The Student Room Group

American Uni Financial Aid?

Hello,

So i've been accepted into my first and second choice universities in the US, when I applied both had fees that I could live with ($14,000 for 1, and $19,000).
One is Arizona State University the other is Central Florida. They both said they loved my application but then when I got all the confirmation through, they have both raised tuition to extortionate rates, with ASU being lowest at $34,500 for the year.

When I asked if any scholarships were available, they said only athletic ones, which I cannot get as they are extremely competitive over there.

So what do I do?
Please offer any suggestions :confused:
Athletic scholarships might not be all that competitive, especially in less popular sports (like football (soccer)). If you did well at school you could be in the running, especially if they like the rest of your application.

Otherwise you could try looking into 3rd party scholarships, eg from private institutions. Or if you're really set on going, you could look into student loans (again, you'd have to get these from a private institution like a bank, as you won't be eligible for the government loans).

A final option is to sue them - I'm not sure it's legal to hike tuition fees if they were advertised as something different before the application deadline.
Reply 2
Original post by John Wallis
Athletic scholarships might not be all that competitive, especially in less popular sports (like football (soccer)). If you did well at school you could be in the running, especially if they like the rest of your application.

Otherwise you could try looking into 3rd party scholarships, eg from private institutions. Or if you're really set on going, you could look into student loans (again, you'd have to get these from a private institution like a bank, as you won't be eligible for the government loans).

A final option is to sue them - I'm not sure it's legal to hike tuition fees if they were advertised as something different before the application deadline.

ASU's a good Div. 1 school in a decent conference, I think most of their scholarships are going to be reasonably competitive, though UCF might offer a better shot here.

3rd parties probably by far the best shout, suing them might work eventually but the cost of litigation will be pretty high.
Reply 3
Look at what scholarships they offer on their website and apply. They will do academic ones as well as random ones you wouldn't even have thought existed.

Also, if you have family (citizens) who live in the US you could ask them to co-sign a loan for you in order to pay the costs. Although they will have to have an extremely good credit rating with their bank, (i.e. no or very little debt).

Hope this helps.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending