The Student Room Group

Help a really thin girl gain weight!

I'd just like advice on my dietary plan and the supplements I want to use. I have a very small frame, low muscle mass and body fat. I like being small, I'd just like to gain weight (both body fat and muscles). I don't want a 'toned' body, I just want to be more like normal girls rather than thin.

My weight fluctuates really easy, e.g apparently I've lost 3 pounds in 2 days?! My appetite is small and when I feel down/anxious my appetite drops, also I'm a pretty energetic person whose always jiggling and running upstairs so I do understand why I'm thin. :tongue:

Anyway, the plan:

For breakfast I hope to have full fat yogurt and then nutella on toast with a glass of milk.
Lunch will probably be sandwich, some fruit, crisps, juice.
Dinner-I plan to eat lots of pasta, always something dairy and something protein and a salad.
Evening (around 9)-2 slices of peanut butter on toast.
Just before bed-bowl of ice cream.

What do you think?

I'd also like weight gain/protein shakes. Only I'm nervous about buying random products from not well known sights so could you just tell me if these products are good (and not dodgy) and whether the site's reliable? I don't wana be buying some random powder that'll have bizarre effects on my health in 10 years. :tongue:

http://www.nutridrinks.co.uk/Calshake/View-all-products.html

http://www.worldwideshoppingmall.co.uk/body-soul/rapid-weight-gain.asp

Any help would be highly appreciated!!

Scroll to see replies

Cake is your best friend.
I can totally relate to the lack of appetite with mood changes. Something I did when I was overcoming eating issues was learn to cook properly, and really enjoy cooking and therefore the food i made. Food needs to become a pleasurable activity. Your diet sounds fairly standard, seriously up the calories. Eat like a viking preparing for war, then add some snacks. Protein shakes etc aren't really necessary, you can get all you need from proper food, and you need to learn the lifestyle change of eating more too.
I used to have severe emetophobia and refused to eat too much because of it (not exactly sound logic, but hey) - what really helped me gain weight was chocolate flavoured 'Nurishment milk' - it has about 450 calories in it plus about 92% of our GDA for all necessary vitamins, so you won't be lacking in anything if you don't feel like eating much later :smile: Obviously this isn't a substitute for regular meals (eating little and often, plus this milk, really helped me) but it's a start ^^ Also, don't overload on one food group and neglect the others - if you ate nothing but 3 bowls of pasta everyday you will not put on weight - so your plan looks pretty good to me, save that you might want to ensure you get some high-protein food once everyday :smile: Keep us posted, and good luck! ^^
Original post by Double Agent
I can totally relate to the lack of appetite with mood changes. Something I did when I was overcoming eating issues was learn to cook properly, and really enjoy cooking and therefore the food i made. Food needs to become a pleasurable activity. Your diet sounds fairly standard, seriously up the calories. Eat like a viking preparing for war, then add some snacks. Protein shakes etc aren't really necessary, you can get all you need from proper food, and you need to learn the lifestyle change of eating more too.

It's good to have someone who relates! Seems like everyone else has the opposite problem. Yeah, you're so right. I'm just looking for a quick fix with the supplements because I can't be bothered to eat loads. My attitude is that meals are a necessity and I have to squeeze them in my day like a chore. Don't get me wrong, I do like food, I'd kill for some nachos with cheese and guacamole right now. :tongue: It's just the regular day to day meals that are tedious and boring. I know what you've said is nothing mind blowing but you've actually helped me so much!
Original post by FridayI'mInLove
It's good to have someone who relates! Seems like everyone else has the opposite problem. Yeah, you're so right. I'm just looking for a quick fix with the supplements because I can't be bothered to eat loads. My attitude is that meals are a necessity and I have to squeeze them in my day like a chore. Don't get me wrong, I do like food, I'd kill for some nachos with cheese and guacamole right now. :tongue: It's just the regular day to day meals that are tedious and boring. I know what you've said is nothing mind blowing but you've actually helped me so much!

Im pleased :smile: People do struggle understand people who are trying to gain weight, they just don't get that is is a struggle. Something I used to do was to spend a few hours on a sunday cooking up big batches of things like stew, pasta bake etc and freeze them in pots, so i could just microwave one and have a big easy meal. :smile:
Reply 6
I'd just like advice on my dietary plan and the supplements I want to use. I have a very small frame, low muscle mass and body fat. I like being small, I'd just like to gain weight (both body fat and muscles). I don't want a 'toned' body, I just want to be more like normal girls rather than thin.

My weight fluctuates really easy, e.g apparently I've lost 3 pounds in 2 days?! My appetite is small and when I feel down/anxious my appetite drops, also I'm a pretty energetic person whose always jiggling and running upstairs so I do understand why I'm thin. :tongue:

Anyway, the plan:

For breakfast I hope to have full fat yogurt and then nutella on toast with a glass of milk.
Dinner-I plan to eat lots of pasta, always something dairy and something protein and a salad.

What do you think?

I'd also like weight gain/protein shakes. Only I'm nervous about buying random products from not well known sights so could you just tell me if these products are good (and not dodgy) and whether the site's reliable? I don't wana be buying some random powder that'll have bizarre effects on my health in 10 years. :tongue:

Just eat more calories than you burn, even if you've got a small appetite you'll have to eat more to gain weight. Still eat healthily just eat more calories.

Doing loads of exercise will burn calories too lol, so try and spend more time sitting on your ass :wink:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by LiteraryBigamist
I used to have severe emetophobia and refused to eat too much because of it (not exactly sound logic, but hey) - what really helped me gain weight was chocolate flavoured 'Nurishment milk' - it has about 450 calories in it plus about 92% of our GDA for all necessary vitamins, so you won't be lacking in anything if you don't feel like eating much later :smile: Obviously this isn't a substitute for regular meals (eating little and often, plus this milk, really helped me) but it's a start ^^ Also, don't overload on one food group and neglect the others - if you ate nothing but 3 bowls of pasta everyday you will not put on weight - so your plan looks pretty good to me, save that you might want to ensure you get some high-protein food once everyday :smile: Keep us posted, and good luck! ^^

Thank you so so much!! :smile: I'll definitely go for that milk. It's hard to find good products like that as there's so much out there and random websites with no product reviews, so it's brilliant to hear from someone who has actually used it. Eating little and often with lots of protein sounds like the way to go. I'll use that milk as a short term thing to gain weight as well as making sure I eat far more and just have a better attitude to food. Like DoubleAgent said, it's really about lifestyle change.
Original post by Double Agent
Im pleased :smile: People do struggle understand people who are trying to gain weight, they just don't get that is is a struggle. Something I used to do was to spend a few hours on a sunday cooking up big batches of things like stew, pasta bake etc and freeze them in pots, so i could just microwave one and have a big easy meal. :smile:

Aah that's such a good idea! It'll make sure that I eat real wholesome meals when I'm just feeling lazy or want something quick. You've inspired me to get cooking now. :tongue: The people I know who have a bit of the opposite problem to me love spending afternoons scouring through recipe books and cooking, like you said it really is about changing how you think about it. :smile: I'll try to really begin to appreciate my meals, make them interesting, I do get bored easily.
Reply 9
breakfast - sachet of oatso simple made with whole milk + a banana or scrambled eggs on wholemeal bread
lunch - 2 slices of seeded bread with chicken or tuna, cottage cheese and salad
dinner - chicken, steak or salmon with rice or baked potato and steamed veg or baked beans
pre bed - 2 rice cakes with peanut butter on and a glass of whole milk

multi vitamin such as centrum (cheap on amazon) and plenty of water

buying individual cans of 'nourishment' will work out quite expensive, last time I looked they were over £1 per can and obviously contain preservatives and sweeteners. It would work out cheaper to buy 1kg of powder from somewhere like bulk powders and make it yourself. Not that I'm saying you need extra protein powders.

If you so desire 'weight gainer' shakes can be made at home in a blender, a banana, peanut butter, whole milk and a scoop of protein.

3500 calories is roughly 1 lb so consuming 3500 calories more than your body uses will cause you to gain 1lb
My opinion is you should shape up your body. Gaining weight is really easy but keep the shape of the body is difficult I think.
Reply 11
Sounds like a perfect reason to load up on meat feast pizzas imo
Reply 12
why do people neg for the truth on here
Reply 13
so did you gain any?
Reply 14
Eat... you know put food... in your mouth, and chew, do not vomit.

Anyway, the plan:

What do you think?

where do you live? im on leave from the army in april i can help you eat a disgusting amount of macdonalds food in a rediculously short space of time. This is what im trained to do and i do it well.
Reply 16
To increase weight you need more calories in your daily diet. Make a fantastic plan of diet having some protein and carbohydrates and calculate their calorie.
Do you want to gain weight really healthily?
I can't really advise for that, but I can give tips for weight gain in general... it's basically the reverse of what dieters do.
For example you could drink fruit juice/smoothies/milk instead of water. The juice/smoothies aren't really healthy because of the high sugar...which is why I added the milk :P One of my friends used to drink juice instead of water and worked out she was having atleast an extra 500 calories a day...
Bigger portions...if you usually have one slice of nutella on toast...have another... one packet of crisps... have a second. Most people I've met in my life who were really thin basically had smaller portions than their larger counterparts...if you find it hard to eat a lot more at once, wait a couple of hours for the food to go down then eat some more. So basically I'd snack between lunch and dinner. Some people even snack between breakfast and dinner (its called elevenses). Your stomach might hurt at first when it's being stretched but this it is a normal reaction ... I feel like that on Yom Kippur (jewish fast day thing) because my appetite shrinks fast.
Last but not least... here's a psychology tip. Use a bigger plate and bowl. It's supposed to trick your brain into thinking you're eating less as visually the amount of plate the food takes up will be less.
Original post by Anonymous
Do you want to gain weight really healthily?
I can't really advise for that, but I can give tips for weight gain in general... it's basically the reverse of what dieters do.
For example you could drink fruit juice/smoothies/milk instead of water. The juice/smoothies aren't really healthy because of the high sugar...which is why I added the milk :P One of my friends used to drink juice instead of water and worked out she was having atleast an extra 500 calories a day...
Bigger portions...if you usually have one slice of nutella on toast...have another... one packet of crisps... have a second. Most people I've met in my life who were really thin basically had smaller portions than their larger counterparts...if you find it hard to eat a lot more at once, wait a couple of hours for the food to go down then eat some more. So basically I'd snack between lunch and dinner. Some people even snack between breakfast and dinner (its called elevenses). Your stomach might hurt at first when it's being stretched but this it is a normal reaction ... I feel like that on Yom Kippur (jewish fast day thing) because my appetite shrinks fast.
Last but not least... here's a psychology tip. Use a bigger plate and bowl. It's supposed to trick your brain into thinking you're eating less as visually the amount of plate the food takes up will be less.

Thankyou thankyou thankyou. :hugs: The bigger plate tip is a good one, it can be daunting if I see a massive load of food on the plate!

Original post by lilmissshady
so did you gain any?

I did not. :emo: I've stayed exactly the same. It's exam period coming up at uni so I doubt I'll have time to take all the awesome advice given in this thread on board. But the summer holidays will bring beautiful opportunity to stuff my face constantly. I'll be happy with one stone gained. That's all I want! I'm just sick of being a small person. My height, I can't help, but my weight I can.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by james04k
To increase weight you need more calories in your daily diet. Make a fantastic plan of diet having some protein and carbohydrates and calculate their calorie.

I will do. I don't think it'll be hard to gain really, as my appetite is pretty small and I don't bother eating sometimes so all I have to do is eat like a normal human being and I should gain. :tongue: I pity the thin people who claim they eat loads and never ever put on any weight!

Quick Reply

Latest