The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kibalchich
So its behaviour that defines chavs then? So why does a Google image search on "chav" bring up a particular fashion style?

Behaviour as well as a certain image, yes. Google image search "douchebag" and you'll see people with a similarly distinguishable "style" about them, but that doesn't mean "douchebag" is something other than a word to describe an annoying person.
Original post by Barksy
How would you bring about your equal utopia?
To be honest, I think we're too far gone, I don't think there is much that can or will be done right now other than tinkering around the edges. It's worth noting, however, that for 99% of human history, we have lived in societies of "equal utopia" as hunter-gatherers; that is the human norm, industrial civilisation is the exception.
So its behaviour that defines chavs then? So why does a Google image search on "chav" bring up a particular fashion style?

It's the same with Mods & Rockers back in the '50s. The media have created this chav image. Fashion affiliation reinforces the general image of the individual and makes it easier to create a collective image of 'chavs'.
Reply 123

Given that chavs actually dress like that and behave in similar ways I don't see what point you're trying to achieve other than being the usual anal leftist.

Flying defines birds. That doesn't mean you should overlook the fact they all have feathers, too.
Reply 124
Original post by faber niger
To be honest, I think we're too far gone, I don't think there is much that can or will be done right now other than tinkering around the edges. It's worth noting, however, that for 99% of human history, we have lived in societies of "equal utopia" as hunter-gatherers; that is the human norm, industrial civilisation is the exception.

Life is better now than it was then...
I agree that such behaviour is unacceptable, however one must consider the reasons WHY it is occurring in the first place. As far as I can see, besides the obvious criminality, it is due to a severe lack of jobs and a benefit 'culture' that certainly needs addressing. However, to use the term 'chav' as a means of demonising the working-classes is ignorant and should be avoided in my view.

Discussing who is to blame (ie Labour/Tory squabbles) is both counterproductive and pathetic. It is how we solve these social and economic problems that should be the priority. The constant verbal ping pong between these two parties is infuriating.

In essence, don't argue over who caused the mess, just work to clean it up. Starting from the top of course.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Barksy
To suggest they are the only outcomes is pedantic at best.

lol you don't know what that word means, do you?
The media have played their role in glamourising it a LOT. I mean photos of Katie Price, Amy Childs, Kerry Katona, Chris Brown, Justin Bieber, Rihanna are being shoved in front of our faces week after week on the covers of trashy magazines like Heat and OK! Whilst this plays a small role, these 'stars' really don't realise what an impact they have on society. People WANT to be them. It's a sign society is becoming sick, when you aspire to be like a celeb who does not act as a good role model.
Reply 128
Original post by -strawberry-
Why hell do they need financial support?! Being a chav isn't a disability, it's a choice, and it's their choice that stops them from getting jobs because of their attitude, dress sense and language. What exactly are they being supported for? :s-smilie:

Ah yes. The rampant unemployment is because no-one can be bothered to dress properly for job interviews. Cut all the benefits!
Chavs have the right idea tbh. Its difficult to be a respectable citizen these days as a young person when one can hardly even work for free and tuition fees are ridiculous. Employers and the elite in general dont give a **** about native hard working Brits - the key is to embrace chavdom and riot like fuck over the coming summer.
Original post by Fullofsurprises
'Chav', the legitimised insult used to describe the poor, a group considered fair game for any kind of humiliation by the right-wing press. The Sun and the Mail make money by attacking this group. They are owned by offshored oligarchs who live in billion-dollar mansions and think up new ways to insult British poor people. Great.

Poverty does not legitimise this lifestyle choice. It's left wingers like you, who presumably mean well, who have robbed the working class of a sense of responsibility for their actions. It is completely unacceptable and society needs to make that crystal clear.

With friends like the Labour Party, who needs enemies?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 131
Original post by uktotalgamer
It's a drain on the UK, it's a drain on society, it's a drain on our culture. It's just awful.

Most anti social crimes in the UK are committed by these morons, lets be tougher on them!

They stand for the "working class"? No they don't. I'm working class and I despise them.

It's about time we clamped down on these scumbags. All they do is drink or do drugs. They don't have jobs. The way they go on is appalling. It's time we clamped down.

Oh, and the thing that annoys me. "Oh, they need a cuddle. They just need support." No they don't. They need a kick up the arse. They need a prison sentance. They need a reality check.

These people are ruining this country by playing the "were working class" card.

Chavs are the product of the single mum society which the left promotes by handing out benefits for having kids outside wedlock.
Original post by Ronove
Ah yes. The rampant unemployment is because no-one can be bothered to dress properly for job interviews. Cut all the benefits!

Well actually, it is a factor. Would you rather a chav worked for you or someone who dressed well and spoke properly?
Original post by Tom78
You'z got Daily Mail syndrome?

So you hate poor / working class people and are generalising those who wear sports wear brands as criminals? You'd probably be surprised that other people commit crimes too and if you looked through the prisons there'd be a fiar amount of middle class people in there too.

What confuses me about your post is that surely most working class people wear sports brands or similar and therefore they are all "chavs" and "criminals" to you.

The fact certain people do those activities my friend is because of the poverty trap. They are raised in a community where there are little or no opportunities to do much other than get a low skilled job or where many are unemployed, therefore they need support to get out of the trap and be encouraged to follow through with their education so they can go to Uni > job > out of the trap.

Anyway, what your post spells out is not that you're angry with sports brands-wearing people or even the working class, but rather criminals instead, who could be from any background or class.

Criminals commit crimes, yes. You could have just posted a thread saying I hate criminals which would have sufficed but no you've made me write my new novel out on thestudentroom.

Bottom line: don't stereotype and avoid prejudice kids!

Didn't even read most of your post because I know that you're completely on the wrong path...

I don't hate upon sports wearing people. I hate against people who hoy bricks through windows for no reason, or start random fights for no reason.

All you sound like is another do gooder who has never really experienced a chav problem at all. Like its been said so many times in is thread before, if you group chav's and working class together like you have, you don't have a clue.
Original post by bennies4life
Chavs have the right idea tbh. Its difficult to be a respectable citizen these days as a young person when one can hardly even work for free and tuition fees are ridiculous. Employers and the elite in general dont give a **** about native hard working Brits - the key is to embrace chavdom and riot like fuck over the coming summer.

People like you are terrible for this country.
Original post by GarethEvans
I agree that such behaviour is unacceptable, however one must consider the reasons WHY it is occurring in the first place. As far as I can see, besides the obvious criminality, it is due to a severe lack of jobs and a benefit 'culture' that certainly needs addressing. However, to use the term 'chav' as a means of demonising the working-classes is ignorant and should be avoided in my view.

Discussing who is to blame (ie Labour/Tory squabbles) is both counterproductive and pathetic. It is how we solve these social and economic problems that should be the priority. The constant verbal ping pong between these two parties is infuriating.

In essence, don't argue over who caused the mess, just work to clean it up. Starting from the top of course.

Why it has been caused shouldn't need to be a question in the first place.

There is no excuse for bad behaviour, simply due to poor economic conditions, that isn't an excuse. Oh damn, I can't find a job, better smash shit up, that'll help...

This country, through easy hand outs of benefits and bad social reform has created a whole society of diminished responsibility where no one has any respect for anyone else.
Reply 136
Original post by Barksy
Cry me a river. Chavs are scum. Stop trying to justify their behaviour in true Labourite fashion by blaming the normal members of society. Labour created this mess when they decided that letting scumbags live off other people's money was acceptable. When you subsidise idleness and degenerate culture you get more of it.

Instead of defending people like this, give them the kick up the arse they need, get them employed, and the rest will fall together.

Get them employed! Where to?? Maybe the Tories shouldn't have made so many cuts resulting in even more lose of jobs?

Get them employed, funniest thing I've heard in a while.
Original post by pandabird
Get them employed! Where to?? Maybe the Tories shouldn't have made so many cuts resulting in even more lose of jobs?

Get them employed, funniest thing I've heard in a while.

There are way more apprenticeships on offer to people who don't go to uni under the conservative government.
Original post by Zürich
Poverty does not legitimise this lifestyle choice. It's left wingers like you, who presumably mean well, who have robbed the working class of a sense of responsibility for their actions. It is completely unacceptable and society needs to make that crystal clear.

What do you mean by "legitimise this lifestyle choice" - it's a crime to you that they want to wear particular clothes? Or are you talking about other things, like chronic obesity (a result of decades of promotional work by cheap food corporations and second-rate education, poverty amongst long-term unemployed parents, etc), criminality (nobody is excusing that) or lack of self-respect? (Another common attribute of the permanently unemployed).

Nobody, surely, is saying it's a good thing that there is a large underclass with severe difficulties re-integrating with society, but what caused this underclass to form in the UK, why does it exist? Who is responsible for the plight of children brought up in it?

It's very easy for middle class kids to sneer or feel disgust without stopping to think how they might have coped being brought up in such situations, but also this is a label thing - my experience is that the label 'chav' has been extended well beyond the above poor underclass, to act as a general put-down on working class people and anyone who doesn't share the middle-class mode of dressing in particular.
If we got rid of the chav culture then how would we laugh at them on all those great TV shows :rolleyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending