The Student Room Group

At what age do student finance no longer take my parents income into account?

In an unrelated thread, someone said you are considered a mature student when you're 21.

I start university for a 4 year sandwich course in September, and will be 21 in October, so I'm aware for that year, my parents' income is definitely taken into account when deciding the amount of my loan and grant.

If I'll be considered a mature student in my 2nd year, will this change?

If you could link me to some proof too, that'd be great :smile:
Original post by matt9210
In an unrelated thread, someone said you are considered a mature student when you're 21.

I start university for a 4 year sandwich course in September, and will be 21 in October, so I'm aware for that year, my parents' income is definitely taken into account when deciding the amount of my loan and grant.

If I'll be considered a mature student in my 2nd year, will this change?

If you could link me to some proof too, that'd be great :smile:

Hello matt9210, it maybe that a university considers you a mature student at 21. However this is a little different from what Student Finance considers as an 'independent' student. (If you are considered independent they don't look at your parents income) If it's just going on your age you have to be over 25 on the first day of the academic year. However there are some other situations where student finance may consider you an independent student before you're 25 depending on your circumstances.

If you follow this link it gives a break down of how Student Finance assesses if you're independent or not: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/96449/001_independent_students_fact_sheet_v03.pdf

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by The University of Sheffield
Hello matt9210, it maybe that a university considers you a mature student at 21. However this is a little different from what Student Finance considers as an 'independent' student. (If you are considered independent they don't look at your parents income) If it's just going on your age you have to be over 25 on the first day of the academic year. However there are some other situations where student finance may consider you an independent student before you're 25 depending on your circumstances.

If you follow this link it gives a break down of how Student Finance assesses if you're independent or not: http://www.practitioners.slc.co.uk/media/96449/001_independent_students_fact_sheet_v03.pdf

Best of luck :smile:

Thanks tabbysheep and University of Sheffield! :smile:

I'm going to the Sheffield department open day tomorrow, but thought I'd ask now in case I forget!

I looked on the Sheffield website, and using the calculator, saw that I am entitled to a £500 bursary based on my household income. Is this bursary guaranteed to every full time undergraduate that meets the requirements, or are they limited?
Original post by matt9210
Thanks tabbysheep and University of Sheffield! :smile:

I'm going to the Sheffield department open day tomorrow, but thought I'd ask now in case I forget!

I looked on the Sheffield website, and using the calculator, saw that I am entitled to a £500 bursary based on my household income. Is this bursary guaranteed to every full time undergraduate that meets the requirements, or are they limited?

Hello matt9210, our bursary is guaranteed for each year of your course so isn't limited, so long as the household income figure we get from SFE matches up.

We really hope you have an enjoyable day today, its great to have you coming along. If you have any questions please do let us know and we would love to hear how you got on and what you got up to.

All the best! :smile:
Hi I'm in a similar situation as Matt9210
I'm currently 19 and working full time, have been working full time in continuous employment since March 2011 and supported myself since this time. I live with my mother; but I pay rent (albeit at a reduced rate of 50/week) and buy all my own food etc.
I currently earn around £17,000/ year, and am entirley dependant on this money - I get no hand outs or 'unearned income' from my mother, despite living in her house.
I also moved out for a year, from February 2010 - January 2011, living with my (now ex-)partner, and worked part-time in a supermarket from soon after I left school (October 2009) until October 2010.
In theory I've hit 3 years of independant living, in that I can prove I've paid my own taxes/ NI etc (if I ring Inland Revenue...) but is this enough to be assessed as 'independant'?
I can't afford to go to uni if they count my mum's wages, as she will not be supporting me whilst I'm there - my income is my own, and I will be expected to rely on myself - there will be no 'unearned income' helping me out whilst at uni.
Oh, and I intend to study a Social Work degree full time at Norwich (UEA) from Sept 2014 - if any of that helps.

Any help greatly appreciated
Original post by HippieSkirt23
Hi I'm in a similar situation as Matt9210
I'm currently 19 and working full time, have been working full time in continuous employment since March 2011 and supported myself since this time. I live with my mother; but I pay rent (albeit at a reduced rate of 50/week) and buy all my own food etc.
I currently earn around £17,000/ year, and am entirley dependant on this money - I get no hand outs or 'unearned income' from my mother, despite living in her house.
I also moved out for a year, from February 2010 - January 2011, living with my (now ex-)partner, and worked part-time in a supermarket from soon after I left school (October 2009) until October 2010.
In theory I've hit 3 years of independant living, in that I can prove I've paid my own taxes/ NI etc (if I ring Inland Revenue...) but is this enough to be assessed as 'independant'?
I can't afford to go to uni if they count my mum's wages, as she will not be supporting me whilst I'm there - my income is my own, and I will be expected to rely on myself - there will be no 'unearned income' helping me out whilst at uni.
Oh, and I intend to study a Social Work degree full time at Norwich (UEA) from Sept 2014 - if any of that helps.

Any help greatly appreciated

Hello HippieSkirt23, as you started full time employment in March 2011 you will have built up over 3 years worth of continuous full time employment by the time you started your course in September 2014. This should qualify you as an independent student. However being classified as independent can sometimes be a bit complicated as Student Finance asses whether you have been "meeting your own living costs" over those three years, so its always worth giving Student Finance a ring to double check (0845 300 50 90 for Student Finance England).

As for evidence that you have been working you can provide old P60's or a letter from your employer(s) detailing when you have worked and what you have earned.

Hope this helps! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending