The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by IzzyJay25
I've applied for Japanese Studies and I'm hoping to get into Sheffield. :smile:

hey, i,ve got my offer for japanese studies at uni of sheffield, so maybe be on same course , went for visit and the department and uni are fantastic, best of luck with your application and hope you get in :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Gaijin2013
hey, i,ve got my offer for japanese studies at uni of sheffield, so maybe be on same course , went for visit and the department and uni are fantastic, best of luck with your application and hope you get in :smile:

Hey, that's great! I'll be going to visit some time in April and I can't wait. Best of luck to you too and maybe see you next year. :smile:
Reply 3
I just got my unconditional through from Edinburgh a couple days ago for Japanese and linguistics so I will definitely be going there.

Have you got any previous experience with the language?
Reply 4
Original post by xDreamerx
I just got my unconditional through from Edinburgh a couple days ago for Japanese and linguistics so I will definitely be going there.

Not really, apart from watching a lot of dramas if that counts... I've taught myself/picked up on a few expressions and I'm also learning Hiragana and Katakana at the moment. What about you? :smile:
Reply 5
Good luck guys. Japanese is a challenging and difficult language with a metric tonne of characters and stuff, but also really clever. You'll start to understand the meaning behind characters and how idioms and stuff relate to the culture.

I should probably learn some more kanji for sure. I think I'm as good/bad as a 10 year old when it comes to those nasty kanji-s. I can read internet articles and blogs but Japanese newspapers are just WTF.

It's hard keeping up with my Japanese when I have all these damn A-Levels to do, even though I have Japanese parents and talk to them often :/
Reply 6
Not really, apart from watching a lot of dramas if that counts... I've taught myself/picked up on a few expressions and I'm also learning Hiragana and Katakana at the moment. What about you? :smile:

No, not much either. I listen to a fair amount of Japanese music but I don't really learn anything from that. I was learning hiragana and katakana but I had to leave it alone and focus on my Advanced highers, although I may start at it again since my unconditional has come through and therefore I don't need to worry so much about my current subjects.

Can you recommend any dramas? I haven't watched any before but I've been thinking about finding one to watch for a little while now.
Reply 7
Original post by xDreamerx
Can you recommend any dramas? I haven't watched any before but I've been thinking about finding one to watch for a little while now.

I would definitely recommend Hana Yori Dango (2 seasons) and Tumbling (I cried so much watching these two). Out of all the JDramas I've watched, they are my favourite. Akai Ito, Hana Kimi and Koizora are quite good as well. (Hana Kimi is hilarious!)
Also, if you are interested in Korean dramas, you should watch You're Beautiful and Mary Stayed Out All Night. They're GREAT! :biggrin:
Reply 8
I would definitely recommend Hana Yori Dango (2 seasons) and Tumbling (I cried so much watching these two). Out of all the JDramas I've watched, they are my favourite. Akai Ito, Hana Kimi and Koizora are quite good as well. (Hana Kimi is hilarious!)
Also, if you are interested in Korean dramas, you should watch You're Beautiful and Mary Stayed Out All Night. They're GREAT! :biggrin:

Thanks, well I'll definitely give them a try at least and let you know what I think.
I got an unconditional offer for Japanese at SOAS, so I'll be heading there. I'm currently doing an evening course in Japanese and know Hiragana and most of the Katakana. Nice to see lots of fellow prospective Japanese students :smile:
Reply 10
Hey folks, I'm a first-year at University of Edinburgh studying Japanese. Just wanted to say congratulations first and foremost, doing a degree in Japanese is great fun, even if the occasional "Why don't you do Chinese instead?" gets annoying!

xDreamerx

Congrats. I saw from another post of yours that you wanted to maybe just do the single Honours Japanese. The system is quite flexible, so you'll definitely be able to switch, however they might make you wait until after the 1st year to do so, so that would be a year of the Linguistics class. Either way, it won't have too much impact. I definitely think just single Japanese is better though, Japanese & Linguistics requires you to write an 8000 word essay during your 3rd year abroad, and in the 4th year your classes and dissertation are much more Linguistics-based. Much more fun to just do Japanese.

If anyone has any questions, particularly about Edinburgh & Japanese, feel free to ask. :cool:
Reply 11
I'm thinking about applying to Japanese & Journalism at Birkbeck. Anyone else?

What are you guys planning to do with these degrees? :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by TankPolice
Hey folks, I'm a first-year at University of Edinburgh studying Japanese. Just wanted to say congratulations first and foremost, doing a degree in Japanese is great fun, even if the occasional "Why don't you do Chinese instead?" gets annoying!

Congrats. I saw from another post of yours that you wanted to maybe just do the single Honours Japanese. The system is quite flexible, so you'll definitely be able to switch, however they might make you wait until after the 1st year to do so, so that would be a year of the Linguistics class. Either way, it won't have too much impact. I definitely think just single Japanese is better though, Japanese & Linguistics requires you to write an 8000 word essay during your 3rd year abroad, and in the 4th year your classes and dissertation are much more Linguistics-based. Much more fun to just do Japanese.

If anyone has any questions, particularly about Edinburgh & Japanese, feel free to ask. :cool:

Well I've applied for both but I just haven't got a response for single honours yet although I honestly expected them to come pretty close together since they are so similar. I hope I do get an offer for the single honours - and I honestly don't see why I couldn't - since part of the reason that I'd prefer to do that is that I would have the free credits in first year to continue with French, so changing after first year wouldn't really be ideal.

Like you said it won't have a huge impact and even if worst comes to worst, I still have an unconditional to Edinburgh University so I can't really complain :tongue:
Reply 13
Hi there :smile:
I applied for Chinese and Japanese at Manchester and Leeds, Japanese and Politics/IR at Leeds and SOAS and straight Japanese at Edinburgh. So far I'be only received an unconditional offer from Manchester, which I will firm if I don't get into Edinburgh :smile:
I got my French baccalaureate in June 2012. I'm currently spending a year in Beijing, studying Chinese intensively at Tsinghua University (an having the best time ever btw :biggrin:). I'm taking the HSK 5 soon :smile:

I have started learning Japanese on my own here and I love it. I can't wait to finally study both Japanese and Chinese, as I've been dreaming of for a while now :smile: I hope that my knowledge of Chinese characters will help me with learning Japanese and not confuse me.. (I'm actually really scared of this)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by Bambirina
Hi there :smile:
I applied for Chinese and Japanese at Manchester and Leeds, Japanese and Politics/IR at Leeds and SOAS and straight Japanese at Edinburgh. So far I'be only received an unconditional offer from Manchester, which I will firm if I don't get into Edinburgh :smile:
I got my French baccalaureate in June 2012. I'm currently spending a year in Beijing, studying Chinese intensively at Tsinghua University (an having the best time ever btw :biggrin:). I'm taking the HSK 5 soon :smile:

I have started learning Japanese on my own here and I love it. I can't wait to finally study both Japanese and Chinese, as I've been dreaming of for a while now :smile: I hope that my knowledge of Chinese characters will help me with learning Japanese and not confuse me.. (I'm actually really scared of this)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh my gosh hi, I am also doing the French Baccalaureate this year. It's REALLY stressful and I can't wait to get it over and done with and study Japanese!

China sounds fun! My dream would be to be able to speak every Asian language (particularly Japanese, Korean and Chinese) and travel all over Asia...

I'm quite confused aswell when it comes to Kanji and I am not looking forward to having to learn it... ^^

Good luck with your offers by the way! :smile:
OMG I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS THREAD EVERYWHERE YAYAYAYAYA :ahee:

Looking to study Japanese at uni next year, I've sent off my decisions (eek), Firm= Oxford, Insurance= Sheffield

As to past experience, my speaking knowledge is sort of intermediate via lots of J-pop and some evening classes, and my reading/writing is limited to hiragana and a few Kanji to do with music (used to do some stuff for JpopAsia). So basically, bad. BUT THAT'S WHY I'VE APPLIED RIGHT? :awesome:
unrealistic yume= be an entertainment journalist in Japan
more realistic yume= being a teacher of some kind

Any J-pop fans here? :biggrin:
Original post by okonomiyaki
OMG I HAVE BEEN LOOKING FOR THIS THREAD EVERYWHERE YAYAYAYAYA :ahee:

Looking to study Japanese at uni next year, I've sent off my decisions (eek), Firm= Oxford, Insurance= Sheffield

As to past experience, my speaking knowledge is sort of intermediate via lots of J-pop and some evening classes, and my reading/writing is limited to hiragana and a few Kanji to do with music (used to do some stuff for JpopAsia). So basically, bad. BUT THAT'S WHY I'VE APPLIED RIGHT? :awesome:
unrealistic yume= be an entertainment journalist in Japan
more realistic yume= being a teacher of some kind

Any J-pop fans here? :biggrin:

I've been trying to get into J-pop for a while now but can't seem to find any bands that really click with me. Mind reccomending any bands you like so I can check them out?? :biggrin:
Reply 17
Original post by Squaresquirrel
I've been trying to get into J-pop for a while now but can't seem to find any bands that really click with me. Mind reccomending any bands you like so I can check them out?? :biggrin:

I personally don't like J-Pop that much (strange, I know), almost leaning towards crap with the recent stuff. But I've always loved B'z, an absolutely timeless J-Rock duo with legendary guitarist Tak Matsumoto. They've changed their style throughout the times but have always been amazing. Also check out T.M.Revolution.

I listen to other Japanese bands as well:
The Mods
Tokyo Ska Paradise Orchestra
Tak Matsumoto
(he does some sick solo stuff when not doing B'z stuff)

But these are far from current J-Pop and the latter two are instrumental bands. I think I used to listen to some animé soundtracks for novelty, they weren't bad. But then anything sounds good after hearing it at least 13 times.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 18
Oh my gosh hi, I am also doing the French Baccalaureate this year. It's REALLY stressful and I can't wait to get it over and done with and study Japanese!

China sounds fun! My dream would be to be able to speak every Asian language (particularly Japanese, Korean and Chinese) and travel all over Asia...

I'm quite confused aswell when it comes to Kanji and I am not looking forward to having to learn it... ^^

Good luck with your offers by the way! :smile:

Oh hi ! Don't worry the bac is not as terrible as everybody makes it sound .. If the average to stupid guy from a bad high school can get it, you'll get it too, and if you study, you'll have good grades :smile: I took the bac L and the only bad grade I got was in Philosophy, which is very subjective. The other subjects are just fine if you study :smile:

Yeah I love China, I'm having a blast here ! I can't wait to speak both Chinese an Japanese, even though they are both gonna require a lifetime to actually be mastered .. :smile:
Kanji are actually the easiest thing for me in Japanese right now, at least to write :tongue: and sometimes their pronunciation sounds like weird Chinese, it's funny (and a little confusing)

Good luck with your bac, but I'm sure you'll do great ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 19
I would love to take Japanese but to spend $20,000 on something that I can learn on my own is sort of foolish. Plus it would only be a time waster [4 years down the drain]. I decided to go into nursing instead because it has a much better demand and I love helping people. Regardless, I still wish I had the extra cash and time to take Japanese then I would be able to understand the manga I bought in Japanese :frown:.

Latest

Trending

Trending