The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Is this sexist?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Jacob :)
Got a couple of things and I wonder if they're considered sexist:

Women swearing: I generally find it very unattractive as I find swearing aggressive and vulgar which I don't think are attractive traits for a woman to have.

Gender specific tasks: In a marridge I would prefer that we sticked to gender defined household tasks. I would clean the car, take out rubbish, mow the lawn etc while my wife would iron, Hoover etc. This isn't just because I wouldn't want to do 'feminine' jobs but I wouldn't want my wife doing 'masculine' ones that are more dirty and physically hard because if she was I would feel like I wasn't being a good husband by making her from such un lady like tasks.

Staying home with the baby: I would work because I would want to provide for my wife and baby. I wouldn't feel like a good husband if I allowed my wife to work while I looked after the baby.

I know these views are old fashioned and I wouldn't enforce them with an iron fist but are they sexist? Is wanting to provide for and protect your wife sexist? Is wanting a lady to act feminine sexist?

I think such attitudes have been seen as sexist towards women for quite some time. From my perspective though I think they are equally damaging towards men. What if some men do not want to live up to whatever you perceive masculinity or manhood to be? What if a father wants to stay at home to take care of his child? I don't particularly like to swear, am I less of a man? I think an appreciation of how sexual stereotypes can be equally as restricting for both men and women would go some way towards progressing to a more gender neutral society in which people can choose to fulfil whatever function they like.

You say you want to work and for your potential wife to assume a more domestic function. As long as she is happy with that and you are happy with that then its absolutely fine! Where I would start to have a problem would be if you attempt to enforce such an arrangement on others especially by means of the kind of prejudices you espouse.
Original post by alice.babee
Not sexist at all! For me, I'm all about the stereotypical marriage.. like the wife cooks and cleans etc! (and I'm female hahah)

I agree about the swearing, personally though I hate anyone swearing, I don't see ANY need for swearing and whatnot, especially women swearing :/

You sound like a total perfect husband hahahah! Like I'd want my husband to do "dirty" things but I love cooking and cleaning so I'd happily do that.. in my eyes the woman should provide for her family in that way and then the man brings home money :smile: for me the man is there to look after and protect his wife and children, and he does this by providing for them.

However I disagree about the baby thing, I'm going off to do dentistry at uni in September so obviously I'm the career type (conflict much?) but I think I'd still want to be "in charge" of baby caring :tongue:

I don't think these are sexist at all - quite refreshing actually! I love the idea of a stereotypical family, like kids and a dog and whatnot :smile: there is nothing wrong with wanting a woman to act feminine, surely it's to do with masculinity? Like you will feel more masculine if you do the manly jobs, as opposed to you standing there doing the dishes :tongue: now don't get me wrong a little help is alright, but I'm a bit obsessive when it comes to cleaning so I'd end up doing everything myself anyways :')

So no, not sexist at all :smile:

Awesome. I wouldn't want you to end your career when we had kids. I don't think I'd ever want to take time off work for any sort of extended period of times though. I wouldn't be against getting a nanny but of course I'd like my wife to be "in charge" of it!
Original post by ChocoCoatedLemons
Because why should she have to behave like that all the time? Why can't she just be herself?

If a woman is happy in that role, and wants to be in it for herself, fine. But you wanting her to be like that is wrong. Would you be alright with it if your wife thought you should never be allowed to show proper emotions and had to act rugged and manly ALL THE TIME? No, you wouldn't. People should be themselves.

Of course I'd want them to be themselves so I'd marry someone who was ladylike. So then they could always be themselves which is ladylike!
Original post by MissNix
the homosexual scenario isn't technically sexist. Sexism is prejudice or discrimination based on a person's sex. I see what your trying to say but I'm looking at this in a technical sense where sexism is discrimination againsnt someone based on thier sex,looking at it from the culture that we have (men go to work women stay at home etc.)Technically on paper what you're saying is sexist. And really there is a fine line between your personal preference and sexism. If you don't like a women swearing because it's antisocial behaviour and generally a bad thing to do ok. but if you don't like a woman swearing because it's not something she should do becasue she's a woman (see un-ladylike, not femminine) then we have sexism. It all depends on the motive behind it. Since I don't know you enough to tell if you are sincere and this is just a preferecne for certain behaviour (that society just defines as being "feminine") I have to go on your choice of pharsing hence the statments above.

also

It was implied.

Sorry I never meant to imply that. A man should be active in child care but I wouldn't want to be a stay at home dad.

The main reason I think a woman shouldn't swear is that I find it unattractive because its not ladylike as I see it.
Original post by llessur123
Drinking beer shouldn't be compared to being aggressive and hurting people. Some women enjoy the taste of beer, just like men. I always thought it was strange that certain alcoholic drinks were ladled as "masculine" and "feminine". You don't see someone picking up a can of fanta and someone else telling them they shouldn't drink it because it's a male/female drink.

I don't know Lilt is pretty girly.
Original post by paddyraggy1993
I think such attitudes have been seen as sexist towards women for quite some time. From my perspective though I think they are equally damaging towards men. What if some men do not want to live up to whatever you perceive masculinity or manhood to be? What if a father wants to stay at home to take care of his child? I don't particularly like to swear, am I less of a man? I think an appreciation of how sexual stereotypes can be equally as restricting for both men and women would go some way towards progressing to a more gender neutral society in which people can choose to fulfil whatever function they like.

You say you want to work and for your potential wife to assume a more domestic function. As long as she is happy with that and you are happy with that then its absolutely fine! Where I would start to have a problem would be if you attempt to enforce such an arrangement on others especially by means of the kind of prejudices you espouse.

She can definitely work if she wants. I don't just want her to sit at home. I'd want her to pretty much do what she wants concerning work in her life but I'd want her to take care of the children or arrange for them to be taken care of.
I don't know Lilt is pretty girly.

That is utterly ridiculous. Do you assign a gender to all of your foods and beverages?
Of course I'd want them to be themselves so I'd marry someone who was ladylike. So then they could always be themselves which is ladylike!

No, you're saying that that is the way you think is the right way for a woman to behave.

Lets take your anti-swearing policy for example. Why should a woman swear less than a man?
No. It isn't sexist as you're not discriminating against a given gender specifically.

Instead, I would describe it as traditional/conservative views regarding gender roles.
That is utterly ridiculous. Do you assign a gender to all of your foods and beverages?

Sorry that was a bit of a joke.

So you don't think some alcoholic drinks are more feminine or masculine?
No, you're saying that that is the way you think is the right way for a woman to behave.

Lets take your anti-swearing policy for example. Why should a woman swear less than a man?

Swearing has connotations of violence, anger and aggression which I find very un ladylike. I prefer women who are lady like so I would prefer a woman not to swear.

I don't think it's right or wrong morality has got nothing to do with it.
Swearing has connotations of violence, anger and aggression which I find very un ladylike. I prefer women who are lady like so I would prefer a woman not to swear.

I don't think it's right or wrong morality has got nothing to do with it.

So you don't think women should swear because they're women. Hi there sexism, that was proven pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

Yes, it does. You think that it is wrong when women swear compared to men. Don't back track and try to wiggle out of it now.
So you don't think women should swear because they're women. Hi there sexism, that was proven pretty quickly. :rolleyes:

Yes, it does. You think that it is wrong when women swear compared to men. Don't back track and try to wiggle out of it now.

I'm not saying anyone HAS to do anything. This is just what I'd want for my wife or girlfriend because that's what I'd find attractive.

I've never said it was wrong!
I'm not saying anyone HAS to do anything. This is just what I'd want for my wife or girlfriend because that's what I'd find attractive.

I've never said it was wrong!

You don't have to say something for that to be what you think. You're implying that very, very clearly.

That is how you would like women to behave, and how you think women should behave. That's sexist. If your only reason for justifying assigning one gender with an action is what genitals they're carrying around, that's sexism.
You don't have to say something for that to be what you think. You're implying that very, very clearly.

That is how you would like women to behave, and how you think women should behave. That's sexist. If your only reason for justifying assigning one gender with an action is what genitals they're carrying around, that's sexism.

Ok. So if it is sexist is it bad? It's not hurting anyone if I hold the opinion that women shouldn't swear.
Sorry that was a bit of a joke.

So you don't think some alcoholic drinks are more feminine or masculine?

Sorry, it's hard to tell the tone online! No, not at all. I think the glasses they are served in can look feminine/masculine though. For instance if you put an apple Martini into a pint glass it wouldn't seem so feminine any more. A lot of cocktail glasses look really feminine too so I can see where the idea comes from.
Sorry, it's hard to tell the tone online! No, not at all. I think the glasses they are served in can look feminine/masculine though. For instance if you put an apple Martini into a pint glass it wouldn't seem so feminine any more. A lot of cocktail glasses look really feminine too so I can see where the idea comes from.

For the sake of this arguement lets say some drinks are very manly and others girly. Is it bad to not find it attractive for a girl to drink a manly drink?

If I find feminity attractive surely it makes sense to be unattracted to a girl doing manly things?
Ok. So if it is sexist is it bad? It's not hurting anyone if I hold the opinion that women shouldn't swear.

Yes, of course it is bad. It is hurting people - because you're saying that certain actions are less acceptable for women over men, for no other reason than their gender. That's discriminating against half of the population. Surely you understand that, whilst you may not be saying anything too shocking, it's actually a small part of a much larger problem.
Yes, of course it is bad. It is hurting people - because you're saying that certain actions are less acceptable for women over men, for no other reason than their gender. That's discriminating against half of the population. Surely you understand that, whilst you may not be saying anything too shocking, it's actually a small part of a much larger problem.

For this example I never said I'd go around enforcing my opinion or even mentioning it. It would not effect anyone anymore than other reasons I'm attracted or unattracted to girls.

And as part of the larger problem it works both ways.
Original post by Nick1sHere
Here I present to you TSR, where feminists and white knights are widespread

I'm rather glad they are. It's a break from the blatant misogynistic threads that pop up for no apparent reason.

No one likes a man-hating bitch, but that isn't feminism.

Latest

Trending

Trending