The Student Room Group

Chris Huhne sentenced to 8 MONTHS imprisonment

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by andypandy11
It does relate to the original offence. The maximum sentence for perverting the course of justice is life imprisonment.

The original offence was speeding.
Original post by thunder_chunky
I'm sure he'll get the same hard sort of prison time that Jeffery Archer got.

Didn't Archer go out for a curry on Sundays with the prison warders and have his own valet?
I'm sure he'll get the same hard sort of prison time that Jeffery Archer got.

Three Diaries and a Novel then?
Reply 43
Original post by Aliccam

Which is why he's only got a few months and not years...
Original post by Matthew_Lowson
Three Diaries and a Novel then?

Do you think he'll collaborate with Vicky Pryce on the books? On second thoughts, maybe not.

Original post by Fullofsurprises
Didn't Archer go out for a curry on Sundays with the prison warders and have his own valet?

And played cricket as well didn't he?
Original post by Aliccam

Yes, but if you say that people should only get punished for the original offence rather than the cover up then what is the deterrant to trying to cover crimes up? Then people may as well have a go covering up crimes for themselves and others, if there are no consequences for this.

Perverting the course of justice is a serious crime and as they have been found guilty of this then it makes sense they are punished for this rather than the speeding. And it is in proportion to the crime, if they had perverted the course of justice regarding a more serious crime then they would have received a longer sentence.

And you also seem to be defending him regarding the speeding. He had 9 points on his licence and was travelling quite a way over the speed limit. The fact he did this shows he didn't really give a damn, most people would be more careful if they got any points on their licence.
Do you think he'll collaborate with Vicky Pryce on the books? On second thoughts, maybe not.

And played cricket as well didn't he?

Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that! And didn't he have someone writing his books for him too? (That last bit was clearly intended as ironic humour, but only just.)
Original post by Madam, I'm Adam
Yes, but if you say that people should only get punished for the original offence rather than the cover up then what is the deterrant to trying to cover crimes up? Then people may as well have a go covering up crimes for themselves and others, if there are no consequences for this.

Perverting the course of justice is a serious crime and as they have been found guilty of this then it makes sense they are punished for this rather than the speeding. And it is in proportion to the crime, if they had perverted the course of justice regarding a more serious crime then they would have received a longer sentence.

And you also seem to be defending him regarding the speeding. He had 9 points on his licence and was travelling quite a way over the speed limit. The fact he did this shows he didn't really give a damn, most people would be more careful if they got any points on their licence.

It would be neat if their prison work assignment was making license plates.
Reply 48

I agree your point. He was a bit stupid, but he would still have had to pay his wife's fine. Prison was a bit harsh. A longer ban and heavier fine would have been more appropriate. Avoiding points was not causing any danger to anyone.
Reply 49
Bad publicity for revenge
Original post by Aliccam
I agree your point. He was a bit stupid, but he would still have had to pay his wife's fine. Prison was a bit harsh. A longer ban and heavier fine would have been more appropriate. Avoiding points was not causing any danger to anyone.

I agree, it's way over the top. Can't think why this has happened for any other reason than the CPS were determined to make an example of some highups, for the encouragement of lesser mortals. Or (perish the thought) someone high up in the structure saw it as a great opportunity to pee on a leading LibDem politician from a great height?
Reply 51
I agree, it's way over the top. Can't think why this has happened for any other reason than the CPS were determined to make an example of some highups, for the encouragement of lesser mortals. Or (perish the thought) someone high up in the structure saw it as a great opportunity to pee on a leading LibDem politician from a great height?

Live by the sword, die by the sword!:smile:
Original post by Aliccam

I do agree that prison is a bit harsh in this case, they are being made examples of and I don't really see what it achieves - they are not a danger or threat, it's not like they are going to be 'reformed' or anything like that and they will most likely gain sympathy from the public. I agree that a very hefty fine, or some sort of community service may have been more appropriate.

I feel really sorry for their son in all of this.
Oh yes, I'd forgotten about that! And didn't he have someone writing his books for him too? (That last bit was clearly intended as ironic humour, but only just.)

I've actually read one of his books, it was about the attempt by Mallory and Irvine to climb Mount Everest. It was very interesting.

I feel really sorry for their son in all of this.

God, yeah, he seems to be in a truly awful position. What parents as well, laying into each other like a pair of injured tigers.
I've actually read one of his books, it was about the attempt by Mallory and Irvine to climb Mount Everest. It was very interesting.

Well, well done for making it through it, anyway. Although to be fair I heard his book about prison is fairly good, too. God. I'm advertising Jeffrey Archer.
Reply 56
God, yeah, he seems to be in a truly awful position. What parents as well, laying into each other like a pair of injured tigers.

Do you know him, Peter?
He will be out in four months and if he ever wants to, he will be able to run for Parliament again because he was sentenced to less than a year in prison :unimpressed:
Reply 58
Original post by CelticSymphony67
He will be out in four months and if he ever wants to, he will be able to run for Parliament again because he was sentenced to less than a year in prison :unimpressed:

He could be out in 2 months. It's unlikely he'll want to be an MP again and even more unlikely he'd get elected. However, I wouldn't bet against him being back in Parliament. I could see him as a Lib Dem peer in the House of Lords in a few years. Lord Huhne of Eastleigh in the County of Hampshire.
Original post by andypandy11
He could be out in 2 months. It's unlikely he'll want to be an MP again and even more unlikely he'd get elected. However, I wouldn't bet against him being back in Parliament. I could see him as a Lib Dem peer in the House of Lords in a few years. Lord Huhne of Eastleigh in the County of Hampshire.

TBH neither is likely - he won't ever run as an MP again and he is too tainted to be Peered.

I suspect he will end up working quietly at something, perhaps a backroom job in a Windmill pressure group or something. Vicky, what will happen to her now??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending