The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

St Cuthberts

Hello gang,

Now that college applications that have begun to be handed out, I thought I'd make a cheeky little thread for everyone who's been accepted into St Cuths.

Anyone heading to the open day 19th/20th?

Chris
Biomedical Science w/ Foundation Year.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I can't be going to Cuths alone surely?
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Rooster523
I can't be going to Cuths alone surely?

I hope that you're a drinker or it may feel like that when you're there as well!:biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by powderhound
I hope that you're a drinker or it may feel like that when you're there as well!:biggrin:

I've heard Cuths has quite the reputation for alcohol consumption...my liver is quivering at the thought of joining the Rugby team!
Reply 4
No, you're not alone! I've also been accepted into St. Cuth's but for Anthropology and Sociology. :smile:

Hannah
Reply 5
Ooh hi guys :smile: Didn't come across this thread before. I loved Cuth's on the open day :') And Durham's English dept seems awesome too so I'm excited haha! I just want to get the grades now. MOTIVATION!
St Cuths was awesome! Who went on the first day? Also anyone found the fb page? Add me if you went on the first day: Sabrina Draude
Reply 7
Original post by Sabrinadraude
St Cuths was awesome! Who went on the first day? Also anyone found the fb page? Add me if you went on the first day: Sabrina Draude

I did :') You probably didn't notice me, I wasn't the most social of people since I'm pretty shy. I did have a fab time though, I'm excited to come to Cuth's permanently :smile:

I can't add you because I haven't been added yet but it's here and you can send a request http://www.facebook.com/groups/cuthsopendays2013/
Reply 8
Thoroughly looking forward to October now, have fallen in love with Durham and Cuths even more so!
Reply 9
Original post by powderhound

I, erm, don't drink. Merely because I just don't enjoy it. I was actually really worried about this being true. (I originally applied to St Mary's) :frown:
Original post by JFA 95
I, erm, don't drink. Merely because I just don't enjoy it. I was actually really worried about this being true. (I originally applied to St Mary's) :frown:

I'm sure there will be plenty of people just like you. I am much more the novel-reading, movie-watching type and although I don't actively avoid drinking, I can't say I go out of my way for it. There was quite a party atmosphere on the open day but I think you have to consider that the open days are designed to impress us and they're not a fair representation of the college. Everyone was really friendly on the open day and I still felt I would fit in without needing to get off my face all the time :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by AbiC
I'm sure there will be plenty of people just like you. I am much more the novel-reading, movie-watching type and although I don't actively avoid drinking, I can't say I go out of my way for it. There was quite a party atmosphere on the open day but I think you have to consider that the open days are designed to impress us and they're not a fair representation of the college. Everyone was really friendly on the open day and I still felt I would fit in without needing to get off my face all the time :smile:

Cheers :smile:
Also I don't suppose you could help me with any of these queries:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=42181675&highlight=st%20cuthberts%20accomodation ?
Reply 12
I'm a first year at the minute, everyone finds a niche in Cuth's. Most nights during Freshers after the initial introductory ones where they keep everyone together so you can meet people there are lots of "quieter" nights such as pyjama parties and a pub quiz :smile:
I've heard Cuths has quite the reputation for alcohol consumption...my liver is quivering at the thought of joining the Rugby team!

This made me laugh more than it should of done.. I'm glad you enjoyed the open days! We're already working on Fresher's Week, so you'd better get in so you can enjoy another silent disco! Us Freps will take you to clubs this time though rather than sending you to bed, haha!
Reply 14
Anybody have any idea when we can start applying for accommodation?

CC
Original post by NellyNoodles
noods
Got into St. Cuth's too! Up for drinking/sleeping.... maybe working!
So excited looks like an awesome college, hopefully get the grades!
Quick question... which is better for first years, bailey or parson's?

(Geology BSc)
Reply 16
Original post by Georgie__Thomas
Got into St. Cuth's too! Up for drinking/sleeping.... maybe working!
So excited looks like an awesome college, hopefully get the grades!
Quick question... which is better for first years, bailey or parson's?

(Geology BSc)

Both are good, both are roughly equidistant from the science site. Both Parsons and Bailey are full of first years, so it really depends on whether or not you want catered.
Anybody have any idea when we can start applying for accommodation?

If I remember rightly, I think once you receive an unconditional offer (so results day) you'll be sent a pack of information. This pack will contain your fresher's handbook, information sheets and also an accomodation form.

The accommodation form has all the accomodation listed and you rank order them with your preferences, so 1 being what you most want and 4 being what you least want. That way, if you don't get your first, you should at least get your second. Then you have to play the waiting game!
Original post by NellyNoodles
If I remember rightly, I think once you receive an unconditional offer (so results day) you'll be sent a pack of information. This pack will contain your fresher's handbook, information sheets and also an accomodation form.

The accommodation form has all the accomodation listed and you rank order them with your preferences, so 1 being what you most want and 4 being what you least want. That way, if you don't get your first, you should at least get your second. Then you have to play the waiting game!

Just out of curiosity really - IB results day is waaay earlier than A level. Do you know if they'd 'unconditionalise' my offer (presuming I got the grades) on IB results day or would they wait until august? And following on from that, would they send accommodation forms then or wait?

Haha I'm not in any hurry to be honest but once I've got my results I know I'll be impatient to get on with everything and sort it all out. I think I'd still be plagued by this vague uncertainty that even if I'd met the conditions I somehow wouldn't get in until I got some kind of confirmation from the uni. I know that sounds really stupid but I'm a worrier :P
Reply 19
I actually think the accomodation forms come out around June-time, before exam results if I remember rightly.

Quick Reply

Latest