The Student Room Group

Private V Comprehensive - The Social Stigma

A few friends of mine that are currently attending University (Russell Group) have noticed that several of the Private School students they have befriended have often made sneer comments about the Comprehensive system and quality. Not only that but have become incredibly frustration at their lack of knowledge of the genuine problems (usually/stereotypically) Comprehensive students face such as money restrictions.

For example, a girl stated to a friend of mine that she felt she was buckling under the pressure of money - However her doctor Mother and Father send her over £800 a month.

It just bothers me that SOME of these Private School students have this negative image of Comprehensive Schools, even though these students got into the SAME University as them WITHOUT the additional help that Private Schools offer after having thousands upon thousands thrust at them by MC parents. Then to have the nerve to complain about financial restrictions? It's beyond frustrating.

I understand not all Private students think this way about Comprehensives, nor complain about financial issues. I only refer to the few that do. I also understand that some Comprehensives have negative views of Privates too.

Just curious of other peoples opinions? P and C alike.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Time to get some better friends.
Reply 2
Original post by Joinedup
Time to get some better friends.

My friends aren't the issue, it's what I've heard from their experiences or what they have seen.
Reply 3
Original post by shaycollins
My friends aren't the issue, it's what I've heard from their experiences or what they have seen.

them, not you. :rolleyes:

nb doesn't include you or any nice friends they have made.

Hope this resolves any ambiguity.
Depends on the individual.
(edited 11 years ago)
I'm also at a Russell Group, and I've always found that ex-comp students are far more likely to make snide comments about private schools than the other way around.
Reply 6
A few friends of mine that are currently attending University (Russell Group) have noticed that several of the Private School students they have befriended have often made sneer comments about the Comprehensive system and quality. Not only that but have become incredibly frustration at their lack of knowledge of the genuine problems (usually/stereotypically) Comprehensive students face such as money restrictions.

For example, a girl stated to a friend of mine that she felt she was buckling under the pressure of money - However her doctor Mother and Father send her over £800 a month.

It just bothers me that SOME of these Private School students have this negative image of Comprehensive Schools, even though these students got into the SAME University as them WITHOUT the additional help that Private Schools offer after having thousands upon thousands thrust at them by MC parents. Then to have the nerve to complain about financial restrictions? It's beyond frustrating.

I understand not all Private students think this way about Comprehensives, nor complain about financial issues. I only refer to the few that do. I also understand that some Comprehensives have negative views of Privates too.

Just curious of other peoples opinions? P and C alike.

Obviously those people are snobby idiots. The same can be applied to those who reverse snobbery too.
Reply 7

why let it bother you

how are they in the wrong

you, yourself are suggesting here that private school provide additional help implying that private schools are in some ways better than state schools

as for the money it is reasonable to expect that someone coming from a monied background will be used to far more luxury than someone who doesn't, so their relative financial suffering is greater .. they can only comment from their perspective

so again, why does it bother you
Reply 8
Original post by TenOfThem
why let it bother you

you, yourself are suggesting here that private school provide additional help implying that private schools are in some ways better than state schools

as for the money it is reasonable to expect that someone coming from a monied background will be used to far more luxury than someone who doesn't, so their relative financial suffering is greater .. they can only comment from their perspective

wouldn't you expect people to be realizing that the world doesn't revolve around them, other people may be offended by their assumptions etc. by the time they're going off to uni?
Reply 9
Original post by Joinedup
wouldn't you expect people to be realizing that the world doesn't revolve around them, other people may be offended by their assumptions etc. by the time they're going off to uni?

Good Lord no,

The majority of teenagers that I know are completely self-centred and have very little understanding of life beyond their immediate environment
Reply 10
Original post by TenOfThem
why let it bother you

Firstly, I stated that both Private and Comprehensive school students that want to make an opinion are capable of making negative comments against eachother.

Secondly, I implied the 'stereotypical' students of Private schools and specifically stated that not ALL.

Thirdly, it's irrelevant as to why it bothers me. I'm curious, period.
Firstly, I stated that both Private and Comprehensive school students that want to make an opinion are capable of making negative comments against eachother.

Secondly, I implied the 'stereotypical' students of Private schools and specifically stated that not ALL.

My point is ... no-one you describe in your OP is making negative or unreasonable comments
Ah, I come from a above average family wealth wise ( My dad earns about 80k a year ), we applied for a place at saint albans boys private school, i got in, but we decided it was not worth it and because i was smart i could do well anywhere, so i went to the local comprehensive, i am in year 9 now, do you think my parents made the right decision?
Original post by SweatyGoals
Ah, I come from a above average family wealth wise ( My dad earns about 80k a year ), we applied for a place at saint albans boys private school, i got in, but we decided it was not worth it and because i was smart i could do well anywhere, so i went to the local comprehensive, i am in year 9 now, do you think my parents made the right decision?

True you can do well anywere. Furthermore in my opinion anyone can do well anywhere, if your motive you'll go through hell and above to reach your goal. Regardless of, school, finance or most other disadvantages. Then again you may get 12A* at GCSE but you will be always limited inside your school. By their finical constraints, can you do as many sports, languages, extracurricular activities ect....

You could have done better or you could just be in the same position, this isn't measurable and simply not worth thinking about. In some way going to a private school would have nourished your experience growing up (not necessarily in educational terms). Then again you may have never had some personal experiences and come into contact with certain people. Generally comprehensives have a wider range of backgrounds.
Original post by Astrtricks
True you can do well anywere. Furthermore in my opinion anyone can do well anywhere, if your motive you'll go through hell and above to reach your goal. Regardless of, school, finance or most other disadvantages. Then again you may get 12A* at GCSE but you will be always limited inside your school. By their finical constraints, can you do as many sports, languages, extracurricular activities ect....

You could have done better or you could just be in the same position, this isn't measurable and simply not worth thinking about. In some way going to a private school would have nourished your experience growing up (not necessarily in educational terms). Then again you may have never had some personal experiences and come into contact with certain people. Generally comprehensives have a wider range of backgrounds.

Thanks

Just to point,something out ..
80k is far above an average income.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, does that mean we are rich? lol, my mum earns about 30k a year.
Original post by Sheldor

Posted from TSR Mobile

Although also, to point out, the average household incomes of students at top/better universities are likely to be higher than the average in the population.

I'm not sure what OP's issue is in a way - why worry about this? One always meets a range of people at college who hold idiotic opinions about some things, which are typically based on their inexperience of life in a particular area, or a lack of knowledge. This often changes over time. Class snobbery is something that some people rather cluelessly engage in and others are smart enough to play with, joke about or ignore. Seek out the latter and avoid the former if they wind you up a lot.
Oh, does that mean we are rich? lol, my mum earns about 30k a year.

Yes, it does

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Although also, to point out, the average household incomes of students at top/better universities are likely to be higher than the average in the population.

I'm not sure what OP's issue is in a way - why worry about this? One always meets a range of people at college who hold idiotic opinions about some things, which are typically based on their inexperience of life in a particular area, or a lack of knowledge. This often changes over time. Class snobbery is something that some people rather cluelessly engage in and others are smart enough to play with, joke about or ignore. Seek out the latter and avoid the former if they wind you up a lot.

While it may be higher, a total household income of 120k isn't the average at any Russel Group university. Possibly at a private uni like New College of the Humanities, but that's disputable even there

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Sheldor
Yes, it does

While it may be higher, a total household income of 120k isn't the average at any Russel Group university. Possibly at a private uni like New College of the Humanities, but that's disputable even there

Posted from TSR Mobile

Didn't he mean a total of £80K, of which his mum earns £30K? :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending