The Student Room Group

Do A Level maths module types matter?

Hi

I'm going to be doing maths and further maths.
Unfortunately we don't get to choose which modules we take so:
At AS Maths: C1,C2,M1 AS F Maths: FP1,S1,D1
At A2 Maths: C3,C4,M2 A2 F Maths: FP2,S2,D2

My problems is that say I wanted to go to a highly rated university for Economics would I be looked down upon for not having S3,S4. The same goes for if I wanted to do Physics not having M3,M4?

Thanks in advance for anyone's replies :biggrin:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by ScienceGeek!
Hi

My problems is that say I wanted to go to a highly rated university for Economics would I be looked down upon for not having S3,S4. The same goes for if I wanted to do Physics not having M3,M4?

I doubt it.
Reply 2
Original post by Raiden10
I doubt it.

Any thoughts on why?
Reply 3
Hi

Its an advantage for a degree course like say maths and stats as you will already know the basics as thats what the lecturers expect you to know so they wont spend much time in the lectures teaching these things. However, if you're like me and your school only allows for you to do M1, M2 for maths and M3, M4, M5 for further maths its not really helpful for the future especially if you hate mechanics like me :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Aqib7
Its an advantage for a degree course like say maths and stats as you will already know the basics as thats what the lecturers expect you to know so they wont spend much time in the lectures teaching these things. However, if you're like me and your school only allows for you to do M1, M2 for maths and M3, M4, M5 for further maths its not really helpful for the future especially if you hate mechanics like me :smile:

Will I be disadvantaged in getting an original place though?
Reply 5
Will I be disadvantaged in getting an original place though?

You shouldn't do i've applied for actuarial science which has tons of stats in it and i have 3 offers so far. Just write your personal statement really well to make it seem like you're really interested in whatever you want to do.
Reply 6
Original post by Aqib7
You shouldn't do i've applied for actuarial science which has tons of stats in it and i have 3 offers so far. Just write your personal statement really well to make it seem like you're really interested in whatever you want to do.

Thank you very much!
Reply 7
Hi

As far as I'm aware, the modules you take do matter a bit to the top universities. I know of somebody who received an offer from Cambridge for Engineering which was higher than normal. When asked, they said it was because he took S2 and D1 as two of his further maths modules, which they don't look upon highly (D1 is particularly unfavourable, I think).
Reply 8
Original post by echoes.
As far as I'm aware, the modules you take do matter a bit to the top universities. I know of somebody who received an offer from Cambridge for Engineering which was higher than normal. When asked, they said it was because he took S2 and D1 as two of his further maths modules, which they don't look upon highly (D1 is particularly unfavourable, I think).

That's what I'm worrying about. :s-smilie:
Reply 9
If you apply for statistics degree it helps to have statistics modules such as s1 and s2
The fact that you're doing a good range of everything will be fine. It might be an issue if you were doing all the Mechanics and applying for Stats but you're doing a nice mix so it wouldn't be an issue.
Reply 11
Original post by cant_think_of_name
The fact that you're doing a good range of everything will be fine. It might be an issue if you were doing all the Mechanics and applying for Stats but you're doing a nice mix so it wouldn't be an issue.

What about an Economics degree?
My single contribution is if you can, do FP3. If you can get a good mark on that its a good boast.
However, your school I assume has set these modules for your class? If so I suggest going with them, rather than self teaching.
However if its just you in FM A2 I would ask if they can taylor to your requirments. (Pun intended :tongue:)
Reply 13
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
My single contribution is if you can, do FP3. If you can get a good mark on that its a good boast.
However, your school I assume has set these modules for your class? If so I suggest going with them, rather than self teaching.
However if its just you in FM A2 I would ask if they can taylor to your requirments. (Pun intended :tongue:)

Annoyingly they won't teach anything else, wish I didn't have to do d1/2.
Reply 14
Any thoughts on why?

Never mind, the other posters probably know more.
Hi

Nope, no problem. Your application to university doesn't even show which application modules you take at A level. Some may request your unit grades, in which case they'll find out. However, universities are not allowed to be biased (i.e. rejecting a physics applicant on the basis they studies a statistics module.)

This being said, the more mechanics you have done, the less you have to learn if you did Physics at university.
That is to say: You are at an advantage doing targeted modules, but you aren't at a disadvantage if you don't do them.
Annoyingly they won't teach anything else, wish I didn't have to do d1/2.

I found D1 so dull I self taught S2 (teacher didnt like that teehee)

BUT I am not in a great position to give advice, as I dossed about and missed all my good offers :tongue: and it sounds like your going for the creme de la cem of unis.
Fortunally FP3 dosnt follow on from FP2, so it could be self taught if you really love maths. But you will need to know lots of high end C4 stuff, which is normally taught end of A2's, so to fit in FP3 you would have to self teach that stuff earlier.
So it is a hassel, but I think a better thing to think about than whether you should do S3 or M3 etc...The modles dont actually get much harder after the second one as its a case of you KNOW whats going on so your just going further with it, and unis would rather see you can do all areas of the subjects.

(S3 is fun though, if you feel like picking it up for sh*its and giggles
and M2 is a doss if you found M1 easy)
Reply 17
Original post by GottaLovePhysics! :)
I found D1 so dull I self taught S2 (teacher didnt like that teehee)

BUT I am not in a great position to give advice, as I dossed about and missed all my good offers :tongue: and it sounds like your going for the creme de la cem of unis.
Fortunally FP3 dosnt follow on from FP2, so it could be self taught if you really love maths. But you will need to know lots of high end C4 stuff, which is normally taught end of A2's, so to fit in FP3 you would have to self teach that stuff earlier.
So it is a hassel, but I think a better thing to think about than whether you should do S3 or M3 etc...The modles dont actually get much harder after the second one as its a case of you KNOW whats going on so your just going further with it, and unis would rather see you can do all areas of the subjects.
(S3 is fun though, if you feel like picking it up for sh*its and giggles
and M2 is a doss if you found M1 easy)

I think if I can get out of D1/2 I will self teach FP3 and S3, thank you for your advice! Run out of rep allowance will do so tomorrow :smile:
Reply 18
A mate of mine who studies physics at Oxford only did M1, M2 & M3, he said that really for any physics degree try and get as many mechanics modules in as possible. The minimum is generally mechanics 1&2 :smile:
S1 and S2 is a sound foundation for university econ.

Quick Reply

Latest