The Student Room Group

PGCE - Want to leave teaching...advice please

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by noodles!
Sorry, think I hijacked your thread with my rant up there.

Independent schools can employ unqualified teachers, but I think it would be pretty difficult to get in that way. Could you look into maybe working in an independent school in another capacity as an assistant or something, but make clear at all stages that you would be interested in taking up teaching there too?

I could try it but I don't know how likely it would be that a job as an assistant in an indie school is available. Would have to have a look around in my area.
Reply 61
Original post by Juichiro
I heard you don't need any qualification for private teaching but you need experience and references. Can you provide that?

Well In terms of experience, I have done half a maths PGCE, and a little school experience prior to that in order to get on it, so I have taught lessons completely in the state sector. Whether that is anywhere near enough experience to be considered I don't know. I would also probably have to convince them that moving out of the PGCE was due to things connected to the state sector.

The provider I was at said they would give a good reference, so i presume I could cover that. I'd love to see their faces when they found out I had left the PGCE and was trying to get into the Indie sector!
Reply 62
Original post by John Mullen
I could try it but I don't know how likely it would be that a job as an assistant in an indie school is available. Would have to have a look around in my area.

Where are you from?
Reply 63

I think this can depend on the school. Yes, every school wants to be 'good' or 'outstanding'. However, both schools I was in I pretty much taught how I wanted to - what was important was that the kids made progress. I actually went to an interview where the Head said it doesn't matter if you don't have a starter or whatever because how boring would it be for the kids if they knew every lesson is a starter, main chunk, plenary?
Yes, some schools are pretty much obsessed with Ofsted and the ever-changing goalposts. However, some are absolutely lovely to work in.
Surely before you started the PGCE you knew that you would have to mark, plan and manage behaviour?
As you are on placement, you just have to do what the school wants. It is actually beneficial if you get used to no PP/textbook (because they are the easiest ways to show something or assess). I am an NQT and I would absolutely use a PP or questions from a textbook if it meant I could assess pupils effectively - whether it was an Ofsted lesson or not.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 64
Original post by SHABANA
I think this can depend on the school. Yes, every school wants to be 'good' or 'outstanding'. However, both schools I was in I pretty much taught how I wanted to - what was important was that the kids made progress. I actually went to an interview where the Head said it doesn't matter if you don't have a starter or whatever because how boring would it be for the kids if they knew every lesson is a starter, main chunk, plenary?
Yes, some schools are pretty much obsessed with Ofsted and the ever-changing goalposts. However, some are absolutely lovely to work in.
Surely before you started the PGCE you knew that you would have to mark, plan and manage behaviour?
As you are on placement, you just have to do what the school wants. It is actually beneficial if you get used to no PP/textbook (because they are the easiest ways to show something or assess). I am an NQT and I would absolutely use a PP or questions from a textbook if it meant I could assess pupils effectively - whether it was an Ofsted lesson or not.

I never had any freedom in the teaching, the workload become ridiculous - up at 6am, work until the early hours, - unsustainable when you don't like what you are having to do. I knew about it being difficult but didn't imagine it would be as bad as it was - so bad that I felt the need to discontinue the training.

the ofsted stuff is why this thread has turned into the 'can i get into the indie sector with half a maths pgce' thread!
Reply 65
Original post by Paul PTS
I'm from another country.
I'm just as you. :cry: I also thought that it's interesting to work in education at the start of this year... But now... I'm thinking about joining police, as soon as I get all my documents from the Ministry. Meanwhile I have to work 7 days a week (in education). Except teaching - I need to arrange different activities, make lot's of documents. And the most awful task - to visit all the officials around and make the contracts, which concern educational questions. So I teach 4 days a week (Saturday and Sunday - always), two days I visit the officials, and one day I make the documents. I also have to visit all the educational activities of others and the same time to be in another part of the city, meeting with the officials and so on. Not long ago I found out myself in situation when I had to be in three places the same time and everywhere - in five minute time. It ended up that I could visit two places of three, which I had to.

The same time it's interesting fact that the average policeman earns twice more than I do. And I myself - Criminal Law PhD.

Education to Policeman; that's a big gap :smile:
But you've a PhD in Criminal Law, so I don't think it's a problem.
Are the salaries or working hours more hectic? It could be a lot worst, maybe?
Reply 66
Original post by kka25

1000 pounds instead of 400 pounds a month won't be worse. :smile:
Reply 67
Original post by kka25

Otherwise, I finally get someone from TSR and arrange small English language school, travel firm and so on. :smile:
Original post by Paul PTS
Otherwise, I finally get someone from TSR and arrange small English language school, travel firm and so on. :smile:

Paul you said on that other thread you're looking for an English Native Teacher, send me a personal message if you are serious, I've been looking at going to Russia in the future
Reply 69
Original post by LukeySherlock
Paul you said on that other thread you're looking for an English Native Teacher, send me a personal message if you are serious, I've been looking at going to Russia in the future

So think about it. :smile: The empty house to place you I have. I have my own ideas about marketing strategy over here for education business. Don't forget that you talk to the person who made the contacts with the mayor of the district center from zero and arranged the practice for the whole group of students in a month time. :smile: At the moment I try to arrange the practice for twice more number of the students. They all need to be placed in municipal bodies, so now I arrange the places in four more towns. :smile:
Reply 70
I look for such a native speaker at TSR, since 2009. :colondollar: It would be amazing if I find one finally.
Reply 71
I never had any freedom in the teaching, the workload become ridiculous - up at 6am, work until the early hours, - unsustainable when you don't like what you are having to do. I knew about it being difficult but didn't imagine it would be as bad as it was - so bad that I felt the need to discontinue the training.

the ofsted stuff is why this thread has turned into the 'can i get into the indie sector with half a maths pgce' thread!

Maybe finish the PGCE and see how you feel as an NQT? It seems like you got unlucky with the schools you were in.
Workload also gets less as you get better at planning etc.
Original post by Lexi99
I wanted to teach about my subject but all the other stuff around it like planning, marking, etc is so dull and not what I want to spend my life doing.

Do you mind me asking what your subject is and where you are based?

I'm planning on starting a post-16 PGCSE myself this year :smile:
Reply 73
Original post by Clioashlee
Do you mind me asking what your subject is and where you are based?

I'm planning on starting a post-16 PGCSE myself this year :smile:

My subject is film, not really media although i had to do some media lesson that i knew nothing about! im at essex uni and do my placement at a college
Reply 74
Original post by SHABANA
Maybe finish the PGCE and see how you feel as an NQT? It seems like you got unlucky with the schools you were in.
Workload also gets less as you get better at planning etc.

I have left the PGCE. Became impossible with the workload and I was not enjoying any of it by the end. Wanted to take time out from the course e.g. defer and go back at a later date, but the provider would not allow it. I came to the decision I was never going to be able to carry on so had to leave.

Now looking for something else and I just don't know what I am going to do next. :frown:
Reply 75
I have left the PGCE. Became impossible with the workload and I was not enjoying any of it by the end. Wanted to take time out from the course e.g. defer and go back at a later date, but the provider would not allow it. I came to the decision I was never going to be able to carry on so had to leave.

Now looking for something else and I just don't know what I am going to do next. :frown:

You could try Teach First. I don't know too much about it, but it seems like you are basically a full teacher once you start in September (or are treated like one anyway) so you might prefer that.
Reply 76
Original post by Shelly_x
You could try Teach First. I don't know too much about it, but it seems like you are basically a full teacher once you start in September (or are treated like one anyway) so you might prefer that.

I think you have to be willing to be placed anywhere in the country though, which I won't do, and I just think I would be doing the same thing again.

I think my main finding from the whole pgce was that I was only interested in the A-level side of things, but you can't just teach A-level unfortunately. all of the behaviour management and pastoral side of things for the younger years just didn't agree with me.

Really have no clue what to do now though. It was impossible to carry on with PGCE. I'd love to be able to do something with A-level teaching though
You can train to just teach post-compulsory, altho I don't know whether there is a course for maths
Reply 78
Original post by *Interrobang*
You can train to just teach post-compulsory, altho I don't know whether there is a course for maths

I suppose it would just be like starting again though. I don't have any experince of colleges/sixth form colleges, all my experience has been in secondary schools.

I am in such a mess now that the pgce has not worked out. Wanted to defer and just take time away from it to think about what I really wanted but that option was not available at my provider. I have told them I wish to leave but I wonder whether I should make one last ditch effort to see if they will keep me but defer me. I think it is too late though
Reply 79
I suppose it would just be like starting again though. I don't have any experince of colleges/sixth form colleges, all my experience has been in secondary schools.

I am in such a mess now that the pgce has not worked out. Wanted to defer and just take time away from it to think about what I really wanted but that option was not available at my provider. I have told them I wish to leave but I wonder whether I should make one last ditch effort to see if they will keep me but defer me. I think it is too late though

If in doubt don't leave and carry on. I'm starting a PGCE in September and I've got 6 months of my current job left to do. There isn't anything to stop me handing my notice in and leaving tomorrow but I've have to stay really for the financial implication. I can't wait to leave but the benefits out way the negatives at this point. I think that could be same for you. A less than wonderful first placement will deter you but just think when you complete the qualification you can teach anywhere, and the teachers I know all say there is more freedom when you are left to it as a qualified professional.

I would just add that the independent sector do employ non PGCE teachers but I was told by a number of private school teachers, "why would they when they can pick from those who did the course?" I've spent a fair bit of time at a different private school (for comparison) and whilst it's just one place they are nearly all (10:1) PGCE qualified, (and state educated interestingly). I specifically asked the head and he said he would generally rule out someone who hadn't done the PGCE unless they had a really remarkable CV.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending