The Student Room Group

AQA CHEM5 A2 Chemistry - 19th June 2013

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sherlockedd

Yikes! I have a few friends who do further maths as well, it sounds painful.

Well, considering I just did C3,C4,S2,D1 in January, having two maths exams is like a godsend :P. Fortunately, I did well in S2 and M2 so I need 86 in either FP2/3 for the A*. So, just have to keep on working towards the final hurdle! How was your CHEM4?
Reply 21
Chem5 is so dull compared to chem4. I absolutely hate transition metals.
Original post by Nitrogen

You're the first person i've seen that has a blue gem. I thought it just went from green to red or vice versa :tongue:

So you hate me? :frown:

Transition metals aren't that bad, but the Thermodynamics is much much better :rolleyes:
Reply 24
Original post by jqian
Well, considering I just did C3,C4,S2,D1 in January, having two maths exams is like a godsend :P. Fortunately, I did well in S2 and M2 so I need 86 in either FP2/3 for the A*. So, just have to keep on working towards the final hurdle! How was your CHEM4?

Oooh well done you! And I did ok, not as well as I'd have liked, but I'm not gunna complain. I got 104/120, so 4 off an A* grade. I was a little annoyed but hopefully I can make it up in June.

Original post by Technetium

Transition metals aren't that bad, but the Thermodynamics is much much better :rolleyes:

I dislike the fact that we just basically have to learn equations... I don't see how that's chemistry. I like thermodynamics because I feel that it's more like chemistry, although drawing out Born-Haber cycles is a right nightmare :L

Is it bad that I mainly enjoy Thermodynamics because I'm a Muse fan and spent the majority of the lessons rolling off The 2nd Law and headbanging (much to the bemusement of my Chemistry teacher)?
Original post by lozzvipond
Is it bad that I mainly enjoy Thermodynamics because I'm a Muse fan and spent the majority of the lessons rolling off The 2nd Law and headbanging (much to the bemusement of my Chemistry teacher)?

Omg LOL! Muse fan right here too :h:
Besides that.. Born Haber cycles are kind of cool, right? :biggrin:
Reply 27
Oooh well done you! And I did ok, not as well as I'd have liked, but I'm not gunna complain. I got 104/120, so 4 off an A* grade. I was a little annoyed but hopefully I can make it up in June.

I'm sure you will! I'm going to lose so much UMS on the EMPA so I have to get quite high in CHEM5 to compensate. At the moment, not looking that likely. Wish Chemistry grade boundaries were more like physics, instead of 99/100 for full UMS, whereas physics is only 63-64/75 for full UMS.
Omg LOL! Muse fan right here too :h:
Besides that.. Born Haber cycles are kind of cool, right? :biggrin:

Rock on :biggrin: They're alright, once you get your head around them! I like Gibbs Free Energy! :smile:

I dislike the fact that we just basically have to learn equations... I don't see how that's chemistry. I like thermodynamics because I feel that it's more like chemistry, although drawing out Born-Haber cycles is a right nightmare :L

Do you mean compared to all the actual thinking that you need to do when drawing out reaction mechanisms :tongue:
Reply 30
The way I think of it is the 3 sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) are on a scale. I know what I'm about to say is a generalisation cos I don't do Biology but generally: Biology is remembering a lot of facts and has a lot of theory, Physics has relatively little theory but more applying theory in different circumstances and Chemistry has the nice balance between the two (in my opinion anyway). Sometimes I don't feel like I truly understand Chemistry because we are always taught that there is a general trend and there is ALWAYS an exception, so in that sense I feel like I can never fully comprehend Chemistry, I mean if you weren't told the exceptions; it's highly unlikely as a A Level student without further knowledge you would be able to work out where the exceptions lie.
In CHEM5's case, I think too much of it is remembering facts and equations and learning trends with the exceptions, apart from Thermodynamics and Equilibria, not much thinking is required as so much remembering colours and structures/bonding etc.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by brittanna
Do you mean compared to all the actual thinking that you need to do when drawing out reaction mechanisms :tongue:

Yeah I feel like we're just being told to regurgitate information and I don't have a very good memory :/ Much prefer to have logical steps to reach an answer. All these colours are going to kill me :rolleyes:
Original post by lozzvipond
Rock on :biggrin: They're alright, once you get your head around them! I like Gibbs Free Energy! :smile:

Gibbs energy is the one! Casually calculating the feasibility of a reaction like a G :cool:
Reply 33
Original post by jqian
The way I think of it is the 3 sciences (Biology, Chemistry and Physics) are on a scale. I know what I'm about to say is a generalisation cos I don't do Biology but generally: Biology is remembering a lot of facts and has a lot of theory, Physics has relatively little theory but more applying theory in different circumstances and Chemistry has the nice balance between the two (in my opinion anyway). Sometimes I don't feel like I truly understand Chemistry because we are always taught that there is a general trend and there is ALWAYS an exception, so in that sense I feel like I can never truly fully understand Chemistry.
In CHEM5's case, I think too much of it is remembering facts and equations and learning trends with the exceptions, apart from Thermodynamics and Equilibria, not much thinking is required as so much remembering colours and structures/bonding etc.

As a generalisation I'd agree, although biology is getting ridiculously applications-based if the last exam I sat is anything to go by :L
Reply 34
As a generalisation I'd agree, although biology is getting ridiculously applications-based if the last exam I sat is anything to go by :L

Please don't tell me your exam board for biology is OCR? (it's the most unpredictable exam board).
Gibbs energy is the one! Casually calculating the feasibility of a reaction like a G :cool:

Goldfish tastes Horrible without Tomato Sauce
G=ΔH-TΔS
Reply 36
Original post by jqian
Please don't tell me your exam board for biology is OCR? (it's the most unpredictable exam board).

Yes it is... woo lucky me :L
Reply 37
Original post by Zazuwaved
Goldfish tastes Horrible without Tomato Sauce
G=ΔH-TΔS

Interesting pneumonic you got there :L
Reply 38
Original post by brittanna
You're the first person i've seen that has a blue gem. I thought it just went from green to red or vice versa :tongue:

Its because i have 0 reputation points :biggrin:
Reply 39

I only like nitrogen :wink: Me too! I like the maths bits and born barber cycle. Basically everything except from TM and periodicity.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending