

As for the fourth AS, it's not needed for my Uni offer, but if I achieve the grades I want (AAA), if I have the B in the forth AS, it will mean I can apply to a wider range of universities.

The ones that are scarily close:

M1 is 3 days after BIO1
BIO2 is the day before CHEM2
BIO5 is 2 days before Core 3
Core 4 is a day before CHEM5 (but this can't be helped, simply down to the very helpful and generous exam timetabling of the esteemed exam boards!)
(edited 11 years ago)
This thread is quite shocking.

Everyone in my school is FORCED to do 12 papers this May June .

Take comfort in that fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
It's a win-lose situation for me. Don't have that many at all but hate the fact they're on consecutive days; I'd prefer a couple days between each. :erm:
Original post by StUdEnTIGCSE
This thread is quite shocking.

Everyone in my school is FORCED to do 12 papers this May June .

Take comfort in that fact.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I understand that, but I have 3 months to revise for the large number of my resits and your school has had 1 or 2 years. I'm not complaining, as it is largely my fault, but if TSR deems it too high a number, I'll cut down on my exams.
Reply 11
I've looked at the exam dates, ironically, Core 1 is the one furthest apart lol. Also, if I can perform well in Core 1(which I'm confident of), it will take a huge load off Core 4.

The A* isn't needed for Uni, but I think I can get it and it's very frustrating! I'm considering not resitting it. :/

As for the fourth AS, it's not needed for my Uni offer, but if I achieve the grades I want (AAA), if I have the B in the forth AS, it will mean I can apply to a wider range of universities.

What are your current grades? BBCC? It's honestly up to you. I think you just have to be realistic, only you know how well you manage your own time. I'm putting myself in for a couple of resits to ensure I get AAA also and I'm confident on my time management.

Also, are you aware of where you went wrong? I know mine was lack of revision last time around. It's pointless putting yourself in for any resit if you're uncertain of why you got a "low" grade.

Edit: I do agree with the timetabling of exams being terrible, I had 10 last summer and they were all in the same week. It's frustrating.
Reply 12
I'm doing 9 if you work consistently you'll be able to manage it
Reply 13
this springs timetabling was aweful, C4 and FP1 at the same time >.<

i had 15 to sit in the summer, but i have got that down to 13, possibly 10 depending on how things go
Reply 14
I have 8 and I'm not doing any resits! :frown:
Original post by H0ls
What are your current grades? BBCC? It's honestly up to you. I think you just have to be realistic, only you know how well you manage your own time. I'm putting myself in for a couple of resits to ensure I get AAA also and I'm confident on my time management.

Also, are you aware of where you went wrong? I know mine was lack of revision last time around. It's pointless putting yourself in for any resit if you're uncertain of why you got a "low" grade.

Edit: I do agree with the timetabling of exams being terrible, I had 10 last summer and they were all in the same week. It's frustrating.

I'm on ABBc, with one B being very close to an A and the other being very close to a C lol.

And I understand why I got a low grade in my exams, all down to exam stress! I'm not confident of my time management, but I'm feeling extremely motivated, as long as it's possible without having to work insanely hard, I shall do it!
Reply 16
I'm on ABBc, with one B being very close to an A and the other being very close to a C lol.

And I understand why I got a low grade in my exams, all down to exam stress! I'm not confident of my time management, but I'm feeling extremely motivated, as long as it's possible without having to work insanely hard, I shall do it!

We're in the same predicament, I'm on ABB with both my B's 4 UMS from an A. I have the same problem with stress. I've consistently got A's on all my homework and even class mock tests, it's just seems whenever I get in the exam situation then stress gets the better of me. I might pop to the doctors and see if there's any tablets they can prescribe.

Are you applying to uni on your gap year?
Original post by H0ls
We're in the same predicament, I'm on ABB with both my B's 4 UMS from an A. I have the same problem with stress. I've consistently got A's on all my homework and even class mock tests, it's just seems whenever I get in the exam situation then stress gets the better of me. I might pop to the doctors and see if there's any tablets they can prescribe.

Are you applying to uni on your gap year?

Yeah IKR! I do really really well on mock tests and the such, then in the real exam I end up with a B or scrape an A.

It really depends what I end up with. I'm holding an AAB offer at the moment, but if I achieve AAA, then I'll take a gap year and reapply. How about you?
I am doing 15 exams... 6 in May 9 in June... Wish me luck :smile:
It isn't so tough.

Go back a few years and students typically studied 8-10 O-levels with each requiring 2 papers of 2.5 hours duration.

These were taken over a period of 3 weeks at the end of May / beginning of June meaning 20 x 2.5 hours of exams. I believe art was two 5 hour sessions.

A-levels were 2 x 3.5 hour exams + lab exams for Chemistry, Biology and Physics.

Thing is, you had to revise your entire 2 year course for those final exams (both O and A-levels). They were not split down into modules.

And......there was no such thing as re-sits. You got one chance and that was it. Talk about pressure!

This is what Gove wants to re-introduce to GCSE'a and A-levels.

As I said, not so bad.
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest